• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Oxxfords...

(BTW, I'm well aware I owe pics of last week's two Oxxfords plus 2 Belvests. But since I just got home from my second job AND have several hours worth of work to do, I'm just going to ignore the "pics or it didn't happen" rule).

On my way between jobs I hit a new spot that I had my doubts about. Slow, slow going at first-- some middling BB stuff. Picked up a recent BB 1818 cashmere/wool blend navy blazer in a 38R (available).

Then, while searching for the trousers to an eminently-flippable-if-not-SF-approved Hugo Boss gray pinstripe orphan, I grab some trousers when I feel something awfully hefty and, hang on, the inside profile of those pockets look... YUP. Gray glenplaid with some beiges thrown in. Flat front. But here's the thing: Oxxford tag (older, think mid-80s) says "Rare Editions" and the trousers are fully lined. No, I mean FULLY LINED: front, back, ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE HEM. Heavy as hell. Bespoke? Either way, they arein need of a little TLC and repair here and there. 34 (with 0 to let) x 30. If only there were an inch or two to let and they'd be MINE. But, alas, too small and available.

But now I've got the taste. So I tear through the rack. Which pays off because I found another pair of flat front blue glenplaid, same vintage, this time the "Mansion" model, in my size... ish. 37 x something-absurdly-long-but-soon-tobe-31.

Tore the store apart to see if they were reverse orphans. I'm just going to tell myself they're not so I sleep easier.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was nice of you man. I see a rack full of RLPL in your size in the near future...

Not really that nice, if it was Hermes instead of Oxxford, I would have caved into the greed and scooped everything. A person can afford to be generous if the item is only moderately desirable.

Those might have worked...

Hmmmm..... you similar size to me, I tried suits on, I have worn tents that fit better.

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
thrift fit!

My thoughts after seeing these:
0)Gat Damn that mirror is dirrty.
1) Damn I really didnt thing the pants were THAT long.
2) My collar presentation is sloppy at best :D
3) Jacket sleeve length is almost perfect?

Jacket: E.T. Thomas (otherwise untagged) Cashmere/Wool Windowpane (Thrifted)
Shirt: Lands End (Thrifted)
Pantaloons: J.Crew Aldrige (J Crew Warehouse for 20$ :D)
Shoes: AE Globetrotters (Courtesy of Grendel!)
Accessories: iPhone 4S ofc

all are un-altered for the time being

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

350x550px-LL-777f1029_IMG_1471.jpeg
P3250474.jpg

Grendel, your blazer makes you look waaayyy older than you actually are. Great shirt, though. Dig, I like yours but you might need slightly slimmer pants.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grendel, your blazer makes you look waaayyy older than you actually are. Great shirt, though. Dig, I like yours but you might need slightly slimmer pants.

lol8[1].gif
Have you been talking to my girlfriend?

I dunno why, but I love trad looks. I am keeping two of these Ted Baker sportcoats, though, and she likes them much better. They're more slim cut and modern.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thrift fit!

My thoughts after seeing these:
0)Gat Damn that mirror is dirrty.
1) Damn I really didnt thing the pants were THAT long.
2) My collar presentation is sloppy at best :D
3) Jacket sleeve length is almost perfect?

Jacket: E.T. Thomas (otherwise untagged) Cashmere/Wool Windowpane (Thrifted)
Shirt: Lands End (Thrifted)
Pantaloons: J.Crew Aldrige (J Crew Warehouse for 20$ :D)
Shoes: AE Globetrotters (Courtesy of Grendel!)
Accessories: iPhone 4S ofc

all are un-altered for the time being

Wow, it's like you stole those Aldridges! You have correctly identified the need to shorten them and whhile you don't have to stress over it, the sleeves on the coat could be a bit longer as well.

Yeah. I pointed that out in my original fit post. Elmira was pressed for time and resisted slimming them when I was having them shortened and cuffed. Sometimes, even after all these months, she resists my wishes but overall, things work well. I'll get them back to her and have my way. For a price, though. After all the Brooks Brothers and such, she dislikes these Deansgate pants.

lol8%5B1%5D.gif
 Have you been talking to my girlfriend? 

I dunno why, but I love trad looks. I am keeping two of these Ted Baker sportcoats, though, and she likes them much better. They're more slim cut and modern. 

That coat looks great and should be a staple in your wardrobe for years to come. I'd still like to see a pic of you wearing it over gray pants, though.
35x35px-LL-db5e8bdc_FelixDig.gif

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
First off, even though I've been on SF a while and understand the shortcuts and abbreviations, every time I see "DB" I read it as "douchebag" and I have to think about it a little. Imagine every times I see "DB THRIFT BLAZER FIT BATTLE" what I am thinking, especially because those guys are wearing their game faces in those pix.

(Love the concept!!! It's fun!!! Keep those pix coming, and thanks for not being a timid puss like me and actually uploading some images.)

Not really that nice, if it was Hermes instead of Oxxford, I would have caved into the greed and scooped everything. A person can afford to be generous if the item is only moderately desirable.

I love how Klobber aims high. Keeps me on my toes, reminds me I don't have to bring every stray kitten home when I am out there thrifting myself.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First off, even though I've been on SF a while and understand the shortcuts and abbreviations, every time I see "DB" I read it as "douchebag" and I have to think about it a little. Imagine every times I see "DB THRIFT BLAZER FIT BATTLE" what I am thinking, especially because those guys are wearing their game faces in those pix...

Works either way! :lol:

dstarz

Reaction score
Here's two of my faves: At GW on Vine St. in Los Angeles, sitting right there waiting for me as I walked in, a BEAUTIFUL and like-new Borrelli white button down, Not one flaw in it, in my size, grabbed for $12.99. On the way home, felt lucky, so walked into the Jewish Charitable Store on Fairfax; walked out with some PERFECT vintage Gucci sunglasses (Tom Ford era) for 4 bucks. REALLY pushing my luck now, went to the GW on La Brea, and there, as if placed solely for me, a wonderfully light and perfectly grey suit by ETRO, again, in my size!

Now, I have had some good days thrift shopping, but this counts as perhaps the very best!!!!

LooknGr8

Reaction score
OK, so in appreciation of Dig et al mustering the brass to step up on the stage, I present my own fit pix. This is what I am wearing to work (27 and windy today, following a hot 85 last week, go figure New England weather), no special outfit (or special photographer, hahaha) for this post. Keep in mind anyone who wears jackets/blazers/suits to my office get laughed out into the street unless there's a VIP guest or special occasion that merits such...so I take it as close to suit-dom as I can without going there.

Shirt, J Press (salvation army)
wool pants, eddie bauer (salvation army)
wool sweater vest cardigan thing is BB main line (outlet/clearance)
shoes, alden (swap from dahl5yankees)
tie, BB (Boomerang's)
cufflinks, I think they're acrylic, heh (St. Vincent de Paul thrift)

Are the French cuffs out of control formal for the outfit, or passable? Lame, or interesting? GIve me unvarnished opinion (except on how much the photos suck because that's a given, I concede that out of the box).

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score

tie, BB (Boomerang's)

^^^ Hey! Is the tag cut on that BB tie? If so, I think I've seen that tie on the rack at the Boomerangs in Central Square!

(PS - I think that there's a small stain / mark on it, though.)

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's two of my faves: At GW on Vine St. in Los Angeles, sitting right there waiting for me as I walked in, a BEAUTIFUL and like-new Borrelli white button down, Not one flaw in it, in my size, grabbed for $12.99. On the way home, felt lucky, so walked into the Jewish Charitable Store on Fairfax; walked out with some PERFECT vintage Gucci sunglasses (Tom Ford era) for 4 bucks. REALLY pushing my luck now, went to the GW on La Brea, and there, as if placed solely for me, a wonderfully light and perfectly grey suit by ETRO, again, in my size!

Now, I have had some good days thrift shopping, but this counts as perhaps the very best!!!!

Needs moar pics!

This is what I am wearing to work (27 and windy today, following a hot 85 last week, go figure New England weather), no special outfit (or special photographer, hahaha) for this post. Keep in mind anyone who wears jackets/blazers/suits to my office get laughed out into the street unless there's a VIP guest or special occasion that merits such...so I take it as close to suit-dom as I can without going there.

Shirt, J Press (salvation army)
wool pants, eddie bauer (salvation army)
wool sweater vest cardigan thing is BB main line (outlet/clearance)
shoes, alden (swap from dahl5yankees)
tie, BB (Boomerang's)
cufflinks, I think they're acrylic, heh (St. Vincent de Paul thrift)
Are the French cuffs out of control formal for the outfit, or passable? Lame, or interesting? GIve me unvarnished opinion (except on how much the photos suck because that's a given, I concede that out of the box).

Okay first, the pictures do NOT suck.
You are correct regarding the French cuffs. They need a coat but I get your reluctance given your work situation. Before my company installed the new dress code requiring me to wear a black shirt, I had gradually eased my way up to full suits without eliciting a comment from anyone because they had simply gotten used to seeing me in tie and jacket, etc. I'd suggest you do the same if you are so inclined.

I really enjoyed wearing high quality clothing and now I'm in the process of finding similar quality items that will meet this new code of dress.

Enough about me. If you will be wearing ties on a more regular basis, you'll need to retrain yourself on shaving habits (as I had to as well). What was fine for daily open throat shirts and tees won't cut it here. No straggly throat hair dangling over the collar and tie.
Give your knot one more tug to get it a bit tighter and the dimple should deepen. Snug it up over the button, too.
The vest also needs to be under a sport coat or worn more casually at home,etc. It's cool though. I'm jelly.
Aldens look fine.
Can't see the break on the pants but it looks pretty close to no break at all and I really like the look.

Overall, I'd say lose the vest and add a jacket (solid navy SB or blazer) for an excellent look.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

^^^ Hey!  Is the tag cut on that BB tie?  If so, I think I've seen that tie on the rack at the Boomerangs in Central Square!

(PS - I think that there's a small stain / mark on it, though.)

Jeez, I got me a thrift stalker, hahahahaha!

Every time I show up in Cambridge...I'm gonna start asking likely suspects: "YOU Typhoid Jones?" Until someone reports me.

Guilty as charged on the BB tie. I left the Zegna behind too because of a little snag in it -- probably like you did too. That and it was brown (I already have, like four brown Zegnas...no one wants them so us thrifters end up soaking up the slack). Now that I squint there is a little gray spot toward the bottom (I wasn't wearing my reading glasses when inspecting) that I am pretty sure will come out with some judicious water and light tamping :)

Thanks for the comments Dig. The pants have the normal medium break, it's just the "leaning to take your own pictures thing" that created that appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads