The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ Fair enough. However, I've had great luck in the past using sole measurements (among other things) as a fit indicator especially for shoes that I'm not familiar with since marked sizing is all over the place. If a shoe's exterior sole measures 11 7/8 inches or longer and 3 7/8 inches or wider and I do the appropriate reading in the numerous shoe fit threads both on SF and other forums, I can usually make an informed purchase decision and have nobody to blame but myself for a poor fit. I have NEVER returned an item due to fit issues unless there was some sort of actual or material discrepancy in the original item description.

Sooo, it's time for the $65,000 question(s):

What is the best fit indicator for shoes that one is not personally familiar with? How does one use information about specific shoe lasts without being able to try on shoes made on those lasts?

Thanks!
    -M-

PS. I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I think that this is good information that would be of particular use to those of us dealing in other people's seconds.

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Damn it DM7! Now I want details on some of the BBGF suits but I don't know when they will be for sale :( Also, the thrifting gods love you

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

This. Good lord!

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Gods don't deliver like this... that boy has made a deal with the devil

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:

I think you should just drop out of school and open a high end second hand boutique. Those GF suits are gorgeous and I would imagine they would fill staples in multiple closets. Nice finds, yet again. [​IMG]

6. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

No kidding - I'm going to start googling to see whether there were reports of an armed robbery at a Brooks Brothers somewhere! In all seriousness, well done.

You really must let us know when that stuff is about to go up for sale. (I can't remember, is your guy ebay or elsewhere?)

7. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

What I was thinking.

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Got some shoes the other day, but the inside name is almost worn completely off so I couldn't see who the maker is...Almost passed on them, but quality seemed there, they fit perfectly, and they're really unique looking. Today, looked at the name very closely under light, and I can just barely make out a "..rtegani, 1891, made in Italy." Did some googling...

Romano Martegani

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Looks like my quality detection skills are improving [​IMG]. Have to run, but will post pics tonight when I get home.

9. valium

valium Senior member

i think its now only 10 items or $1000 whichever you hit first per month,thats why i couldbt bother opening a account.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

+1... those sea island cotton BBGF shirts are grails for me, always wanted one. Hoping one measures a little longer than 35 in the sleeves. :nodding:

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

[​IMG] That's a lot of recent Golden Fleece! Wow! Seriously, your hauls are killer! :worship:
    Sounds like a solid score! Can't wait for pics! Not too good of a day today. Got my lay off notice this afternoon. :( I did find these Brooks Brothers shell cordovan loafers. Pretty sure these are made by Alden. They've been worn and loved. Soles likely need to be replaced (kinda soft near the middle) and a small tear on the tongue of the left shoe. Still, couldn't leave these puppies behind. Size 8 B [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

What...you sell stuff Steve? [​IMG]

13. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Only a post by darkmatter can make me feel unfulfilled with finding three bnwt Isaia seven fold ties for $25/each today.

14. valium

valium Senior member

i know you like bikes...found a 1970's french made Peugeot today (not too exciting) but it had a nice french made IDEALE leather seat (exciting)

15. plei89

plei89 Senior member

jaw dropping..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.