Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

harrumph, two stores this morning. one was crazy - 48 people (I counted) lined up for opening at the one where it was half-off day. :eek:

odd story: this older guy asks me HEY ARE THESE SHOES NICE?! as I'm looking at the shoes - turns out he has these Bruno Magli double monks that I passed on last week because a) they were $55 b) they put the theft tag through the leather :fu: and c) THEY WERE DIFFERENT SIZES - one was an 11 and one was a 12. I pointed that out to the guy and he's like ... oh, okay, I guess that'll be all right anyhow! Turns out he was buying shoes... for his son... who wasn't even there. He also asked if some Giorgo Brutini shoes were "those shoes the young folks wear" and I did my best to keep from busting out laughing. Poor guy... there were no quality shoes in the building or I would have helped him find something.

Anyway, stories aside, middle-of-the-road haul, not worthy of pics:

George Foreman sandwich griller for $2 (keeping)
    Recent BB sport shirt, L, for $1 - I figured at that price I can make a couple bucks on the bay with it to pay for gas.
    Left a Patagonia polo - doesn't seem to be worth much and it was definitely not as nice as the fleece jkidd showed me awhile back!

Next store (deserted since it's nearby the other one) was better, though unfortunately higher priced:
    Recent BB Made in Scotland "greens" shetland sweater, L
    Joseph Abboud... for Bergdorf Goodman?! SC - 100% cashmere. IIRC it's a 42L, cream/beige herringbone of some sort. Never picked up JA before but what the hey.
    Made in England grey v-neck cashmere sweater with a stain for a particular trading buddy

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I had to leave the shoe area last night when I heard a guy getting so excited over a pair of GB's with Dr Scholls inserts. Then his mom called over from the next isle, "Call your brother and ask him if he wants these designer pants. Look can you believe I found these?.. they're Nautica!!"

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Ok, in celebration of Thrift Thread Thirty Thousand, I've done Thrift Fit x2. I upped the rules: Everything here was thrifted by me. Outfit #1: Suit: Bespoke Dunhill, made in England, dark gray glenplaid with burgundy/purple overcheck (Samuel Smith: On second look at this suit, the overcheck is closer to the purple you're looking for. PM me!) Shirt: TM Lewin Cufflinks: Handmade by me Tie: Hickey Freeman Collection woven. Purple is vibrant; pics don't do it justice Shoes: Garavani hand made oxford blutchers Total cost: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/SPOILER] Outfit #2: Suit: Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn, solid blue flanel, winter weight Shirt: CT Sea Island Cufflinks: Handmade by me Tie: Italo Ferretti (again, pics don't do it justice; this tie kicks ass) Shoes: Cole Hahn captoes Total cost: [​IMG][​IMG][/SPOILER]

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Some Abboud stuff is very good. I've got one that's a navy with pale blue windowpane in a cashmere blend that feels great. Wish it were my size but it's something like a 46L

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think we need to see the cufflinks you made

6. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Love the ties GMMcL.

And for the record, the Aldens for which I swapped, I sent Dahl5Yankees stuff in return I thrifted myself! :slayer:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

.... I thought literally every pair of pants in a thrift are as nice as nautica? :confused:

Even in Omaha we get nautica stuff overflowing :laugh:

8. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Hey! My wife and I went to NH yesterday with some friends who own a vintage store to hit up a couple of places and came up with something a little different. Not really a clothing-related find, but it was cheap:

[​IMG]

^^^ Sorry about the glare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ It appears to be a genuine rubbing of Emily Dickinson's head stone. She is buried in Amherst, MA - not too far from where we were in NH. In any case, I'm pretty sure it's real - I don't think that there's a big enough market for this kind of thing to motivate the Chinese forgers... but I could be wrong.

^^^ Lol, true. There's actually a bunch of SF and other people involved with forums / online operations in the area that I see around. Some I know, some I don't. But the ones I've met are mostly cool and all definitely interesting. It's a small (online) world.

^^^ That Boomerangs is sooo hit-or-miss. OK once in a while - meh, the rest of the time.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That Italo Ferretti tie is sick!!

10. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

^^^
    Because I could not stop for death; he kindly stopped for me.

Great excuse for an E. Dickinson quote:D

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'd like to see them again with the shirts swapped. But that's just how I roll. :satisfied:

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thrift fit. This is my confidence go-to suit. It's (what I think to be) my best fit, but also happens to be the highest quality suit I own and I feel like a million bucks in it. The fabric is indescribably soft...really head and shoulders above anything else I've found (honestly, I think it's a bit nicer than the RLPL I recently got).

EDIT: Oops, just noticed and fixed the pocket flap.
    EDIT 2: Upon reflection/re-education, this is a terrible ensemble. Thanks for the link Dig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suit: Zegna Napoli Couture
    Shirt: Lands End MTM (courtesy toscano_adotatto)
    Tie: Hermes
    Shoes: AE Park Ave
    PS: No-name silk (courtesy toscano_adotatto)

All thrifted

Would love some tips on what kind of tie I should wear with this suit/shirt, as I get the feeling there might be too much color action going on. Also, shirt sleeves are too short and I'm going to have to get rid of it (this was the first time I've worn it and didn't realize until after I'd already picked the outfit out/put it on). Also, the PS might be too "matchy" with the tie...I originally picked out a gold tie that would have contrasted well against this PS but decided it was too much with this ensemble, and didn't have time to pick out a new PS. I probably would have gone with a silver/olive green pindot PS instead...would that have been a better choice? Would love feedback.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Pretty casual shirt for a pretty serious suit. This is one of those times where I think the boring yet reliable solid white or light blue shirt works best. A 'star' tie like that needs a stage on which it can shine. I think I'll withhold opinion on the PS until another fit gets posted with it. The suit looks great.

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Hmm, thanks for the insight. I'm just struggling to find a situation when this shirt feels right, I guess. The shirt was actually what I was experimenting with in this outfit. Maybe a solid navy or solid gray suit with a solid gold/other light color or solid navy tie, respectively? Thanks again.

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

+1. I did the same damn thing. Initially folks asked if I had a meeting, and I would either make some excuse or just say "no, but I look good!" Eventually it just became my thing. And I started a trend: Now people wear blazers and occasionally ties.
    Ask and you shall receive. All made by me (of mostly non-thrifted materials); each one has a mate.
    [​IMG]
    And just for completeness: They all go in this, also 100% made by me of Brazilian Cherry and Walnut. The stuff that's in there in this pic is the rest of my collection -- some ebyayed, some very strategic retail (good sales, I promise!)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    EDIT: Andro: I could live with the shirt with that suit (it's a stretch, but crazier things have happened) if you wore a solid color tie -- maybe navy. Or stripes, but that's just how I roll (see thrift fit pic #1).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.