The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Interestingly, I was thinking about this today, and....

Disclaimer: I am not a/your lawyer

But in my n00bish opinion, Ebay/Paypal's formalized collusion seems rife for an atitrust tester suit. 1) They've completely excluded an entire genre of small (but rapidly growing) payment transfer methods, 2) they're acting in an obviously anti-competitive fashion by doing so, and 3) their "agreement" (ie: Ebay now owns Paypal) makes up a disproportionately large share of even the broadest market of "online auction goods transactions" (in all fairness, I haven't run the HHI numbers, so I can't really give more of an assessment of this than to say that it seems "disproportionate". Lawyers less lazy than myself (I AM NOT A LAWYER) might be inclined to do so and I'd be curious to see the results).

EDIT: Looking at Brianpore's list some more, I guess it turns on whether Dwolla and its ilk qualifies as a "bank to bank transfer" or an "online service" or not. From how I gather their system works, it sounds like it might, and might be allowed by Ebay's policies. Whether that's true or not, I have no clue...and whether that helps or not, I further have no clue.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This explains my wife. :lol:

3. valium

valium Senior member

ps i just realized,when i said that it was supposed to be a dirty dancing "nobody puts baby in a corner" zinger,but then realized that HERMES is literally in the corner of the scarf...so yeah,im looking a bit like a douche

4. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

I've often entertained the thought of taking eBay to court for this. Either that, or getting together a large group of my computer programmer buddies and creating a better online auction site, with lower fees, better customer service, etc. Someday...

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Silly Andro. Lawyers don't run the market analyses! That's what they pay prostitutes experts (FTF myself) for. As to your analysis, I'm not anybody on this thread's lawyer, nor am I ANYBODY'S antitrust lawyer, but I agree there is a potential argument that a) Ebay has market power in the tying product (online auctions, or at least Ebay); b) is forcing customers to use the tied product (PayPal) against their will; and c) is otherwise acting predatorily with respect to other service providers. There's also a potential argument that they're creating what's called an "essential facility" -- basically, creating a market for online payment tools -- but then excluding all who compete with it in that space. But where does that get you? Most antitrust violations these days are measured under the "rule of reason." Reading Ebay's guidance on what kinds of payment methods are prohibited, and giving them the benefit of the doubt, the one unifying theme I see is that all the prohibited methods make it effectively impossible to undo the sale (because the money's in the wind). They're trying to strike a balance -- and that's where the rule of reason analysis will kick in: There is a legitimate justification at play that is unmoored to competition, and the rationale underlying that justification is not unreasonable. Stack that up and add a nickle and you can get yourself a stick of gum.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Wow. Thrift store?

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I guess my lawprofs were masochists, because they actually made us run the HHI numbers [​IMG]. That said, it's fair to say that rule of reason analysis also has its limits. Even under RoR analysis, anything considered to "destroy competition", independent of the claims made for defending the use of the feature (in this case to "prevent fraud" or "ensure fairness, payment, etc"), must ultimately be subject to some anti-competitive analysis. When the tying is as bad as it is here (I mean, we've got "Microsoft" level tying here), it doesn't seem unreasonable that a court would disregard the guidance justifications for the anticompetitive measures and actually *look* at what's going on. Of course, this is a Roberts court, sans Stevens (the most outspoken antitrust critic), which hasn't been the most kind to anti-competitive actions to begin with, so you might be on to something...

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

These are amazing! I love them!

ChetBakerSings: Score on the Hermes scarf! WOW!

DarkMatter7 and I hit the thrifts today. Sadly these weren't the amazing LA stores but in an area closer to where I was. Still managed to find a killer Ben Silver tie at Marshalls for $10 and a Hermes tie at a thrift for $8. Thanks again man - it was fun! :)

So tired. Got 2 hours of sleep last night before we awoke to hop the flight. Going to bed. More thrift stops planned for the trip! :D

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Can anyone ID these Orvis pants I found today? They're a nice heavyweight cotton fabric with faux suede trim. They're my size...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Anduru

Anduru Senior member

[double post?]

11. Anduru

Anduru Senior member

Would anybody happen to know what year this might be from? I got it for about $12.99 CAD at Value Village.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

The Microsoft/IE Explorer example is what came to mind for me as well. You have to wonder if the eBay/Paypal acquisition were to occur today if it woud be approved? I don't the anyone foresaw the explosion of eBay and online retailing since this occurred.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

MONTHLY THRIFT THREAD COMPLAINT LIST

USPS policies
    selling pants
    ebay/paypal monopoly

whats next/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.