• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I'd guess 30's-40's, likely '35-'45, but it's hard to pin down. A pic of the box would be interesting. It's possible they could be earlier, but I don't think the Swank name was used very early.

Thanks again. I would not have guessed they were that old. Very interesting. I will try to post a picture of the box at some point. I wonder if the snap design was a way of cutting down on the amount of metal used, it being Depression/WWII era. That might also account for the small size.

mike

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
So little old New Braunfels gets that kind of stuff and up the road in the big city we get Perry Ellis, Claiborne, etc. Go figure. Oh well. I wonder if they are getting castoffs from the outlet stores in San Marcos? I will have to try to stop in next time I am down that way, but that is not often.

Hope you are doing OK, all things considered. I am just up the road. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Thanks, Mike, for the good words and kind thoughts. Things are going pretty well, all things considered. We're renting a nice house here in downtown New Braunfels, our daughter has started school here and I'm able to do work from afar.

The pants I found here in NB. They were an odd bird, no doubt. Wrinkled to all hell, but otherwise in pristine condition, they were a steal at $1.49. The pocket square I found in the Marshalls near the outlets in San Marcos. It's similar to ones I've found at other Marshalls.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
at the New Braunfels Ross, I found a pair of gray/green NWT Costume National trousers for $1.49.

Between this and the Oxxford trousers a few months ago, you really, really know your Ross! I've only seen decent stuff there once a blue moon, and nowhere near this level at my local store. They do have some good stuff, but in other departments.

Jferg4350

Reaction score
Not much this time

Robert Talbot Necktie
Christian Dior Necktie
Total - $4.00

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Ended up having one of my best thrifting days yet. I found 3 Sulka suits and one by Harrison James. All perfect condition in charcoal, mid grey, navy and navy pinstripe. Whoever bought these had great taste.

The ** might be Isaia. They did some work for them. Great finds!

CutCleanQuick

Reaction score
Yesterday I dropped off some items at a local thrift and went browsing. Found a pair of old-school Florsheim Imperial Wingtips with the square cut nails, double soles, heel & toe plates, with almost no wear and in my 11E size to boot. $15 and they were sitting by a couple pair of nice cedar shoe trees $2. The style is a little busy for my tastes but I've decided to try and let it grow on me. Plus it's a hell of a martial arts shoe. Also scooped up a nice subtle plaid Polo Blazer for $5 and a vintage Andy Warhol tie for a buck that's going to ebay.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 100% cashmere Canali jacket in a size 42 (hence to be flipped), a pair of bespoke brown brogues in good condition but with some serious patina developed, and a couple of decent quality shirts (a T.M.Lewin and a Hackett from memory).

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
Harrison-James was an AMAZING STORE! Outstanding taste level and unmatched consistent quality!

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CutCleanQuick
Found a pair of old-school Florsheim Imperial Wingtips with the square cut nails, double soles, heel & toe plates, with almost no wear and in my 11E size to boot. ... it's a hell of a martial arts shoe.

Just wait until you try to lift your leg to do a kick with those gunboats on!
eh.gif

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Just wait until you try to lift your leg to do a kick with those gunboats on!
eh.gif

Strained patella anyone? Great shoe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads