• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Wow!!

Certainly real! Est. 2005-2007. Also, those pillows are tempting me.

LOL WUT the women's shoe with the highest resale value of anything is not awesome?

:slayer:

Thanks Spoo!

These pillows would accent those Versace Atelier rugs quite nicely. :devil:

LOL WUT the women's shoe with the highest resale value of anything is not awesome?

+1. Crazy find!

My wife would go bananas if I found her another pair. I found her a couple pair (w/ shoe bags) along with some other very high end shoes (Jimmy Choo, etc) last year at a garage sale. She had tears of joy.

(perfect for typhoid jones who seems to wreck a desk every other week)

:laugh:

Hah, my bad! I think the inseam is too short for me though :(

Yeah, same here. They hit a bit above the knee. I like knee length.

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score

Hmmmmm, a friend of mine had an incredible haul from Denver, Colorado. Too good to be true - we talking Rolex watches, Hermes, Kiton, the list he sent me is shocking. He thrifts for himself though and he is a different size to me :(

Based on his finds, I am going to haul ass to Denver one of these days. Colorado may be a sleeping giant.

Any Colorado folks here? How do you rank your state for thrifting?

Kitontini and I are the only ones I've seen post on this thread. He finds all sorts of amazing things, but often his best finds are from a men's consignment store here in town, not a true thrift. That said, all of my finds are from thrifts and include Hermes, Gucci, Turnbull and Asser, tons of Thomas Pink, Zegna, Tyrwhitt, etc. No Kiton yet. We have an Hermes standalone boutique here in Denver, as well as a fine men's shop that does Kiton-level stuff, so the finds are out there. The only thing we lack is a critical mass of people who dress outside of the T-shirt, jeans, and Patagonia norms. It is a fit, youthful city, but one without much classical style.

I haven't thrifted with this much knowledge in any other state, but I'm sure I could do some serious damage in a more wealthy area like LA, SF, NY, or Dallas.

ROLEX WATCH? **** is fake, guaranteed. The best watch I've found is an automatic Seiko I'm wearing right now. Retail is around $400. I'd like to know who this is so we can tag team some stores someday...if he's into sharing the wealth.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ROLEX WATCH? **** is fake, guaranteed. The best watch I've found is an automatic Seiko I'm wearing right now. Retail is around $400. I'd like to know who this is so we can tag team some stores someday...if he's into sharing the wealth.

i found a real deal operational omega seamaster deluxe the other day, but they wanted 90 bucks for it and it wasn't in the best of shape and you can't get a look at the movement on those without taking the entire watch apart so i just passed =/

acosbysweater

Reaction score
i found a real deal operational omega seamaster deluxe the other day, but they wanted 90 bucks for it and it wasn't in the best of shape and you can't get a look at the movement on those without taking the entire watch apart so i just passed =/

I'm guessing you could've flipped that for at least 200 bucks or so, even for parts. Going back on half off day?

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing you could've flipped that for at least 200 bucks or so, even for parts.  Going back on half off day?

nah it's long gone. i probably should have just bought it but there were a couple things i was uncomfortable w/ and i'm not any sort of watch expert. to do it again though, i would just buy it. oh well next time!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could definitely use some glen plaid...
I also need SCs, but I need to find some SCs in your size first!

OK I will PM pics to ya!
Im not sure what SC's I have for you other than that Isaia Aquaspider Navy. Please tell me I did not accidentally trade away something I was meant to be holding for you :embar: :hide:

Kitontini and I are the only ones I've seen post on this thread. He finds all sorts of amazing things, but often his best finds are from a men's consignment store here in town, not a true thrift. That said, all of my finds are from thrifts and include Hermes, Gucci, Turnbull and Asser, tons of Thomas Pink, Zegna, Tyrwhitt, etc. No Kiton yet. We have an Hermes standalone boutique here in Denver, as well as a fine men's shop that does Kiton-level stuff, so the finds are out there. The only thing we lack is a critical mass of people who dress outside of the T-shirt, jeans, and Patagonia norms. It is a fit, youthful city, but one without much classical style.
I haven't thrifted with this much knowledge in any other state, but I'm sure I could do some serious damage in a more wealthy area like LA, SF, NY, or Dallas.

OK - Denver sounds like a good place to be.
Rolex Watch? Yeah what I thought as well regarding fake, however, I hope for my friends sake it works out. I have never seen a Rolex watch at a thrift store though, but out in the wild, well counterfeited brands like Louis Vuitton, I find probably 20 fakes for every 1 beat up authentic piece. I imagine the same odds for Rolex as well. I hope authentic for my sake as well, I am Jonesing for one of his watches.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nah it's long gone. i probably should have just bought it but there were a couple things i was uncomfortable w/ and i'm not any sort of watch expert. to do it again though, i would just buy it. oh well next time!

Dont blame you for not doing it. It was a lot of coin, and how can one be 100% sure authentic. I was stung on a pair of Louis Vuitton shoes, paid $165, and fakeroooo. I know LV well, but I made a huge mistake on these particular shoes, amazing well made fake that fooled me, but fake nonetheless. The serial number proved to be a dud even though it looked totally legit.

951socal

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a question. how do you you guys make all this money thrifting?

i see some of you guys selling suits at $150!!
and ties at $50-60

im lucky to get $20 for a tie and $55 for a suit.

someone mentioned a consigner, can you guys recommend a good consigner?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a question. how do you you guys make all this money thrifting?

i see some of you guys selling suits at $150!!
and ties at $50-60

im lucky to get $20 for a tie and $55 for a suit.

someone mentioned a consigner, can you guys recommend a good consigner?

It depends what you are buying. If you thrift Kiton you should get more then $150. If you thrift crap you will get under $55. Good good good pictures, good feedback reputation on ebay, time and patience. Things dont just fall in your lap. People who spend more time make more money. As Thomas Jefferson once said "I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have"

Can anyone give me a quick "age check" on how old this might be? Blazer or Orphaned suit jacket?

086_1334780249.jpg

135_1334780269.jpg

136_1334780273.jpg

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I get the bullet point summary of the MoL vs. valium feud?
:stirpot:

I wasn't aware Val and I were at odds. Happy to be confused with DM7, but only by the thrifting Gods.

@ Mainy: like the VV check shirt, but suspect its Ebay bound. If there's any chance to trade let me know; I have one Zegna shirt left (though it is a larger size) Just sold. Dang. Will try to PM with an offer.

[EDIT: Have I mentioned how much I HATE working SF on my BB? Is there a mobile app? If not, who can I bug about getting on that?]

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. Who knew? Besides you, I mean!
lol8[1].gif

Well I had been wanting one a while back... to use for staging my shoe photos. Every one I found at thrifts were NFS...even if I offered 20 bucks. I checked them out online, but didn't like the prices I was seeing. Never expected to come across a box of 9 last night. They had just put them out, and were amazed anyone wanted them.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
It depends what you are buying. If you thrift Kiton you should get more then $150. If you thrift crap you will get under $55. Good good good pictures, good feedback reputation on ebay, time and patience. Things dont just fall in your lap. People who spend more time make more money. As Thomas Jefferson once said "I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have"

Can anyone give me a quick "age check" on how old this might be? Blazer or Orphaned suit jacket?

086_1334780249.jpg

135_1334780269.jpg

136_1334780273.jpg

That looks super recent to me. Maybe even current. Zegna labels say on the bottom left whether they are suits or sport coats. Mines a jacket, and you can see it says that by all the black thread.

Brian, that might even be NWOT. Sometimes I think that retailers will donate items for whatever reason, and mark the label with a sharpie to make sure no one tries to return it. I don't see any other reason that labels would have a marker through them. I see it on Target brands all the time, because Target donates a **** ton of stuff at season changes.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks, thats what I thought, knew about the label, but as its cut off, can't tell. Dont think its going to work due to the sleeve length and working button cuffs
facepalm.gif
Bummer as its a nice jacket even if I had the buttons swapped out for metal/horn ones to make it a stand out blazer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads