• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone ID these Orvis pants I found today? They're a nice heavyweight cotton fabric with faux suede trim. They're my size...

Not sure of the exact name, but they were not cheap. I found a pair a couple years ago and they sold at a nice profit on eBay.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

MONTHLY THRIFT THREAD COMPLAINT LIST
USPS policies
selling pants
ebay/paypal monopoly

whats next/

meta "what's this thread turning into" discussions

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
you know your on SF too much when you see this and think of a can of Spam....or is it a Spoo? It almost doesnt even make sense.... grr

Ventura w/ Holland & Sherry Cloth - My size and will replace my current (way lesser quality) Navy suit when black shoes are required. So I was
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Need a bit of help with this one - A ton of really nice leather goods in a nice leather bag - I'd keep the bag but could the leather be used for anything else? Some weird 'Total Estate Planning' Portfolios

Allen Edmonds 10.5 Berwick Tassled Loafers - Left these behind - They were 18$ but wasnt sure about the damage on the inside heel. Only had a few minutes in the store so couldnt inspect.

Zanella Flat Front 'Benny' 34 Waist - Olive

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MONTHLY THRIFT THREAD COMPLAINT LIST
USPS policies
selling pants
ebay/paypal monopoly

whats next/

Thrift store pricing?

Edit: Went to an Omaha thrift store and found three pairs of zanella pants (a sort of micro-houndstooth) One brown, one gray,and one blue. All double pleat, 36 in waist with at least 32 inseam. I got the gray pair for myself, and left the others.

I also found a couple of custom made suits, and a HSM gold trumpeter, but left them all. (Isn't gold trumpeter fully canvassed?)

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've often entertained the thought of taking eBay to court for this. Either that, or getting together a large group of my computer programmer buddies and creating a better online auction site, with lower fees, better customer service, etc. Someday...

Building the site isn't hard. Getting enough people onto it to make it useful is hard. See also: Google+ vs. Facebook

LooknGr8

Reaction score

see this and think of a can of Spam....or is it a Spoo? It almost doesnt even make sense

Perfect sense. They are one and the same, interchangeable!

(Just kidding, spoo):D

Allen Edmonds 10.5 Berwick Tassled Loafers - Left these behind - They were 18$ but wasnt sure about the damage on the inside heel. Only had a few minutes in the store so couldnt inspect.

While YMMV, acetone or shoe prep or (go easy on the) Goo Gone gets 99% of this crap out unless it's a deep scuff/abrasion or chemical burn of some kind. Other shoe pros here might have differing opinions but if those were in my size I'd think about going for it. Do this all at your own risk at home, of course. But for the most part even paint pen and harsh junk comes off for me. That's one of the reasons I think I'm into shoes, because they pretty much all clean up well and have allowed me to experiment on lesser pairs so when I get that "find" I know what to do (and I flat out can't afford new pairs of shoes now that my standards have been set by the likes of you all, ha!).

OTOH, the $18 price tag might give me pause.

But those Guccis I brought home yesterday seemed "in the ballpark" (I was way off) size wize. They were covered in mildew so bad I wasn't letting them anywhere near my feet and I asked for a separate bag at the checkout. There were some suspcious looking marks on them and it all magically came out with this "shoe prep" stuff I got from my cobbler, which is mostly acetone. He says acetone works fine, too. I've gotten a little over ambitious with edge ink experimenting with shoe reformation...and the shoe prep rubs that right out, too. So far.

On the leather bag with the bags inside...are those books/3ring binders inside? If I were tricking that bag out for work or travel, if you could remove the current contents and have no metal or nasty points protruding...those little bags on the inside would come in handy for the assorted little electronic doodads I have to carry but youdon't want loose in your bag (phone charger, spare batteries, car chargers, USB cables, etc). I got some tough little cordura-like zipper bags at Home Depot (3 pack for a few bucks) designed for screws and nails or small sharp tools to do the job in my Saddleback bag...

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thrift store pricing?
Edit: Went to an Omaha thrift store and found three pairs of zanella pants (a sort of micro-houndstooth) One brown, one gray,and one blue. All double pleat, 36 in waist with at least 32 inseam. I got the gray pair for myself, and left the others.
I also found a couple of custom made suits, and a HSM gold trumpeter, but left them all. (Isn't gold trumpeter fully canvassed?)

The HSM Gold Trumpeter suit that I own is Half-Canvassed. I read somewhere (might have been here) that some of them are fused with machine stitching while others have said half-canvassing and "specialty" pick stitching.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

The HSM Gold Trumpeter suit that I own is Half-Canvassed. I read somewhere (might have been here) that some of them are fused with machine stitching while others have said half-canvassing and "specialty" pick stitching.

Good to know :)

Hoofit

Reaction score
Found a couple of things last night from my local Savers, the store that hasn't had anything of note for months.
Paging Brian Pore this is a chance for you to make up for your mistake last week or they will be going to Japan.
007.jpg

2 Brooks Bros Luxur 15 33 available
001.jpg

And some nice Cole Haan Made in USA short wings 11.5B Available
008.jpg

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haven't had much time for thrifting lately, but did find this oxxford owentsia jacket/orphan (anyone care to chime in?) a couple of days ago. tentative dibs are already called.

anyone know what this pattern is called? looks like a bunch of barbells.

Egt0y.jpg

9cEzk.jpg

i3hx0.jpg

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've often entertained the thought of taking eBay to court for this. Either that, or getting together a large group of my computer programmer buddies and creating a better online auction site, with lower fees, better customer service, etc. Someday...

It's been done, without success. Anything as big and obvious and deep-pocketed as the eBay/PP monopoly is going to get some attention from lawyers, but the smattering of lawsuits, including anti-trust litigation, has resulted in nothing more than eBay allowing online payment services that no one has ever heard of, let alone uses. That a willing buyer and willing seller can't agree to use money orders or checks on eBay can't possibly be legal but, somehow, it is. Attorneys general should be all over this, but none are, even when PP freezes your funds for no reason other than a policy they cannot articulate.

ledude

Reaction score
Found a Hilditch and Key shirt, fine dark purple and white stripes, 17" collar (my size), great shape, less than $10. SCORE.

Got it home, buttoned it up -- fit great!

Then I realized that the sleeves weren't bunching up a couple inches north of my wrists, but were in fact that short.

Anyone a 17/32 or so? If not, I guess I'll be wearing this one as a casual shirt with the sleeves rolled up. :)

Oh, and is anyone (I estimate) a 15.5-16 with the initials T.G. or T.A.? Some guy donated a whole bunch of H+K bespoke shirts with his monogram on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads