The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valium

valium Senior member

and i dont get it ,what does november 2011 have to do with anything???

2. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

I am loving the updates from this thread!

Gotta run though, "26 yr azn gf callin muh name"

3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Is there anyway that you guys can argue, or whatever you re doing, in another thread? I am here to watch people brag about there 1980s Christian Dior Neck Ties ....... :thumbs-up:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. Loudscout

Loudscout Member

So to add a bit more fuel to the fire (on both sides I suppose) and also some cool finds if anyone is interested,I will interject my $.02.

GW does indeed have a for profit emphasis, in that they are trying to maximize their returns. This can be taken one of two ways. 10 they are missing the point of their mission statement which is "Goodwill Industries International enhances the dignity and quality of life of individuals, families and communities by eliminating barriers to opportunity and helping people in need reach their fullest potential through the power of work." by emphasizing profits over goodwill. Or 2) they are using said profits to bolster their mission statement. I have seen examples of both in different communities. It all depends on the management and how closely they are monitored.
    For example, I know of a few cases in the town where I live where individuals with disabilities were let go, because they did not work to the efficiency standards of the manager. These were individuals who met and exceeded the standards in other transitional employment settings. OTOH, I know of a GW that employs almost exclusively individuals who are on SSDI. Kudos to them.
    Also of note is the fact that most individuals on SSDI would be at a sever disadvantage if they were to obtain employment at anything other than minimum wage, or for extended periods of time. It is actually to the advantage of many of these individuals that they participate in "OTJ training" from somewhere like GW. They would be at risk of losing a guaranteed benefit if they did anything else. Take all of that with a grain of salt, and interpret as you wish. I do not know the corporate structure well enough to know if they funnel from more profitable stores to justify the employment of SSDI clients in areas that do not move the volume to be profitable.

On to my finds for the day.
    Oxxford (Owentsia) herringbone tweed SC in 40R. Tan with black and red windowpane. In good shape except for a small stitching issue in the lining. Some of the softest and heaviest tweed I have felt (probably some cashmere in there.) 19" shoulders, 43" chest, 25" sleeves, 30" BOC.

Also found an Izod Lacoste blazer in a similar size with patch pockets and gold alligator buttons. Both available. Let me know if anyone is interested in pictures. BTW these were both purchased at GW. :)

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Man--you are a piece of work. Next thing you know, Inspector Clouseau, you'll be arresting people for violating laws that haven't been passed yet. And no, I don't work for GW or any other thrift store. What's your excuse for being a sexist pig and an ignoramus??

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

What, who's arguing?
    :lurk::lurk::lurk:

I don't really care if GW makes a profit or what they decide to charge for select items. What bugs me (in my area -- not sure about others) is the impression people seem to have that their profits go towards charity. Because...they do not. This is why I prefer thrifting at my local Junior League, where the proceeds help the homeless and victims of domestic violence.

:slayer:

7. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Oh, lord. Another horse, another body of water. And the moon landing and Osama Bin Laden's death were both faked, too.

I'm done.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Hey, I said in my area... thought I was being diplomatic, lol.
    :butbut: :facepalm: :embar: :foo:

Goodnight, gentlemen!.
    - poof -
    :hide:

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Now THAT'S noobiz that I can ubiz! I just googled Junior League in my area and found a new place to scout! Thanks.

BTW...I passed a shopping center about a mile from my home yesterday and saw a sign announcing a new Goodwill opening there soon. I hope it's not just relocating from the one that's a few miles to the south.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Quote:
    Calling BrianPore to immediate attention on the shirt. Hurry up and ged it.

I hate traveling! Hope I'm not too late.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Just some semi-relevant and on topic fun. Careful, just a bit of language.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

^^^[​IMG]

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

14. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Is there anyway that you guys can argue, or whatever you re doing, in another thread? I am here to watch people brag about there 1980s Christian Dior Neck Ties

+1

Found an Armani Exchange linen shirt and a NWOT Hugo Boss (Boss Black) polo from Goodwill, yesterday.

And, yes, I know A/X is crap (it's not even Armani, really), but I liked the material and it fits me. ^^;

No pics since I'm keeping both.

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.