The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

mea culpa. It was just irritating when n00b smarts off at solid contributors here. No respect. Doesn't justify lack of n00b respect on my part, but that one got me hackles up.

Hey, that spreadsheet is growing. A bunch today.

When I get some time where I don't have kids and chaos around here so I can freakin' concentrate, I will port that thing over to google spreadsheets and alphabetize by SF ID.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

2. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Can faintly recognize the word "Borrelli". Can anyone ID the maker? Looks to have been resoled.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Older Yohji Yamamoto?

[​IMG][​IMG]

TONS of other stuff. Don't have time to post.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] Where or where art thou size 36S?

4. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

Get these on ebay. The chukka/postman style are being remade, I guarantee people are hunting for originals.

Heres a pair of Irish Setters I posted in this thread a couple months ago. Also in EE size.
    ebay

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Y's is Yohji's diffusion line. :slayer:

That is the extent of my Y's knowledge.

Also: dem shoes!

6. Jettison

Jettison Well-Known Member

I stop reading the thread for a week (and couldn't even go cold turkey, just limited to 10 mins /day) and there's 700 posts. That's just insane.

Regarding noob initiations, sometimes reading the whole thread doesn't quite work. For example, I know I read somewhere (I think it was a DM7 post) about what Zegna trousers with 'xxxxx' on the waistband denote. But I can't find it again via search. Anyone help me out with these?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Keeping with the mundane bragging, a couple of nice Pink shirts. (Which don't want to stick to the right orientation...)

[​IMG]

Back to denoobification, though. A few posts back (of mine, not the thread- now buried under a thousand Brionis), I rustled up what I thought may have been bespoke suits, only to be helpfully informed of the distinction between bespoke and custom; a distinction my suits fell foul of.

Tomorrow I'll hopefully fare a little better :).

7. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

Yeah, Denver isn't a great place for shopping.... For those of you who read Klobber's post about his friend finding all that stuff. I hit 11 stores on saturday and bought 2 things!? A pair of Incotex pants and a BB sportcoat. I'd like to know where Klobber's friend shopped at, :laugh:

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Are the pants for sale? I am actually heading to London next week and I plan on stopping by a thrift store or two if I have the time :slayer:

Also, I swear this thread has exploded recently, it used to be a lot slower. Less questions and cheaper stuff, people mostly posted their big finds. or their finds for the week (If I remember correctly)

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Can someone teach me how to do the Citizen Kane clap? Huntsman pops its head into this thread every few thousand posts. But every time, I'm all :drool:

Edit: DOH! This time with the CORRECT quote.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Totally bummed right now. I bought a pair of Alden for Brooks Bros, Tassel loafers. Which I believed to be black shell cordovan. They arrived today...one is shell cordovan and the other is calfskin. They are the same style, but the difference is obvious. Seller does not accept returns....we shall see what he does about it. [​IMG]

11. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

The ***** mean its Zegna's diffusion line... pretty much worthless. I'll take them off your hands though if they're around size 34.

Okay... maybe it means they are made by Incotex.

12. Jettison

Jettison Well-Known Member

Should have said that trousers are for me (they're 2" wider than I'd like, but I'll take what I can get at this point).

Re: London. I actually picked up the Zegna's in the Oxfam mentioned way back when in the thread. While I've only had the chance to see about 4 shops on day trips, what I took from it was a) the quality is WAY higher than the provinces (about 1/3rd suits in one were Hugo Boss; I was casually flicking through Gieves overcoats, etc.), b) the shops are far bigger (akin to the warehouse sized places the US seems full of), c) the prices are ludicrous and d) the stores are so far apart that going for a dedicated spree is a massive hassle.

(That's from very limited experience, it must be stressed.)

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

What were the listed at in the auction shell or calf? Any pictures in the auction or easier, what was the item number? Sounds like you should have no problem with a SNAD if he decides to stick to his "no return policy" unless he said "one shell and one calf" and you just totally missed that in the auction description.

Also BIG THANKS!!!! Got the cufflinks today!!! [​IMG]

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

He didn't describe them much at all. Showed photos of the numbers in the side wall. I saw the one that said 740 (shell), but never looked at the other one 770 (calf). I should have cought that. I guess from now on I will ask if the shoes both came from the same pair. Of course to the unknowing seller, I'm sure they looked the same. It will just suck if I have to pay to return them.

Great! glad you like them!

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Most ebay sellers don't know much about the items that they are selling. Since this was misrepresentation (he didn't sell you a PAIR of shoes) then I would be surprised if he won't pay return shipping.

As for the no returns, that does not relieve the seller of the responsibility to accurately represent the items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.