The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

Is the toe area on the left shoe in a condition not as good as the right shoe? If so, I think I know where you found these :slayer:

2. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Me too [​IMG]

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ Not sure if it's genuine since I don't have it in my hands, but (I THINK) it looks to be either genuine or made to look like turtle / tortoise / or sea turtle skin. Google it and see for yourself.

^^^ A lot of us Americans don't know what's up with Alan McAfee (English maker on the same VINTAGE level as Church's). I'm a member of a UK Trad forum and all the Brit's know what's what with Alan McAfee. They are English made shoes that most of us American's haven't blown-up yet on eBay and can still be had for less than $50. One of the best kept secrets on the web... until now. When they ask who let the cat out... you tell 'em - TYPHOID_JONES did it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  4. amadar

amadar Senior member

Sorry, I have to quash this statement to set the record straight. When I said before that "this looks like mutilated calfskin", I meant "this is 100% without a doubt mutilated calfskin." Also, it is calfskin embossed to look like croc. Sea turtle has very irregularly shaped and sized scales, unlike the more uniform look of alligator and croc. Crazy as it seems, I have thrifted 3 separate sea turtle leather items within the past year or so, and have spent WAY too much time learning the differences between croc, gator, embossed leather, and other exotics. :teach:

5. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Quote:
    Thanks for that! I've thrifted croc, eel, lizard, and stingray pieces over the years (not often, but every once in a while). Never gotten my hands on turtle or tortoise skin anything, but you're right about the pattern being too regular. But I still think it's embossed to look like turtle or tortoise skin and not croc. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ Vintage NOS 1960's watch strap in turtle leather.

[​IMG]

^^^ Not-so-vintage double sea turtle egg shooters in Costa Rica.

6. Anduru

Anduru Senior member

Canadian design ftw.

omg, i dunno what it's worth but i want one

7. Anduru

Anduru Senior member

8. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

This is might have been the end of the thread for me. Well, aside from the riveting discussion about envelopes.

You leave behind Canali and Zegna when there are tons of guys on this thread that you absolutely know would love to have it? You're right fucking there man....help out your thread bros who live in fucking Omaha or wherever and are trying to build a nice wardrobe but can only find BB 346 in their thrift shops. You'll tell them where they are? What the fuck are they going to do? Drive from Illinois to LA to pick up a thrifted suit?

You spend enough time in this thread to know what regular posters are looking for and most of them have their wants and their sizes right there in their friggin signature line. You don't even have to gouge them on the price or anything! Just fucking grab the suit/SC/shirt/whatever and post that you have it available for cost and shipping and even a couple bucks extra and I'd bet money that you'd sell it. Why not help out the guys in here who are looking for higher end stuff than what they can find locally? You aren't losing any money on the deal and you're doing a solid for people.

In many ways, this thread has become a community within SF. Be a member of that community, not a mercenary passing through.

9. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

Picked up a Prada Milano suit on Thursday for £15. I was going through the usual Marks and Spencer on the rack when there it was! Both trouser pocket buttons were missing and there was very light overshine to the elbows but I bought it anyway. While there I'd seen two Basile shirts for £3.50 each, but left them because I didn't know the name. Anyway, after checking on ebay I went back today for the shirts and took another quick look through the suit rack. Three Prada Milanos! £30 each this time. All the same size. Used but good condition. One had a small stain to the inner lining but this hadn't gone through to the front of the jacket. After a bit of debating I bought two of the suits and the two Basiles, together with a Thomas Pink dress shirt for £2.75. The third Prada had all the labels cut out from the jacket and the trousers so I was left thinking would someone buy this off me on ebay? It's a suit with just the Prada Milano badge on the inner breast pocket and that's it...the other three have the white labels with barcodes and sizes, materials etc. Any advice from anyone on what to look for in these suits to show they're genuine? And would you stagger the sales on ebay so it doesn't look like you've a stash of counterfeit Prada for sale.

I'll upload the photos shortly.

10. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I have bad news for you; those are corrected grain or 'polished cobbler. I have literally bought and sold 100's of unmarked shell shoes on eBay and can tell from a mile away. Tell tale indicators: - the model # (there is a listing somewhere) - the shade (their shell is more burgundy, their calf more 'plum' and corrected grain this true red color - the eyelets. Shell is thick and you will see a concave flow to the opening where here you see the basic 'punch out' of non-shell - the wrinkles. Though the long waves of shell are seen on the uppers they also have fine creases in the bottom of the waves. Were these shell you would be more likely to see a whiter reflection or some other slight discoloration, but nonetheless no fine wrinkles

11. applky

applky Senior member

12. Anduru

Anduru Senior member

[​IMG]
    Good lord I want these.

13. valium

valium Senior member

+1...dude some people have families and work crazy hours they dont have time to pick up something,pack it and ship it ( i know every time i go to the post office i lose at least 15 minutes of my life waiting in line).
    i know its NOT THAT time consuming,but time is time never the less and some people would rather devote it to themselves,more thrifting or something else rather then proxy you dont have to bust his balls for it .
    some people will do it and that's great but some wont,move on and get over it geez

14. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Yeah, I probably overreacted but I was specifically addressing DarkMatter7 and I know he isn't in that situation because he has stated he is a student numerous times. All I'm saying is that while he is already out thrifting and while he is already at the post office consigning stuff to his mystery Ebay seller he could make someone's day by picking up high end stuff and hooking an SF member up, Not saying he has to make special trips at all. He is already there and passing on Canali and Zegna when people here would love to have it Doesn't really seem like that much extra effort at all.

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

If I had nickel for every time I found a can't-miss BB level suit and then dealt with the back-and-forth with flakers and non-perpetrators on the Internet trying to get it sold, I wouldn't have to shop in thrift stores. He left stuff, methinks, because he didn't think he could flip it for a price that was worth the work. Deal with it, because it IS work. He did the "community" a favor by opening the door to others by PM'ing him for the spot.

This ain't a charity, dude--thrifters are not non-profit clothiers to the masses. Deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.