The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

At least the one I go to the person at the desk will usually try to call the particular vendor if you are making an offer. Worth trying.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Definitely going to try. Maybe tonight or Wednesday. Will try to post pics and prices for everyone.

There is a lot of vintage jewelry there too I want to check out. --- possible cufflink extravaganza

Also found (one) sweet vintage wooden boot tree, wanted to ask if they had the other one around somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I dunno how much you want to invest in a mannequin, but I bought Perry (size 40, fiberglass wrapped in foam and covered in white jersey, semi-pinnable if you stick them in an oblique angle, center and side holes on the underside to use with or without pants, adjustable height, with a wooden head-cap and metal rolling base) for $104.95 shipped - AND NOT MADE IN CHINA).

He looks pretty classy in photographs - a lot of the boutiques on Newbury St. and the ones I saw on Grafton St. in Dublin over Easter weekend use almost exclusively this style in one slight variation or another.

PM for deets as I don't want to seem like a mannequin spammer - I'm not affiliated with the seller, but I did spend a significant time researching my purchase before actually pulling the trigger. [​IMG]

PS. You can see Perry to get an idea of what I'm talking about through the links in my sig. lines.

4. GHo

GHo Senior member

what's my cut? :nodding:

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oops, hope I didn't come across as a mannequin spammer, was just trying to help out.

I will send along some free satisfaction and pride for helping a brotha out.

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

I set up a saved search at http://www.notifinder.com/ for mannequins here in town then contacted one or two. I got my male torso mannequin with a rolling, telescoping stand for $35.

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

F yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Trying now. Thanks for the tip.

8. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

Dude. The things people post here are the things that are worth picking up. You don't see posts of Arrow or Stafford or Van Heusen shirts because they are not worth thrifting. The link to the Put This On tread that someone offered above is the closest you can find to a "how to" guide but you don't seem to be interested in that. It seems like you're looking for a super easy answer: ".....always buy X.....". There aren't easy answers like that, except things that you could figure out by reading the thread, "i.e., hmmmmm, everyone seems to comment a lot when someone finds a Kiton suit, so maybe I should pick up the Kiton when I find it....."

9. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Quote:
    I was on this guys side until he started getting all whiny. That said, the "start from the beginning" suggestion is played out, and really not very helpful (even if it would be the best way). There has to be a nicer way to say it. Additionally, if that is all you can provide in the way of a suggestion, maybe don't say anything at all. Drop something practical on him.

Quote: (My practical suggestion) This is totally goal dependent - I recently picked up two Arrow BDs for $3 apiece, because I have lost weight, and have next to nothing to wear. I find one or two salvageable dress shirts every two weeks of thrifting where I live, so it was a cheap fix. I look better today in Arrow, than I did last week John Nordstrom, because the Arrow fits. When I find replacements I will ditch the cheapies.

10. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

Good point. My assumption was he was looking for things that are higher end.

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Why are people even responding to this Regg?

For every person who comes asking for quick tips, that means less finds for another veteran member. Thrift stores are already cluttered with flippers/competition. Nothing wrong with new people joining, but don't get offended if we don't trip over ourselves trying to help this new guy by outlining everything he should do in a thrift. Add on the fact that he is rude, and everyone will get even snarkier.

I don't get how "read from the beginning" is played out. It's the best advice I can think of, and will hopefully weed out the people looking to get rich quick from their trips to goodwill.

For what its worth, I hope he reads the thread from the beginning, and finds a size 36 suit jackpot as a result of his knowledge.

12. Regg

Regg Senior member

Yes, why are you responding?

This is comedic. Less finds for veteran members, lmao. I asked a simple question and got obnoxious responses. I questioned those responses and people responded with the same garbage. Now obnoxious people are posting obnoxiously calling me obnoxious for responding to obnoxious posts. You guys slay me.

I had a couple people pm me with very simple and very useful information, and I thank them. They proved the obvious that there was some basic advice that could be given instead of the old "read the thread you lazy noob" bullshit.

You guys don't want to help, that's fine. You guys are all above me, cool

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Regg: Hey guys, I don't want to do any work to find information.

People in thread: You could try reading the thread.

Regg: Wow, you guys suck, I want this information spoon fed to me in small words so I can understand.

PIT: ...... whatevs

14. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.