• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a Luciano Barbera Sartoriale blazer today, in my size, $4.00

pitboss12

Reaction score
Picked up a 3/2 roll Herringbone jacket for $5.99. It was originally from Desmond's in Los Angeles(no longer around I'm guessing). Customer tag reads JAN 31, 1968.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a good week:

Recent black Brioni suit with textured pinstripe - $20. Oddly, I found this suit at a Goodwill in the middle of nowhere. I think this suit was the most expensive thing in the store. I had to laugh when I noticed the orphaned Hugo Boss jacket "on sale" for $50 right next to the Brioni.

MTM Alexandre of London Harris tweed jacket - $5

H Freeman & Sons charcoal pinstripe suit (perfect fit) - $12

Some vintage cufflinks and tie clips - $2 each

Lanvin tie - $2

CutCleanQuick

Reaction score
Just wait until you try to lift your leg to do a kick with those gunboats on!
Heh-heh, won't be a issue for me as I've been in martial arts a long time- though I recently qualified for the "Senior Discount" at places that observe the AARP definition. The additional sword training is actually a tougher leg work out than on your shoulders or arms. I had a few minutes to kill yesterday and stopped by another thrift. Samuelsohn jacket in a nice navy/pinstripe and a Canali Milano though the Samuelsohn is large for me but was too nice to let sit on the rack and end up in Nogales so I'll offer it up here after my 45 day penance. I didn't think I'd find good buys in Tucson as our upscale department store is defined by Macys.
confused.gif
With the retiree population moving here I'm sure to find some donated gems hidden between the racks of Towncrafts.

Motol12

Reaction score
Hit up a Goodwill in Rome (New York, not Europe) yesterday, and came out with some pretty nice finds. Although I had to wade through some real crap to find it, there were some very nice clothes there.

Snagged a vintage navy pinstriped Alan Flusser suit for thirteen dollars, along with a fairly new white Lorenzini shirt for only six dollars. Ironically, the Lorenzini was next to an Armani shirt priced at twenty-eight dollars.

Also saw a good-looking Joseph Abboud suit that was too small for me, along with my first ever sighting of a Jantzen dress shirt at a trift store. Anyone else ever seen (or bought) a thrifted Janzen?

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motol12
Anyone else ever seen (or bought) a thrifted Janzen?

I've seen some Jantzens but they were the one that I think is affiliated with Perry Ellis, not the custom shirt maker. I've seen many custom shirts in general, but they are frequently monogrammed or don't fit. I've never bought one. Most of the custom shirts I see in thrift stores are huge. I guess big guys are more likely to need custom shirts and also more likely to fluctuate in size, thus dumping what doesn't fit.

mike

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Here's what I wrote a couple of weeks ago regarding "Jantzen"
Originally Posted by whacked
I'm most positive that shirt does not come from the HK-based Jantzen this forum is enamored with, but this now-shutdown Jantzen Knitting Mills in Portland, OR. I run into the latter all the time while thrifting, and I knew someone here would eventually make that mistake.

laugh.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at the Goodwill in Seven Corners, Virginia today... there were about 7 custom-made Hemrajani shirts in various fabrics all from the same guy in good condition (no real signs of wear, but probably a few years old)... unfortunately they were all too big for me. I'd estimate they were about a size 17 1/2-36? If they're your size they're a pretty good deal at like $5 a pop or whatever Goodwill charges for shirts. Not an earth-shattering deal, but a nice find if they're your size!

devin

Reaction score
Goodwill in Rockville MD (off of Montrose Rd) must have gotten a whole pile of stuff from the same guy. Couple of Brioni odd jackets, Canali jacket, Oxxford tux, Oxxford suit or two, some Brioni shirts, some Paul Frederick shirts, a Borrelli shirt, tons of AEs in 12.5 AAA, a pair of patent leather bals in 12.5 AAA. The jackets are 48R or L I believe. Shirts in the 17 range, I don't remember (too big for me). A lot of it had some deal breaker problems, but if you're good with stains it's worth a look. Sadly the Borrelli had two low quality buttons on the placket (replacements), otherwise those buttons alone would have been worth the score
smile.gif

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by a TJ Maxx. Was looking to get a RL sweater for the upcoming fall/winter. They had a ton of cotton v-neck sweaters for $40-$50 so I passed. Then a black turtle neck sweater caught my fancy. It was a RL Black Label for $49 (retail tag on it was $285) so I picked it up. This was the same TJ MAxx where I picked up a purple lable cashmere v-neck for $50 (retail $695 or something like that).

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by devin
Goodwill in Rockville MD (off of Montrose Rd) must have gotten a whole pile of stuff from the same guy. Couple of Brioni odd jackets, Canali jacket, Oxxford tux, Oxxford suit or two, some Brioni shirts, some Paul Frederick shirts, a Borrelli shirt, tons of AEs in 12.5 AAA, a pair of patent leather bals in 12.5 AAA. The jackets are 48R or L I believe. Shirts in the 17 range, I don't remember (too big for me). A lot of it had some deal breaker problems, but if you're good with stains it's worth a look. Sadly the Borrelli had two low quality buttons on the placket (replacements), otherwise those buttons alone would have been worth the score
smile.gif

The blue brioni jacket had some workable stains but the cigarette hole wasn't. The tux had some stains but I have one allready. The black and white check suit and white silk jacket are mine
bounce2.gif

Thanks devin
bigstar[1].gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
The blue brioni jacket had some workable stains but the cigarette hole wasn't. The tux had some stains but I have one allready. The black and white check suit and white silk jacket are mine
bounce2.gif
Thanks devin
bigstar[1].gif

Didn't either of you get the Borrelli shirt?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I really can't be bothered with thrifting shirts. It's too much work to find them.
I know what you mean - IIRC that Goodwill in Rockville has four long racks of shirts - two against the back wall - one on top of the other, and two against the back right wall - one on top of the other. Probably over 300 shirts to go through... I do remember finding a nice Lorenzini shirt in that very store a few years back... maybe I'll hike over there after work tomorrow and try to hunt down the Borrelli... You did well to find the checkered suit and the silk jacket - especially since your size isn't as common as 40R or 42R...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads