The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Not sure of the exact name, but they were not cheap. I found a pair a couple years ago and they sold at a nice profit on eBay.

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I kid

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

meta "what's this thread turning into" discussions

4. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

you know your on SF too much when you see this and think of a can of Spam....or is it a Spoo? It almost doesnt even make sense.... grr

[​IMG]

Ventura w/ Holland & Sherry Cloth - My size and will replace my current (way lesser quality) Navy suit when black shoes are required. So I was [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Need a bit of help with this one - A ton of really nice leather goods in a nice leather bag - I'd keep the bag but could the leather be used for anything else? Some weird 'Total Estate Planning' Portfolios

[​IMG][​IMG]

Allen Edmonds 10.5 Berwick Tassled Loafers - Left these behind - They were 18$ but wasnt sure about the damage on the inside heel. Only had a few minutes in the store so couldnt inspect.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Zanella Flat Front 'Benny' 34 Waist - Olive

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Thrift store pricing?

Edit: Went to an Omaha thrift store and found three pairs of zanella pants (a sort of micro-houndstooth) One brown, one gray,and one blue. All double pleat, 36 in waist with at least 32 inseam. I got the gray pair for myself, and left the others.

I also found a couple of custom made suits, and a HSM gold trumpeter, but left them all. (Isn't gold trumpeter fully canvassed?)

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

Building the site isn't hard. Getting enough people onto it to make it useful is hard. See also: Google+ vs. Facebook

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Perfect sense. They are one and the same, interchangeable!

(Just kidding, spoo):D

While YMMV, acetone or shoe prep or (go easy on the) Goo Gone gets 99% of this crap out unless it's a deep scuff/abrasion or chemical burn of some kind. Other shoe pros here might have differing opinions but if those were in my size I'd think about going for it. Do this all at your own risk at home, of course. But for the most part even paint pen and harsh junk comes off for me. That's one of the reasons I think I'm into shoes, because they pretty much all clean up well and have allowed me to experiment on lesser pairs so when I get that "find" I know what to do (and I flat out can't afford new pairs of shoes now that my standards have been set by the likes of you all, ha!).

OTOH, the $18 price tag might give me pause.

But those Guccis I brought home yesterday seemed "in the ballpark" (I was way off) size wize. They were covered in mildew so bad I wasn't letting them anywhere near my feet and I asked for a separate bag at the checkout. There were some suspcious looking marks on them and it all magically came out with this "shoe prep" stuff I got from my cobbler, which is mostly acetone. He says acetone works fine, too. I've gotten a little over ambitious with edge ink experimenting with shoe reformation...and the shoe prep rubs that right out, too. So far.

On the leather bag with the bags inside...are those books/3ring binders inside? If I were tricking that bag out for work or travel, if you could remove the current contents and have no metal or nasty points protruding...those little bags on the inside would come in handy for the assorted little electronic doodads I have to carry but youdon't want loose in your bag (phone charger, spare batteries, car chargers, USB cables, etc). I got some tough little cordura-like zipper bags at Home Depot (3 pack for a few bucks) designed for screws and nails or small sharp tools to do the job in my Saddleback bag...

8. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    The HSM Gold Trumpeter suit that I own is Half-Canvassed. I read somewhere (might have been here) that some of them are fused with machine stitching while others have said half-canvassing and "specialty" pick stitching.

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Good to know :)

10. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Found a couple of things last night from my local Savers, the store that hasn't had anything of note for months.
    Paging Brian Pore this is a chance for you to make up for your mistake last week or they will be going to Japan.
    [​IMG]
    2 Brooks Bros Luxur 15 33 available
    [​IMG]
    And some nice Cole Haan Made in USA short wings 11.5B Available
    [​IMG]

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

haven't had much time for thrifting lately, but did find this oxxford owentsia jacket/orphan (anyone care to chime in?) a couple of days ago. tentative dibs are already called.

anyone know what this pattern is called? looks like a bunch of barbells.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

It's been done, without success. Anything as big and obvious and deep-pocketed as the eBay/PP monopoly is going to get some attention from lawyers, but the smattering of lawsuits, including anti-trust litigation, has resulted in nothing more than eBay allowing online payment services that no one has ever heard of, let alone uses. That a willing buyer and willing seller can't agree to use money orders or checks on eBay can't possibly be legal but, somehow, it is. Attorneys general should be all over this, but none are, even when PP freezes your funds for no reason other than a policy they cannot articulate.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

What are those?

15. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Found a Hilditch and Key shirt, fine dark purple and white stripes, 17" collar (my size), great shape, less than $10. SCORE.

Got it home, buttoned it up -- fit great!

Then I realized that the sleeves weren't bunching up a couple inches north of my wrists, but were in fact that short.

Anyone a 17/32 or so? If not, I guess I'll be wearing this one as a casual shirt with the sleeves rolled up. :)

Oh, and is anyone (I estimate) a 15.5-16 with the initials T.G. or T.A.? Some guy donated a whole bunch of H+K bespoke shirts with his monogram on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.