• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat135ta

Reaction score

Finally got to cross Florsheim Imperial V Cleats off my list of things to find. And even better, my brother called me the day before for advice on buying a pair of black shoes.These are in his size and match the tan V Cleats I got him for Christmas. I had the earlier pair shipped directly to him, so I never got to see them in person. They're definitely tanks.

Is the toe area on the left shoe in a condition not as good as the right shoe? If so, I think I know where you found these :slayer:

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is the toe area on the left shoe in a condition not as good as the right shoe? If so, I think I know where you found these
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Me too
tongue.gif

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
My question is: what animal is on the outside?

^^^ Not sure if it's genuine since I don't have it in my hands, but (I THINK) it looks to be either genuine or made to look like turtle / tortoise / or sea turtle skin. Google it and see for yourself.

Don't know anything about Alan McAfee... Good? They look gorgeous.

I went today at lunch... Not a lot but I was excited about a NWOT Coach surcingle belt... also picked up a Polo RL Polo 'cause I been had Polo
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

^^^ A lot of us Americans don't know what's up with Alan McAfee (English maker on the same VINTAGE level as Church's). I'm a member of a UK Trad forum and all the Brit's know what's what with Alan McAfee. They are English made shoes that most of us American's haven't blown-up yet on eBay and can still be had for less than $50. One of the best kept secrets on the web... until now. When they ask who let the cat out... you tell 'em - TYPHOID_JONES did it.

Last edited:

amadar

Reaction score

^^^  Not sure if it's genuine since I don't have it in my hands, but (I THINK) it looks to be either genuine or made to look like turtle / tortoise / or sea turtle skin.  Google it and see for yourself.

Sorry, I have to quash this statement to set the record straight. When I said before that "this looks like mutilated calfskin", I meant "this is 100% without a doubt mutilated calfskin." Also, it is calfskin embossed to look like croc. Sea turtle has very irregularly shaped and sized scales, unlike the more uniform look of alligator and croc. Crazy as it seems, I have thrifted 3 separate sea turtle leather items within the past year or so, and have spent WAY too much time learning the differences between croc, gator, embossed leather, and other exotics. :teach:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Quote:
Sorry, I have to quash this statement to set the record straight. When I said before that "this looks like mutilated calfskin", I meant "this is 100% without a doubt mutilated calfskin." Also, it is calfskin embossed to look like croc. Sea turtle has very irregularly shaped and sized scales, unlike the more uniform look of alligator and croc. Crazy as it seems, I have thrifted 3 separate sea turtle leather items within the past year or so, and have spent WAY too much time learning the differences between croc, gator, embossed leather, and other exotics.
teacha.gif

Thanks for that! I've thrifted croc, eel, lizard, and stingray pieces over the years (not often, but every once in a while). Never gotten my hands on turtle or tortoise skin anything, but you're right about the pattern being too regular. But I still think it's embossed to look like turtle or tortoise skin and not croc.
shog[1].gif

^^^ Vintage NOS 1960's watch strap in turtle leather.

^^^ Not-so-vintage double sea turtle egg shooters in Costa Rica.

Last edited:

Anduru

Reaction score
Found 2 items today a NWT Zegna tie nothing crazy but nice pick up. Also a DSQUARED2 denim jacket. I need some help for SW&D guys on this one. I am not sure that it was a good pick, but it seems that I have heard of the brand on the board. First is is Mens or Womens? Size 50 Made in Italy
DSQUARED2001.jpg
Canadian design ftw.

pretty funky, worth anything?

omg, i dunno what it's worth but i want one

Anduru

Reaction score
+100000. I almost ate **** a solid 15 times today...and every day I wear these things, but man is that click clack makes it worth it, haha

Quote:
Almost forgot I was on a men's fashion forum for a second there.

Joking aside, what are "suicide heels" in men's terms?
uhoh.gif

I have some click-clack boots/shoes but I've never fallen in them.

Imagine a man in a pair of black 6 inch Louboutins falling like a model on a catwalk though.
rotflmao.gif

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
No, please, not again. This happens every other month or so. It's a tired debate with rehashed arguments. And I think NORE is just trolling anyway (could be wrong, don't care).
What we should be focusing on is finding where Darkmatter lives/thrifts and invading. Send a PM to contribute to the war chest for the trip.

Los Angeles.

If anyone happens to visit, send me a PM.  I will take you to the treasure chests.

Also, I leave behind a TON of Zegna/Canali level stuff. If anyone wants to know where I've left a large quantity of stuff behind, let me know.  Today in particular I left behind 5+ Canali suits, and 10+ Sport Coats / Orphans.  Also left behind Belvest, Chester Barrie, and Brioni Sport Coats that were priced too high :fu:

This is might have been the end of the thread for me. Well, aside from the riveting discussion about envelopes.

You leave behind Canali and Zegna when there are tons of guys on this thread that you absolutely know would love to have it? You're right ******* there man....help out your thread bros who live in ******* Omaha or wherever and are trying to build a nice wardrobe but can only find BB 346 in their thrift shops. You'll tell them where they are? What the **** are they going to do? Drive from Illinois to LA to pick up a thrifted suit?

You spend enough time in this thread to know what regular posters are looking for and most of them have their wants and their sizes right there in their friggin signature line. You don't even have to gouge them on the price or anything! Just ******* grab the suit/SC/shirt/whatever and post that you have it available for cost and shipping and even a couple bucks extra and I'd bet money that you'd sell it. Why not help out the guys in here who are looking for higher end stuff than what they can find locally? You aren't losing any money on the deal and you're doing a solid for people.

In many ways, this thread has become a community within SF. Be a member of that community, not a mercenary passing through.

LOUNGELIZARD

Reaction score
Picked up a Prada Milano suit on Thursday for £15. I was going through the usual Marks and Spencer on the rack when there it was! Both trouser pocket buttons were missing and there was very light overshine to the elbows but I bought it anyway. While there I'd seen two Basile shirts for £3.50 each, but left them because I didn't know the name. Anyway, after checking on ebay I went back today for the shirts and took another quick look through the suit rack. Three Prada Milanos! £30 each this time. All the same size. Used but good condition. One had a small stain to the inner lining but this hadn't gone through to the front of the jacket. After a bit of debating I bought two of the suits and the two Basiles, together with a Thomas Pink dress shirt for £2.75. The third Prada had all the labels cut out from the jacket and the trousers so I was left thinking would someone buy this off me on ebay? It's a suit with just the Prada Milano badge on the inner breast pocket and that's it...the other three have the white labels with barcodes and sizes, materials etc. Any advice from anyone on what to look for in these suits to show they're genuine? And would you stagger the sales on ebay so it doesn't look like you've a stash of counterfeit Prada for sale.

I'll upload the photos shortly.

Last edited:

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a pure brag post
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
...these are NOT available (not that they would fit any of you anyways). Saw these on ebay with a $20 opening bid, and got them for a c-note shipped before the bidding got started!
My first pair of shell, and Allen Edmonds MacNeil Longwings at that!
I have bad news for you; those are corrected grain or 'polished cobbler. I have literally bought and sold 100's of unmarked shell shoes on eBay and can tell from a mile away. Tell tale indicators: - the model # (there is a listing somewhere) - the shade (their shell is more burgundy, their calf more 'plum' and corrected grain this true red color - the eyelets. Shell is thick and you will see a concave flow to the opening where here you see the basic 'punch out' of non-shell - the wrinkles. Though the long waves of shell are seen on the uppers they also have fine creases in the bottom of the waves. Were these shell you would be more likely to see a whiter reflection or some other slight discoloration, but nonetheless no fine wrinkles

valium

Reaction score
+1...dude some people have families and work crazy hours they dont have time to pick up something,pack it and ship it ( i know every time i go to the post office i lose at least 15 minutes of my life waiting in line).
i know its NOT THAT time consuming,but time is time never the less and some people would rather devote it to themselves,more thrifting or something else rather then proxy you dont have to bust his balls for it .
some people will do it and that's great but some wont,move on and get over it geez
Chill out man.

Last edited:

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
+1...dude some people have families and work crazy hours they dont have time to pick up something,pack it and ship it ( i know every time i go to the post office i lose at least 15 minutes of my life waiting in line).
i know its NOT THAT time consuming,but time is time never the less and some people would rather devote it to themselves,more thrifting  or something else rather then proxy you dont have to bust his balls for it .
some people will do it and that's  great but some wont,move on and get over it geez
Chill out man.

Yeah, I probably overreacted but I was specifically addressing DarkMatter7 and I know he isn't in that situation because he has stated he is a student numerous times. All I'm saying is that while he is already out thrifting and while he is already at the post office consigning stuff to his mystery Ebay seller he could make someone's day by picking up high end stuff and hooking an SF member up, Not saying he has to make special trips at all. He is already there and passing on Canali and Zegna when people here would love to have it Doesn't really seem like that much extra effort at all.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chill out man.

If I had nickel for every time I found a can't-miss BB level suit and then dealt with the back-and-forth with flakers and non-perpetrators on the Internet trying to get it sold, I wouldn't have to shop in thrift stores. He left stuff, methinks, because he didn't think he could flip it for a price that was worth the work. Deal with it, because it IS work. He did the "community" a favor by opening the door to others by PM'ing him for the spot.

This ain't a charity, dude--thrifters are not non-profit clothiers to the masses. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads