1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Are there advantages over using thrift stores over vintage, and vice versa?

For example, thrift stores seem to have more recent clothes and are cheaper in price, whereas vintage stores might be of better quality and more organized (such as having suits separated by era).

Well I don't like any of the neckties at vintage stores.... they're truly "vintage", as in 4.5" wide and polyester and gaudy...

2. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

Stopped by one of those Value Village places during lunch... for $46 I got:

Alden burgundy Medallion tip (last 958)... looks like they've been worn less than a dozen times
    2 Charles Tyrwhitt French cuff shirts
    1 Canali dress shirt

3. CorneliusP

CorneliusP Senior member

Is it taboo to ask what sorts of thrift and consignment shops that people go to? I have only been to the several goodwills in my area and never seem to find anything that I could even consider decent. I even live in a relatively rich area (Monterey, ca). I realize that it is a luck and timing thing, but there has got to be something else to it; dedication? Going during lunch? Knowing somebody that works there who will call you when the new stuff is put out?

Keep in mind that sharing your magnificent tips means more thrifting to be had for trades!

Also, does anyone else thrift near Monterey? I wouldn't want to encroach on someone else's territory

PS I am lying I will totally get all up in your store [​IMG]

4. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

Cornelius:

I go to thrift shops about 2-3 times a week varying from Salvation Army's and Goodwills (I find SA's to have significantly better selection) to smaller local places (check thethriftshopper.com for those) which are benefitting specific churches or community organizations to Value Village/Unique (nationwide chain, only 1% goes to charity though).

As far as taboo to mention goes, I prefer not to name specific places because it's a bit of a competition, especially since SF results come up a lot on Google...so if people search for "best monterey ca thrift stores" you wouldn't want them all to hit up your store.

The key is to go relatively frequently to a variety of places...don't bother going to the smaller places as often because they typically take longer to restock and don't have as much to restock. The bigger places (SA, GW, VV, etc) will have lots of new stuff everyday. Going in the morning is always best, but if you're like me and work a 9-5 then going during lunch every once in a while or going weekend mornings is good. I say mornings because there are people who thrift and resell for a living and they do this during the day...so, one person hits up the place and you're left with nothing.

5. CorneliusP

CorneliusP Senior member

I actually found some new stores today! It was super awesome! Some neat items, but nothing that fit me.

Can anyone comment on the quality of Aquascutum? Would anyone be interested in a seemingly good quality Aquascutum navy sport coat? Looked rather new, but was a tad large on me. I am about a 39R/40R but shoulders/chest were a bit big. The tag said "made in Canada" but I forget what material it was. I don't have a camera currently, as I exploded my last one something fierce, so I can't show pics. If someone were to want it, I could take the 5 minute walk to the shop and pick it up for $10 [​IMG]

Maybe I should post this in the thrift trading thread instead...

6. GucciKid

GucciKid Senior member

You've got to be careful with flipping, especially in this economic environment. The RLPL jacket above, for example, is a 100% must buy and flip really no matter what the size. However something like an Aquascutum, which is an okay brand but not great, you might be wasting your time. It may only be $10 but having it is better than not having it.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ +1. I've bought Acquascutum "Made in Canada" blazers and flipped them for $50, others sold for $5. There was no difference in the jackets themselves, just bought roughly a year apart. It's a gamble.

Now, I just stick to stuff I know that sells/people want so I don't end up getting stuck with something that doesn't fit me and I can't sell, therefore being out however much it ended up costing me.

8. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Alden Shell Plain toe in #8 in size 10, $8.
    Versace 2 Navy db suit size 44R, $17.
    Johnston & Murphy Aristocraft VII Handmades with spade sole, near new size 9, $45.
    All flipped.

9. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Is it taboo to ask what sorts of thrift and consignment shops that people go to? I have only been to the several goodwills in my area and never seem to find anything that I could even consider decent. I even live in a relatively rich area (Monterey, ca). I realize that it is a luck and timing thing, but there has got to be something else to it; dedication? Going during lunch? Knowing somebody that works there who will call you when the new stuff is put out? Keep in mind that sharing your magnificent tips means more thrifting to be had for trades! Also, does anyone else thrift near Monterey? I wouldn't want to encroach on someone else's territory PS I am lying I will totally get all up in your store [​IMG]
    Be consistent, but sometimes luck does play a role. In August 2006, I was on vacation in Carmel/Monterey, wandered into the Monterey Goodwill, and found two perfect Brioni jackets...! They both fit, one I especially love--one button, single-breasted, peaked lapels, enamel buttons. So don't despair, check the stores once a week.

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I agree with Nataku, there are items that I thought I could flip that are really nice that I struggled to sell, and other that were ok that brought good money. Two thing I've found if you can pick them up cheap to flip on E-Bay are Brooks Brothers Dress button downs (casual and dress) and Bills Khakis. I've also done well with Hugo Boss even though it doesn't get much love here. I've actually had a hard time selling Armani, found a really nice jacket at a consignment and by the time I re-listed it and had the fees I lost money. Unless you plan to try to use it for yourself, I wouldn't spend more then $5-10 on something you are going to try to flip.

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I agree with Nataku, there are items that I thought I could flip that are really nice that I struggled to sell, and other that were ok that brought good money. Two thing I've found if you can pick them up cheap to flip on E-Bay are Brooks Brothers Dress button downs (casual and dress) and Bills Khakis. I've also done well with Hugo Boss even though it doesn't get much love here. I've actually had a hard time selling Armani, found a really nice jacket at a consignment and by the time I re-listed it and had the fees I lost money. Unless you plan to try to use it for yourself, I wouldn't spend more then $5-10 on something you are going to try to flip.

My observation is that ebay, SF and AAAC have become noticeably weaker lately for flipping, even on items which have been easy sellers before. I have become much more picky about buying things which aren't my size. Today I passed on a new solid charcoal gray Hickey Freeman Boardroom suit at SA for $12. Why? It had no HF tag on the lining and it was a 39 S. It had the inner tag inside an inner pocket which had the size and model.

12. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

My observation is that ebay, SF and AAAC have become noticeably weaker lately for flipping, even on items which have been easy sellers before.

No doubt about it.

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

No doubt about it.

that is not a bad thing in and of itself

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

that is not a bad thing in and of itself

It is a bad thing. I thrift nice stuff and sell at minimal markups. Sometimes I lose money. Look at my post above. If you were a 39 S and wanted a good suit would that have been a good buy for you? You could have bought a like new Hickey Freeman Boardroom for $30.

15. anon

anon Senior member

It is a bad thing. I thrift nice stuff and sell at minimal markups. Sometimes I lose money. Look at my post above. If you were a 39 S and wanted a good suit would that have been a good buy for you? You could have bought a like new Hickey Freeman Boardroom for $30.
    leave thrift items for those who need the thrift prices, or only buy stuff for yourself then [​IMG]

16. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

leave thrift items for those who need the thrift prices, or only buy stuff for yourself then [​IMG]

So if you saw a pair of Lobb's sitting there and they weren't in your size you'd leave them?

17. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

the market is dictating what is bought and sold. c'est la vie. not a bad thing. if there was a big market for HF boardroom suits for $30 in a 39S, you could flip it easy. If minimal market, makes no sense for you to try to buy and then flip. Now if it was an isaia in a 39S, there would indeed be a market of some sort for that. Watch the forum. The great stuff, at very good to great prices get sold within 24 hours or before it hits market (through PM word of mouth, etc).

The so-so, inherently less in demand stuff at higher prices stays around for a while, as it should.

The incos still get sold fast.

Frenzies still happen, frequently.

And high quality stuff is getting sold on here for more affordable prices - at least in my opinion.

18. anon

anon Senior member

So if you saw a pair of Lobb's sitting there and they weren't in your size you'd leave them?
    I have a hard time believing he's talking about items like Lobbs. of course those would be a good pick-up. if it's more like coats, suits, jackets, or shirts, you should probably leave them for the more needy than trying to flip them.

19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ The "needy" don't nessisarily need Isaia suits, Borrelli shirts and Oxxford ties. I think it would be safe to say they would be satisfied with the NWT Gap and Apt. 9 shirts I often come across. I'd say there are some things that we all know are not "leave-behind" items, such as the names I mentioned above. I used to be agaist flipping, but then I figure if I flip it and use the money towards something I like/that fits me, it'd like like finding it in the thrift as It would only cost me what I paid for the initial item + whatever eBay fees.

20. anon

anon Senior member

I doubt the guy giving away the Isaia suit did it so that someone could come along and make some money off of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.