1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

What , Too rough for yo soft a$$ ?

2. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Jon, maybe a tad long. Just FYI, I haven't seen ANYTHING worth picking up in your size over the past few weeks. It's been a pretty dry run. [​IMG]

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I think the jacket could use a trimming, no more than 3/4 of an inch. I still think the waist could use an inch of suppression. The sleeves look like they could be shortened 1/4 inch.

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Anyone know anything about ultrasounds? Amrex us200. Can't find a ton of info, but the ones I see listed are stupid high money... is this realistic?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If it works, you should see at least $700 - $1200 for it. But how can you test it?

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

That much for small.portable unit? That's a gamble I'd be willing to take. May be able to repair it it too. Still in the store.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Its on its way to a new members home. Maybe he will post an eThrift fit!

WANT I love that tie.

8. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

+1 on the natural light can also use parchment paper/greaseproof paper for the sides etc... When I was much more into watches I had several sheets of coloured poster paper to use as the background... cheap and often the contrast is preferred

9. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

My fat neck and smaller chest need these so very badly.

10. jguyette

jguyette Well-Known Member

Not a thrift find, but an e-thrift find. I've gotten a little frustrated with the lack of decent finds locally, so I've turned to the Bay.
    Specifically, I've had a lot of luck with poorly described suits and sport coats. I guess it is a decent alternative to the local GW or SA.
    Here Is the latest find...
    [​IMG]
    A made in Italy Brooks Brothers Madison Fit suit with Vitale Barbaris Canonico fabric. Shockingly, it fits just about perfect. The final price was about twice what I'd pay in a local thrift, where suits run $8 to $15.
    The suit is a lighter navy in color. It will work well for a couple of Summer weddings.
    With that in mind, has anybody found any madras/plaid ties? I'd like a bright plaid of madras tie to go with the suit. I'm wearing the suit with a pair of tan vintage Florsheim Imperial longwings I got on a trade from this thread. Here are the shoes...
    [​IMG]
    Basically, I'm looking for something that is the opposite of what I wear to work five days a week - bright and colorful, but still coordinated.
    I'll need to post a thrift pic when the whole outfit comes together.

11. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

+1 If you don't have a full frame Nikon....this is easily the best lens for the money. I shoot with this a TON!

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I actually like it. A bit narrow for my taste but I'm a sucker for paisley. And to each his own....I see stuff on here people go ape shit over that I'm like WTF?????

13. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Some minor action at the end of the week.

Lanvin tie - keeping, because I want/need more monochromes in my wardrobe.

[​IMG]

SC, Avanzata for Harry Rosen, 44R, glen plaid, unvented. Available
    PM me if you want measurements or further details. Happy to discuss any trade or offer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

I feel like we've seen this content label recently and the jury though that it was :slayer:

Any size 9EEE guys need a pair of Allen Edmonds Cameron loafers in burgundy color?

15. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Is that lens significantly better than the 18-55mm lens that comes standard with a Nikon? That's what I always shoot with, just because I know absolutely nothing about my camera or photography in general. I do know that I'm often unsatisfied with my listing pictures... probably because I don't know what I'm doing.

16. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Obviously no zoom on the lens but will shoot significantly better indoors/low light. If you're interested PM me and I can recommend a couple good books which give a good primer on aperature/shutter speed and can only help with pics.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  17. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

How do you get detailed close up shots though?

18. mainy

mainy Senior member

Man I've been finding a lot of good stuff lately but too busy to post it. Here's what I found today, nothing too great but some content for the thread. Included is the price I paid, just because :D :

[​IMG]
    beat up alden wing tips. thought they might still look okay with jeans, heels and soles have lots of wear left. $5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Leeds, shell cordovan, black. Hardly worn. $9.99

[​IMG]
    park aves, black, well card for. $9.99

[​IMG]
    florsheim longwing, vcleat, black scotchgrain. $4

[​IMG]
    Armani collezioni polo, flax/linen, mint. $2.50

[​IMG]
    D&G shirt, mint, $2.50

[​IMG]
    bills khakis m2 flat front dark gray wool dress pants. $4.99

[​IMG]
    Made in England shetland argyle sweater. Probably alan paine. $2.49

[​IMG]
    vintage Abercrombie and Fitch made in Scotland shetland golf sweater. $2.49

[​IMG]
    2x old brioni ties, 1x NWT dunhill made in england tie. $1.99 each

[​IMG]
    Thomas pink superfine two fold cotton shirt. $2.98
    Barbour gingham shirt. $4.50
    Polo ralph lauren two pocket Custom Fit flannel shirt. $4.98
    Paul stuart french cuff shirt, NWOT i think. $3.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    polo ralph lauren dark brown suede leather jacket. used, good condition, needs to get hit with the suede brush / eraser. $12.99

Oh, and not pictured: Denon DCD-1500 cd player to add to my home audio set up. Sounds amazing. $9.99

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Why do your shoes always look small to me? [​IMG] These are near the top of my shoe list right now!!

Thrifting tomorrow!!! [​IMG]

20. mainy

mainy Senior member

they are 8d, so kind of small!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.