• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhead

Reaction score

Next is my other mystery. I found this great DB peak lapel sportcoat but there's no tags in it at all except the "Man in Wool" tag. There's not even a fabric content tag, although it says 100% wool on the "Man in Wool" tag... It feels really soft like a wool/cashmere blend though.

Only half lined and the construction of the seams seems really nice to me

It fits really well in the shoulders, chest, and sleeves and is just a bit tight around the belly, so I'm going to take it to the tailor. I really like it so I'm keeping it for myself, but any thoughts on where it came from would be appreciated. Maybe it's from HF's factory store since it's here in town? Dunno.

The "Man in Wool" label seems to come from a US company called John Peel Ltd, a now-defunct division of Target Licensing Corp

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got in from my daily lunch break thrift excursion. I found an interesting piece. It is an Vintage Oxxford for Abercrombie and Fitch Herringbone Tweed Topcoat. I didn't even know Oxxford ever made clothing for A&F, or that A&F actually carried high-end items from other makers. I estimate this is 70's or earlier. Super nice. I couldn't get a photo of it yet, but will post when I get home tonight. Does anyone know anything about this Oxxford / A&F phenomenon?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

T.J Maxx, I presume?

+1. I actually snagged a Brioni and a RLPL (unfortunately not 7 fold, but still) for $30 each at TJ's last week. They also had a slew of Versace, Dior and PRL monstrosities but I left well alone. Luckily the Brioni and RLPL are nice and conservative.

hmmurdock

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same phenomena with Marshalls/TJ Maxx.

Brioni's, Ferragamo's, Charvet, Versace <-rediculous prices on these

And this Drakes which may or may not join my collection...

Last edited:

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just got in from my daily lunch break thrift excursion. I found an interesting piece. It is an Vintage Oxxford for Abercrombie and Fitch Herringbone Tweed Topcoat. I didn't even know Oxxford ever made clothing for A&F, or that A&F actually carried high-end items from other makers. I estimate this is 70's or earlier. Super nice. I couldn't get a photo of it yet, but will post when I get home tonight. Does anyone know anything about this Oxxford / A&F phenomenon? 

I have some Oxxford / A&F pants that are gorgeous. Styling and tags are very classic, so they're tough to date, but I think they're 60s or early 70s.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I've got no evidence to support this but I have noticed an influx of nice merchandise at my locations starting a few weeks after Filene's/Syms filed for bankruptcy. Again, I have no insider knowledge to support the claim, but it feels like a lot of stuff I would normally find at my Filene's is now at my Marshall's/T.J. Maxx. Just some food for thought.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got no evidence to support this but I have noticed an influx of nice merchandise at my locations starting a few weeks after Filene's/Syms filed for bankruptcy. Again, I have no insider knowledge to support the claim, but it feels like a lot of stuff I would normally find at my Filene's is now at my Marshall's/T.J. Maxx. Just some food for thought.

I've noticed this as well. Just a couple days ago I got a beautiful silk&wool Faconnable tie @ TJs and yesterday saw silk and wool scarves by Dior, Givenchy, and Valentino and a bunch of RLPL in the men's section. Never saw **** like this at TJs before...must be coming from somewhere.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Just got in from my daily lunch break thrift excursion. I found an interesting piece. It is an Vintage Oxxford for Abercrombie and Fitch Herringbone Tweed Topcoat. I didn't even know Oxxford ever made clothing for A&F, or that A&F actually carried high-end items from other makers. I estimate this is 70's or earlier. Super nice. I couldn't get a photo of it yet, but will post when I get home tonight. Does anyone know anything about this Oxxford / A&F phenomenon?

Nice find. Don't really know anything about the relationship but someone will chime in I'm sure. There was actually talk about these Oxxford/A&F topcoat's 30-40?? pages back.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does everyone who's seeing this have one of those nearby? There used to be a Syms here but they shut down 5 years ago or so. May need to take a trip to Buffalo.

I was under the impression that a lot of the stuff by big name designers at Syms was really diffusion line stuff made for Syms though?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went at lunch... Spotted an Aquascutum glen check flannel suit, around a 38 or so... Unfortunately the lining is worn through in one spot and there was a little stain on one of the sleeves. I almost got it anyway since it was only $5, but oh well.

Also, anyone know about Harry Rosen? I saw a vintage 60's looking navy blazer tagged Harry Rosen. Very well built with pick stitching on the lapel, but I didn't know much about it.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to pass on a nice Brioni 1/4 zip thin sweater because of a huge run along one of the sleeves and some stains. :-(. I have a bad feeling that that was the leftovers from someone who beat me and snagged up a lot of other good stuff.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Does everyone who's seeing this have one of those nearby? There used to be a Syms here but they shut down 5 years ago or so. May need to take a trip to Buffalo.

I was under the impression that a lot of the stuff by big name designers at Syms was really diffusion line stuff made for Syms though?

Never seen anything worthwhile at a Syms. They are (were) the parent company of Filene's so when I mentioned the bankruptcy I included them. That said I would not spend time investigating Syms. Filene's was the only part of that family that had anything to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads