• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow.......that's super recent too. With that said, I can't wait to get the hell out of California and back home. It's really bumming me out that I am out in the boonies and can't get out to the prime areas. That wasn't really the point of this trip, but it's one of those "so close, yet so far" situations. :brick:

goneAWOL

Reaction score
Its getting to be the time of the evening when a select few members start to post their epic finds, but hell, I'll share my semi-good finds anyways. This is my finds from the last week, since I don't have time to post daily. First some ties:

Thomas Pink, Thomas Pink, JPress (bull & bear?), Ted Baker

Vintage Versace, vintage Missoni, vintage Etro with the $18 price still on it, vintage Viyella

BB, BB, BB, BB, Robert Talbott (why did I buy this?)

Barney's wool and cashmere. I'm really curious if anyone can tell who made this, because it seems very recent and nice.

Zanella Platinum glenplaid in size 34

Zegna light blue/teal corduroys

Giorgio Armani Classico flat-front trousers. I know nothing about Armani stuff, so are these good?

Another pair of wool/cashmere flat fronts in a brand I'm unfamiliar with in size 32. Seem nice though.

Z Zegna (S), Gitman Bros (found initials on inside of FC after purchased
ffffuuuu.gif
), Zegna Sport short sleeve linen (XL), Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit (16.5)

Brioni sport, Etro, Etro

Pringle (38), BB cotton and cashmere, Zegna (for me)

Pal Zileri Abito Privato charcoal pinstripe suit(46-48L). Single vented, but appears recent.

Zegna Su Misura Trofeo side vented suit (size 46).

Vintage Nettleton burgandy wingtips (size 10). I was 99% sure when I bought these that they were shell, but now I'm beginning to doubt it. Any opinions?

Allen Edmonds Lloyd in size 7.5

Wow... it took a long time to post all that.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To San Diego guys here:

What the hell has happened down there? Every thrift store was a complete bust - there are just way too many people. The two worst stores were the two AMVETS, one in Cardiff street and other Sutherland. Both had lines of around 40+ people before opening, car parks absolutely packed by 9:00am, and around 100 people in store by 10:00am. Tell me, please, what is going on in my favorite city ever for thrifting? I have never seen thrift stores so busy, and naturally, there is little / nothing to pick (other than some super duper expensive sport coats nobody could afford to pick). I went to San Diego in November, and picked loads of stuff and the stores were not really that busy. Now in March, it is ******* chaos!

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To San Diego guys here:
What the hell has happened down there? Every thrift store was a complete bust - there are just way too many people. The two worst stores were the two AMVETS, one in Cardiff street and other Sutherland. Both had lines of around 40+ people before opening, car parks absolutely packed by 9:00am, and around 100 people in store by 10:00am. Tell me, please, what is going on in my favorite city ever for thrifting? I have never seen thrift stores so busy, and naturally, there is little / nothing to pick (other than some super duper expensive sport coats nobody could afford to pick). I went to San Diego in November, and picked loads of stuff and the stores were not really that busy. Now in March, it is ******* chaos!

i know SD gets tons of tourists from nearby AZ/phoenix during the summer months (when it's 110+ degrees in phoenix) but i don't know if that's at play here, seems a bit early for zonies.

costanaconda

Reaction score
Groan. Had this jacket but no matching pants. Def. a suit. Grey with light blue stripe. Don't think it would work without the pants... Looked up the model number. Zegna mainline. Prob not worth getting, eh? I don't see any way to wear it without the pants...

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Its getting to be the time of the evening when a select few members start to post their epic finds, but hell, I'll share my semi-good finds anyways. This is my finds from the last week, since I don't have time to post daily. First some ties:

Thomas Pink, Thomas Pink, JPress (bull & bear?), Ted Baker

Vintage Versace, vintage Missoni, vintage Etro with the $18 price still on it, vintage Viyella

Barney's wool and cashmere. I'm really curious if anyone can tell who made this, because it seems very recent and nice.

Zanella Platinum glenplaid in size 34

Zegna light blue/teal corduroys

Giorgio Armani Classico flat-front trousers. I know nothing about Armani stuff, so are these good?

Another pair of wool/cashmere flat fronts in a brand I'm unfamiliar with in size 32. Seem nice though.

Z Zegna (S), Gitman Bros (found initials on inside of FC after purchased
ffffuuuu.gif
), Zegna Sport short sleeve linen (XL), Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit (16.5)

Brioni sport, Etro, Etro

Pringle (38), BB cotton and cashmere, Zegna (for me)

Pal Zileri Abito Privato charcoal pinstripe suit(46-48L). Single vented, but appears recent.

Zegna Su Misura Trofeo side vented suit (size 46).

Vintage Nettleton burgandy wingtips (size 10). I was 99% sure when I bought these that they were shell, but now I'm beginning to doubt it. Any opinions?

Don't sell yourself short man, this is better stuff than I find in a year... Nice finds!
thumbs-up.gif

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i know SD gets tons of tourists from nearby AZ/phoenix during the summer months (when it's 110+ degrees in phoenix) but i don't know if that's at play here, seems a bit early for zonies.

Yup, was in Phoenix last July, it was pretty toasty at 107 when I was there! Nothing is hotter than El Centro CA along the 8, my nuts reduced in sperm count by three orders of magnitude. 118 outside that one fine day, I remember driving through thinking, "if you lose it here, your in a world of hurt".

I guess spring break may have something to do with it, but logically speaking, people are normal and not like us - i.e. willing to queue before opening time. I was expecting thrift stores to be busier, but not crazy busy particularly first thing in the morning. Where we live in SF, it is quite busy, but usually if you turn up first thing before they open, you will only have a few people hanging out - not 40+ !

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was looking through suits in a small town along central coast California, a lady comes up to me and says "excuse me, I noticed you looking through suits and I recently saw a few very high end ones in a store down the road". She explained how nice they were, how she could not take them due to her husband being too big for them etc, and she even drew me a map on a piece of paper to show where the thrift store was located.
Well I go to the thrift store, and there indeed there were these high end suits. I flip through the rack, Oxxford, Oxxford, another Oxxford, ahh a Brioni, another Brioni, but then out of the blue, BAM, right there, alongside them all was the jewel in the crown. The jewel in the crown was a Bespoke Zilli suit in my size. Absolutely hilarious - this thing is tailored beyond anything I have ever seen.
The Zilli suit and Brioni jacket was enough for me, I left the Oxxford's and other Brioni behind to be someone elses treasure.

5n28vo.gif

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A good thrifting story:

I was looking through suits in a small town along central coast California, a lady comes up to me and says "excuse me, I noticed you looking through suits and I recently saw a few very high end ones in a store down the road". She explained how nice they were, how she could not take them due to her husband being too big for them etc, and she even drew me a map on a piece of paper to show where the thrift store was located.

Well I go to the thrift store, and there indeed there were these high end suits. I flip through the rack, Oxxford, Oxxford, another Oxxford, ahh a Brioni, another Brioni, but then out of the blue, BAM, right there, alongside them all was the jewel in the crown. The jewel in the crown was a Bespoke Zilli suit in my size. Absolutely hilarious - this thing is tailored beyond anything I have ever seen.

The Zilli suit and Brioni jacket was enough for me, I left the Oxxford's and other Brioni behind to be someone elses treasure.

That is awesome. Karma points for leaving some stuff for others.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
HEY! Found this crisp, fresh from the dry cleaner's Vineyard Vines foursome (French cuffs) labeled 16-1/2 "R".

Up for grabs, I'm looking for a 40R linen or seersucker jacket as I am looking for something a little fun for the summah. Also, would consider equivalent 15-32/33 French-cuffed shirts are great or as always a 9D pair of shoes, try me.

Will consider cash offers...but you all know I prefer swappage. Hit me on the PM.

The one on the end is white with stripes (see closeup), it looks yellow because of a trick of the light.

Madroaster

Reaction score

350x550px-LL-777f1029_IMG_1471.jpeg
P3250474.jpg

Mirror shots are confusing. Took me a minute to figure out why the jackets were buttoned on opposite side.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

These are some nice finds! If the repp ties (my fav) were 3.5" or smaller I'd be all over them but they look larger like most BB ties. I have too many shoes, but sent you a PM anyway as they are my size
lol8[1].gif

WTF do you guys do, just have a folder on your desktop of funny gifs...oh wait, good idea, I'm starting one of those now.

bytor13

Reaction score
WTF do you guys do, just have a folder on your desktop of funny gifs...oh wait, good idea, I'm starting one of those now.

gifsoup.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics