• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

valium

Reaction score
Ideale saddles = cash. One of my neighbors has a nice Ideale on his bike that he locks outside through all of the elements. I thought about leaving a note on there and offering a nice, more durable saddle in trade but I haven't seen the bike in awhile. BTW, if it has an alloy base, it's worth a serious amount of money.

mine is the 39 model,not worth much but definitely a keeper..i think the 59 model is the alloy rails one, recently went for $1900 recently on ebay to japan (where else)

ps i got the bike and the saddle for $9.99 already had an offer for the bike for $120

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brianpore, you at all in need of workhorse shirts? I found these that might interest you:

Brooks Brothers "Original Polo" shirt; light blue 14.5/32

Brooks Brothers traditional fit; solid white 14.5/32
Brooks Brothers slim fit; solid white 14.5/32
Brooks Brothers slim fit; solid white 14.5/32

All freshly dry cleaned and in great shape.

EDIT: Damnit, sonafabitch table won't post right. Anyhow, it's 4x Brooks Bros standard shirts, 2 slim fit 2 regular fit, 3 white, 1 blue, all 14.5/32.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was a good day, at least, for around here, especially for trousers. Below is some of what I found:

First, the rare-as-hen's-teeth flat-front Zanella:

With, unfortunately, not at all rare holes. I am counting on those who recently said to go ahead, thrift damaged high-end items because even stuff with holes is easy to flip to get in touch--you know who you are. Then again, I paid $2 for these.

A pair of Santorellis, pleated, one of two pair that I found with some nice Italian trousers all next to each other on a rack they were getting ready to put out. Haven't measured yet, but I suspect they are all 36x34, which is the tagged size of the BB khakis I found along with the dress pants

The second pair of Santorellis

Zanella

Haven't heard of this brand, Premiere. Anyone?

Britches, another brand I don't know

Found these in a different store, NWOT, unhemmed and half-off, meaning they didn't cost much at all. They're pleated

Not pictured are a pair of as-new BB Elliot khakis, a pair of BB light green poplin flat front trousers and several athletic jerseys--Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez, Marshall Faulk, John Stockton--that are usually painless flips on eBay. I see stuff like that, not every day, but often enough. I do not see trousers like this every day, however, and for sheer volume (I went to five stores, one more than usual, and struck out at two) this is a pretty good outing. Not minding pleats, the above trousers will likely work for me, but undecided on whether to keep or flip.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

i know you like bikes...found a 1970's french made Peugeot today (not too exciting) but it had a nice french made IDEALE leather seat (exciting)
Awesome find! So... You're telling me this because you plan on trading me for some menswear, right? :)

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Darkmatter wins the internets this week.

This is 2007. DM7 is Tiger Woods. And we're all Phil, Vijay, et al.

My point is: DM7 wins the interwebs EVERY week.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mine is the 39 model,not worth much but definitely a keeper..i think the 59 model is the alloy rails one, recently went for $1900 recently on ebay to japan (where else)

ps i got the bike and the saddle for $9.99 already had an offer for the bike for $120

I once saw an empty box for Campagnolo pedals sell for more than $200 to someone in Japan. A friend sent me the link, and we both bemoaned all the empty Campy boxes that had passed through our hands and straight to the trash.

lastdonb

Reaction score
I think it's time constrained also, I bought something a couple years ago and my account has that time frame, thus the 25 limit. If you just posted/bought recently, I could see the ten total posts limit.

But at best it's 90 days then there is no limit (unless you have negative feedback).
hmm i tried creating one last week and it said ten total for new members,but im in canada maybe thats why? i know members in china and india are limited to that as well but would think Canada was different.

It's still 25 per catagory.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone else hate selling pants as much as me?

They're not as big a pain as suits or sport coats, in my experience. Not as much measuring, easier to package and ship. Bonus if they're all the same size and you can make a package deal. The market isn't as robust, though. I suppose we'll see with this batch.

Last edited:

rayxlui

Reaction score

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
With, unfortunately, not at all rare holes. I am counting on those who recently said to go ahead, thrift damaged high-end items because even stuff with holes is easy to flip to get in touch--you know who you are. Then again, I paid $2 for these.
Only problem is....these arent high end items with holes....I'm one of the people that said you can buy high end items with a small hold here and there, but by high end I (and I am assuming others) mean RLPL, Brioni, Oxxford, Kiton, Isaia, etc suits or sport coats and the holes have to be small and inconspicuous. I would almost just re-donate those or try to give them away and cover you cost with the shipping.

Does anyone else hate selling pants as much as me?
Nope, I love selling pants, then again I love selling pretty much everything....I HATE going though the pants and finding them to sell though.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
Today was a good day, at least, for around here, especially for trousers. Below is some of what I found:
First, the rare-as-hen's-teeth flat-front Zanella:

A pair of Santorellis, pleated, one of two pair that I found with some nice Italian trousers all next to each other on a rack they were getting ready to put out. Haven't measured yet, but I suspect they are all 36x34, which is the tagged size of the BB khakis I found along with the dress pants

The second pair of Santorellis

Zanella

Haven't heard of this brand, Premiere. Anyone?

Britches, another brand I don't know

Found these in a different store, NWOT, unhemmed and half-off, meaning they didn't cost much at all. They're pleated

Not pictured are a pair of as-new BB Elliot khakis, a pair of BB light green poplin flat front trousers and several athletic jerseys--Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez, Marshall Faulk, John Stockton--that are usually painless flips on eBay. I see stuff like that, not every day, but often enough. I do not see trousers like this every day, however, and for sheer volume (I went to five stores, one more than usual, and struck out at two) this is a pretty good outing. Not minding pleats, the above trousers will likely work for me, but undecided on whether to keep or flip.

When people say it is worth thrifting high-end items with small damages, they are talking about the top-tier stuff (RLPL, Hermes, Charvet, Brioni, etc). Zanella definitely wouldn't fall into that category. I'm guessing those pants are worthless, or close to it.

I probably would have passed on almost all of those pants, except maybe the 36 navy Zanella's. They all look relatively old, and I would agree with Spoo that selling pants is a pain **********. A good pair of pants is worth about the same or less than a dress shirt, and they require way more measurements and more storage space. Plus probably 50% of dress pants in thrift stores have nasty piss stains.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the
worship.gif
drool.gif
, and
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sorry for inducing
baldy[1].gif
, and no I've made no deals with the
devil.gif

Please don't let my posts get you down. Two months ago I was posting Christian Dior diffusion thinking it was the ****.

Read the thread, figure out your city's demographics and your thrift stores' distribution networks, and get your timing down. It is possible that LA is just thrifting heaven, but I don't think that is the case. If you're in a large city, following the guidelines above and spending A LOT of time thrifting should net you some pretty good finds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads