• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! I just found a navy blue windowpane check D'Avenza super 120s 6x2 db suit in perfect condition! Not a fan of db in general, but can't pass up a D'Avenza!!!
bounce2.gif
Pockets are still sewn shut... buttons appear to be buffalo... Not as lucky as texas_jack, but I'm pleased... my first D'Avenza.
inlove.gif

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
WOW!!! I just found a navy blue windowpane check D'Avenza super 120s 6x2 db suit in perfect condition! Not a fan of db in general, but can't pass up a D'Avenza!!!
bounce2.gif
Pockets are still sewn shut...

Not as lucky as texas_jack, but I'm pleased... my first D'Avenza.
inlove.gif

I don't own any of their stuff but I've held several jackets and they all were real nice including the ones made for Bijian.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was the funniest thing -- as I was going through the rack of suits at Goodwill this evening, I overheard a father helping his teenage son pick out a sportcoat (most likely his first). At one point the Dad held up a sad, shapeless blue blazer for his son to see, and exclaimed with hubris, "Cricketeer! That's a good brand! This probably cost a hundred dollars!!" I stifled a laugh (at least I hope I stifled it!) A few seconds later I spot the d'Avenza suit - not more than a foot away from where Dad and son are fawning over the ancient Cricketeer! I wanted to say, "Actually, guys, that Cricketeer was probably made well before your son was even born. Now this, sir, is a good brand..." as I thrust the d'Avenza up in the air as if it were a championship trophy or an Olympic gold medal. But I didn't, of course! They wouldn't have gotten it, anyway... (like the Washington Post commercial - if you don't get it, you don't get it!) so I quickly slipped the d'Avenza off the hanger and walked with purpose directly to the cash register with a satisfied smirk across my face. Cricketeer, indeed! Muaaaahhahahahahaaha!!!

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
It was the funniest thing -- as I was going through the rack of suits at Goodwill this evening, I overheard a father helping his teenage son pick out a sportcoat (most likely his first). At one point the Dad held up a sad, shapeless blue blazer for his son to see, and exclaimed with hubris, "Cricketeer! That's a good brand! This probably cost a hundred dollars!!" I stifled a laugh (at least I hope I stifled it!) A few seconds later I spot the d'Avenza suit - not more than a foot away from where Dad and son are fawning over the ancient Cricketeer! I wanted to say, "Actually, guys, that Cricketeer was probably made well before your son was even born. Now this, sir, is a good brand..." as I thrust the d'Avenza up in the air as if it were a championship trophy or an Olympic gold medal. But I didn't, of course! They wouldn't have gotten it, anyway... (like the Washington Post commercial - if you don't get it, you don't get it!) so I quickly slipped the d'Avenza off the hanger and walked with purpose directly to the cash register with a satisfied smirk across my face. Cricketeer, indeed! Muaaaahhahahahahaaha!!!

It is probably for the best that you did not reveal your Sartorial Superprowess to the man.

He may have told you to **** off as they were not looking for suits.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three pairs of slightly worn Allen Edmonds wingtips, pre-triple wing, one in black, one in oxblood, one in brown. Not quite thrift store prices, but for ebay, $80 shipped is a deal. Is this even the place for ebay bragging? I figure if I don't want to wear all of them, I can sell each one for profit.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Found a new store today...

In addition to the huge bag of Matchbox cars and car holder for $5 for my kids, found a pair of navy blue braces (suspenders) still new in the box from Lord & Taylor. Even includes the unopened pack of buttons to add to your pants.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifting has been terrible lately. Today's trip almost ended up as another waste of gas, but alas - the last store I hit went to has just put out some new ties. What irked me is what one of the employees said to me. I was walking along and he said "I'm glad someone is taking advantage of those ties! I went through a lot of trouble to save them. We got a whole box of them in a couple days ago - maybe 300 or so and they didn't want to bother putting them out and were going to throw them away!". I couldn't believe it - there was some nice stuff in this lot! Thanks to this guy, some were saved. Terrible picture, I know. From left to right: Brioni, Tino Cosma, Versace, Canali, Fendi, Brioni.
f4cf0de9.jpg
What the hell were they thinking?! Staples?!
be3e9d1e.jpg

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a NWT Ben silver blazer for $7.00 today, have no idea who made it, it was made in the US, loads of hand work....curious.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by walneal
first thrift find:
abd6f391.jpg
$ 20

Wow! I'm surprised they knew they had something special and marked it up so high (relatively speaking) - were the other wallets and card holders around $5?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
What the hell were they thinking?! Staples?!

Staples in a woven can still not be the end of the world. Straighten the staples then pull them out gently and carefully. Then knead the silk with your fingers. As infuriating as that is, staples are still better than the plastic thingies.

Originally Posted by texas_jack
Picked up a vintage Harris tweed raglan topcoat. It's grey and navy and I'll probably wear it tomorrow since it's supposed to be in the upper 40s in the morning.

The quality of vintage overcoats is really amazing. A lot of them are odd brands or store brands, but they're really great.

Originally Posted by walneal
first thrift find:

abd6f391.jpg

$ 20

Good grief! Really, at a thrift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads