The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG] :lol:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. applky

applky Senior member

+1!

lol

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Dig, that post was awesome.

+1. It's a nice thing to do every once in a while, but if you picked up every item that someone on here might want to pass it along, things would get out of control. And in this specific case, I don't think many of us get crazy excited about Canali, or even Zegna depending on its age and design. Also darkmatter7 mentioned that his dorm room is full of finds, and he's already having to consign stuff because he doesn't have the time/desire to move it all himself.

4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Hey all!

Not sure if anyone else (besides me, lol) is into Trad / Ivy summer wear, but here goes. I came up with these 5 surcingle / emblematic belts in some larger sizes that I haven't been able to do anything with.

[​IMG]

(TOP to BOTTOM)

• Vintage Dooney & Bourke red surcingle with mid-brown leather ends and solid brass buckle. Marked 40. (No fading or discoloration - this belt is RED.)
    • Vintage Leather Man Ltd. nautical flags emblematic belt with mid-brown leather ends and a solid brass buckle. Marked 42.
    • Vintage Leather Man Ltd. spouting whales emblematic belt with mid-brown leather ends and a solid brass buckle. Marked 44.
    • Vintage Leather Man Ltd. "Elk Ridge Club 1878" emblematic belt with mid-brown leather ends and a solid brass buckle. Marked 44.
    • Vintage Leather Man Ltd. squirrel getting a nut emblematic belt with mid-brown leather ends and a solid brass buckle. Marked 44.

* Leather Man Ltd. is a Connecticut company that makes belts.
    ** All of these belts are in good condition. Thick buckles, sturdy leather, strong attachment points.
    *** All of these belts are made in USA.

Also, not spamming, but just looking to trade with someone on here for something either in my size or that I can use. Besides, I have WAY better luck trading directly with you guys on this thread than on the B&S / thrift trade page.

Thanks!
    -M-

5. valium

valium Senior member

you know what ,i would actually rock the shit out of that polo and wear it.is this a fake or it came from polo like that,because if it did i think it would be valuable just for the rarity of it,kind of like misprinted notes?

6. valium

valium Senior member

PS update:sold the reel to reel for $600 and the tapes for $900 (20 of the 90 tapes actually had AMPEX master recording tape on it).
    not bad for a total investment of $48

7. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Quote:
    ^^^ Now all the buyer needs is Uma Thurman OD'd on heroin in his living room... [​IMG]

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Thanks for the shout out :slayer:

I wish we had BB stuff :laugh:

Edit: I must add that when thrifting in MN I have passed up on old zegna and old canali before, I usually assume if I would not wear something, it's probably not worth selling either.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

That is recent and is Saxxon wool, about $2000 retail. Nice find.

I have sold a few of that suit and a few 1818's with that fabric. It is extraordinary.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thanks, but the number WAS in the listing...hence why I bought them without getting better pictures, and in my over excietment did not even look at the shoes before taking pictures and posting.

Not really that easy.... but good attitude to have if you want to help other members out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My stupid thrift store has started a policy where they put a "security tag" on every single pair of shoes. This wouldnt be a big deal (as I'm not trying to steal them), but the put them THROUGH THE DAMN LEATHER!!! Not in on of the eyelits. Really nice pair of Ferragamos in my size...destroyed! (Either they are trying to limit people flipping...there prices arent that cheap to start with, or they are just stupid).

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I just got one of these...

[​IMG]

...delivered by this guy...

[​IMG]

...containing one of these!

[​IMG]

Tyveck FTW.

Thanks Bri! Positive feedback has been delivered.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer:
    Yeah, I've passed up new and old Canali quite a bit. I have a super recent sportcoat in a regular size (46 R) that still had the pockets basted shut. Couldn't give the thing away on here. Ended up putting it on the bay and got $20. Said to myself "Never again". However, I always pick up semi-recent and newer Zegna stuff if it's in nice shape and not tailored strangely.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Weird... People don't like Canali?

14. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I tried selling a canali staple navy blazer, I think I got $30 for it :( (it was like new)

Canali has a new line that is more "SF approved" soft shoulders, slim fit, not as long in the body, etc

I would have no reservations buying the new line if I found it (for myself of course)

15. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Hey guys. Thanks for defending me.

I'm not trying to [​IMG] or [​IMG], but I will offer up an explanation.

1. I am a college student, with a now nearly nonexistent savings, and a low credit card limit. Just by buying the higher level stuff in the last 1.5 months, I have hit my credit card limit a few times, and dipped into more than half of my savings. I simply don't have the money, or even credit, to pick up all of this Canali/Zegna level stuff.

2. Nataku, and others are right: there is massive risk involved in selling. If I started selling large amounts of this stuff at cost, much of it would not sell, or not sell for what I paid. On top of that, my gas costs would make the process very costly for me.

3. If I find recent Canali/Zegna, I will pick it up. For almost all of the stuff I don't pick up, there is a reason (high price, unvented, old, double breasted).

4. I don't have the time to sell things. Just the time I've spent thrifting has left me behind on a few of my classes, which is why I'm consigning my stuff.

I really thought I was being pretty generous to direct people to spots where they might find stuff [​IMG] I've already sent 3-4 members in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.