The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valium

valium Senior member

mine is the 39 model,not worth much but definitely a keeper..i think the 59 model is the alloy rails one, recently went for $1900 recently on ebay to japan (where else)

ps i got the bike and the saddle for $9.99 already had an offer for the bike for $120

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. valium

valium Senior member

no all black,the Record Du Monde model

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Brianpore, you at all in need of workhorse shirts? I found these that might interest you:

Brooks Brothers "Original Polo" shirt; light blue 14.5/32

Brooks Brothers traditional fit; solid white 14.5/32
    Brooks Brothers slim fit; solid white 14.5/32
    Brooks Brothers slim fit; solid white 14.5/32

All freshly dry cleaned and in great shape.

EDIT: Damnit, sonafabitch table won't post right. Anyhow, it's 4x Brooks Bros standard shirts, 2 slim fit 2 regular fit, 3 white, 1 blue, all 14.5/32.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

T.H.I.S.

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Today was a good day, at least, for around here, especially for trousers. Below is some of what I found:

First, the rare-as-hen's-teeth flat-front Zanella:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With, unfortunately, not at all rare holes. I am counting on those who recently said to go ahead, thrift damaged high-end items because even stuff with holes is easy to flip to get in touch--you know who you are. Then again, I paid $2 for these.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

A pair of Santorellis, pleated, one of two pair that I found with some nice Italian trousers all next to each other on a rack they were getting ready to put out. Haven't measured yet, but I suspect they are all 36x34, which is the tagged size of the BB khakis I found along with the dress pants

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The second pair of Santorellis

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Zanella

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Haven't heard of this brand, Premiere. Anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Britches, another brand I don't know

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Found these in a different store, NWOT, unhemmed and half-off, meaning they didn't cost much at all. They're pleated

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Not pictured are a pair of as-new BB Elliot khakis, a pair of BB light green poplin flat front trousers and several athletic jerseys--Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez, Marshall Faulk, John Stockton--that are usually painless flips on eBay. I see stuff like that, not every day, but often enough. I do not see trousers like this every day, however, and for sheer volume (I went to five stores, one more than usual, and struck out at two) this is a pretty good outing. Not minding pleats, the above trousers will likely work for me, but undecided on whether to keep or flip.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Does anyone else hate selling pants as much as me?

7. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Awesome find! So... You're telling me this because you plan on trading me for some menswear, right? :)

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

This is 2007. DM7 is Tiger Woods. And we're all Phil, Vijay, et al.

My point is: DM7 wins the interwebs EVERY week.

9. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I once saw an empty box for Campagnolo pedals sell for more than $200 to someone in Japan. A friend sent me the link, and we both bemoaned all the empty Campy boxes that had passed through our hands and straight to the trash.

10. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

I think it's time constrained also, I bought something a couple years ago and my account has that time frame, thus the 25 limit. If you just posted/bought recently, I could see the ten total posts limit.

But at best it's 90 days then there is no limit (unless you have negative feedback).

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

They're not as big a pain as suits or sport coats, in my experience. Not as much measuring, easier to package and ship. Bonus if they're all the same size and you can make a package deal. The market isn't as robust, though. I suppose we'll see with this batch.

12. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

BALLER!:slayer:

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Only problem is....these arent high end items with holes....I'm one of the people that said you can buy high end items with a small hold here and there, but by high end I (and I am assuming others) mean RLPL, Brioni, Oxxford, Kiton, Isaia, etc suits or sport coats and the holes have to be small and inconspicuous. I would almost just re-donate those or try to give them away and cover you cost with the shipping.

Nope, I love selling pants, then again I love selling pretty much everything....I HATE going though the pants and finding them to sell though.

14. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

When people say it is worth thrifting high-end items with small damages, they are talking about the top-tier stuff (RLPL, Hermes, Charvet, Brioni, etc). Zanella definitely wouldn't fall into that category. I'm guessing those pants are worthless, or close to it.

I probably would have passed on almost all of those pants, except maybe the 36 navy Zanella's. They all look relatively old, and I would agree with Spoo that selling pants is a pain in the ass. A good pair of pants is worth about the same or less than a dress shirt, and they require way more measurements and more storage space. Plus probably 50% of dress pants in thrift stores have nasty piss stains.

15. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for all of the [​IMG], [​IMG], and [​IMG].

Sorry for inducing [​IMG], and no I've made no deals with the [​IMG].

Please don't let my posts get you down. Two months ago I was posting Christian Dior diffusion thinking it was the ****.

Read the thread, figure out your city's demographics and your thrift stores' distribution networks, and get your timing down. It is possible that LA is just thrifting heaven, but I don't think that is the case. If you're in a large city, following the guidelines above and spending A LOT of time thrifting should net you some pretty good finds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.