• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you dont have to take either of our words just go to this page,the examples i listed are only the first four of about 40 reported cases from that threa ad alone here you go,cant argue with facts and CONVICTIONS!!! http://www.amazonsellercommunity.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=173496&start=0&tstart=0
ir
Disagreement over GW - good job I have absolutely no idea about them - I always enjoyed a decent argument or difference of opinion. Argue away guys, maybe an ignorant fellow like me can learn something.
lurker%5B1%5D.gif
[/SPOILER] Dont want to sound stoopid here, but WTF is that and what size? Outfit for sale, shirt, whats avail?
Uh, you just proved my point. Every example you have cited is wrongdoing by individual chapters, and the Illinois case is more than a decade old. The Santa Clara case dates back to 2003. I haven't bothered checking the others, but, if you like, I will, keeping in mind that you accused GW as a whole of being under investigation as we speak. As I said, the integrity of any local charity, including GW, is dependent on the quality of leadership and the vigilance of the community, and GW has never pretended anything else. To paint an entire charity as corrupt based on isolated scandals that stretch no further than one town or county is misleading and erroneous, analogous to calling all Scoutmasters child molesters based on a smattering of pervs. To its credit, a GW chapter in Wisconsin, after being hit by an embezzling employee, published a handbook on how to prevent such misdeeds that included a blow-by-blow of how it happened to them and then sent the publication gratis to every GW in the nation. And if you won't take my word for that, I'll find you a link. Digging your grave even deeper, you hold up VV, which is arguably a for-profit front that uses the name of charities to bolster its image, as an example of virtue. That's just plain stupid, my man. I've forgotten more about thrift stores than you'll ever know, and if you want to keep up this silly argument that GW is generically corrupt, bring it.

valium

Reaction score
read the links.i rest my case.and my balls..on your face

Uh, you just proved my point.
Every example you have cited is wrongdoing by individual chapters, and the Illinois case is more than a decade old. The Santa Clara case dates back to 2003. I haven't bothered checking the others, but, if you like, I will, keeping in mind that you accused GW as a whole of being under investigation as we speak. As I said, the integrity of any local charity, including GW, is dependent on the quality of leadership and the vigilance of the community, and GW has never pretended anything else. To paint an entire charity as corrupt based on isolated scandals that stretch no further than one town or county is misleading and erroneous, analogous to calling all Scoutmasters child molesters based on a smattering of pervs. To its credit, a GW chapter in Wisconsin, after being hit by an embezzling employee, published a handbook on how to prevent such misdeeds that included a blow-by-blow of how it happened to them and then sent the publication gratis to every GW in the nation. And if you won't take my word for that, I'll find you a link. Digging your grave even deeper, you hold up VV, which is arguably a for-profit front that uses the name of charities to bolster its image, as an example of virtue. That's just plain stupid, my man. I've forgotten more about thrift stores than you'll ever know, and if you want to keep up this silly argument that GW is generically corrupt, bring it.

ledude

Reaction score
Found three fully canvassed Tom James jackets that fit, one of which could work as a sport coat; the other two were identical gray pinstriped suit jackets, and I couldn't find the pants. Too bad; I could probably use a suit like that. Also, a Hickey Freeman plain charcoal jacket (surely half a suit?) that was like five sizes too big. Also an awesome made-in-USA full-length herringbone tweed overcoat that I had to leave because it was just way too big (like a 48). How I wanted that bad boy to fit. My Goodwill must have hit a going-out-of-business sale at a formalwear place because there were tons of identical rental tux jackets there (with no pants). Oh yes, and a cool textured tie, black with a pattern of tan discs that look like records, made in Italy for Bernini Beverly Hills.

Then, Haines & Bonner and irregular Brooks Bros. ties at Marshalls, three pairs of sub-$50 NWT Zanella flat-front pants and a blue cashmere tie at N. Rack, and an Armani Jeans shirt and blue herringbone Pink shirt, both too small for me but bought for resale. A productive day, all told.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

read the links.i rest my case.and my balls..on your face

You wish.

I read the links. I read the bullshit Amazon thread from sour grapes pissed because they think GW charges too much for stuff (which may or may not be the case, but the money, at least, goes to a good cause and this is, after all, America) and yakking about GW getting money from the government, which, in fact, it should when it comes to landing grants for providing services to the disabled. If you don't like Medicaid, then ***** to your congressman for funding the program, not to GW for applying for grants. And don't forget that the vast majority of GW's money comes from thrift stores, not from the government. As I said earlier, you can look that up--every tax return for every GW chapter in the country is online. That's transparency, not a bunch of wipeasses talking **** because they can't buy Burberry from GW for fifty cents anymore.

w00tah

Reaction score

lol actually i have a fine ass 26 year old asian gf calling my name for the last hour.
look man,i made a comment.the guy said i was full of **** so i just posted numerous irrefutable proof in black and white.thats why he hasnt said anything since.
case closed
If thats how you autoomatically describe your significant other I think you have more problems than arguing in a thrift thread acting like a fool.

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Found three fully canvassed Tom James jackets that fit, one of which could work as a sport coat; the other two were identical gray pinstriped suit jackets, and I couldn't find the pants. Too bad; I could probably use a suit like that. Also, a Hickey Freeman plain charcoal jacket (surely half a suit?) that was like five sizes too big. Also an awesome made-in-USA full-length herringbone tweed overcoat that I had to leave because it was just way too big (like a 48). How I wanted that bad boy to fit. My Goodwill must have hit a going-out-of-business sale at a formalwear place because there were tons of identical rental tux jackets there (with no pants). Oh yes, and a cool textured tie, black with a pattern of tan discs that look like records, made in Italy for Bernini Beverly Hills.

Then, Haines & Bonner and irregular Brooks Bros. ties at Marshalls, three pairs of sub-$50 NWT Zanella flat-front pants and a blue cashmere tie at N. Rack, and an Armani Jeans shirt and blue herringbone Pink shirt, both too small for me but bought for resale. A productive day, all told.

I don't know how some of you guys find such good deals at Nordstrom Rack. The cheapest pair of Zanella's I have seen were at the end of the season sale and they were still marked over $100. Same with the ties, $60 for a Canali? It is probably because of the enormous mall that is across the street (Curse the area I live).

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Quote:

I don't know how some of you guys find such good deals at Nordstrom Rack. The cheapest pair of Zanella's I have seen were at the end of the season sale and they were still marked over $100. Same with the ties, $60 for a Canali?  It is probably because of the enormous mall that is across the street (Curse the area I live).

N. Rack is a hit or miss store... mostly miss these days.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

N. Rack is a hit or miss store... mostly miss these days.

nature of the beast.. their shoe selection sucks balls as of late. :(

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lol actually i have a fine ass 26 year old asian gf calling my name for the last hour.

HOLY ****, FRENCHY, is that you?

(Good finds? Check. Argues incessantly? Check. Asian girlfriend in twenties, often quoted as *calling his name*, and for *X hours*? ding! ding! ding! )

HO4uW.png

cddUd.jpg

Ha-HA! Detective n00bizor has cracked the case!

Last edited:

valium

Reaction score
theres a difference between sour grapes and CONVICTIONS!!!!!!!!!! helloooooo convitions.
yes those are from 2003 and 2004 does that make it okay? all taht means the **** they are up to CURRENTLY just hasnt been exposed yet.
why do you keep defending a corrupt organization,do you work for them in some way maybe?
You wish.
I read the links. I read the bullshit Amazon thread from sour grapes pissed because they think GW charges too much for stuff (which may or may not be the case, but the money, at least, goes to a good cause and this is, after all, America) and yakking about GW getting money from the government, which, in fact, it should when it comes to landing grants for providing services to the disabled. If you don't like Medicaid, then ***** to your congressman for funding the program, not to GW for applying for grants. And don't forget that the vast majority of GW's money comes from thrift stores, not from the government. As I said earlier, you can look that up--every tax return for every GW chapter in the country is online. That's transparency, not a bunch of wipeasses talking **** because they can't buy Burberry from GW for fifty cents anymore.

valium

Reaction score
hmm dont know who frenchy is,you know theres more then one asian girl in her twenties though right?

HOLY ****, FRENCHY, is that you?
(Good finds? Check. Argues incessantly? Check. Asian girlfriend in twenties, often quoted as *calling his name*, and for *X hours*? ding! ding! ding! )
HO4uW.png

cddUd.jpg

Ha-HA! Detective n00bizor has cracked the case!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shhhhh....*busy conducting forensic prose analysis*.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics