The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codhead

codhead Senior member

The "Man in Wool" label seems to come from a US company called John Peel Ltd, a now-defunct division of Target Licensing Corp

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

I see those tags in lots of makers jackets... I think it's just a 100% wool marker by some wool trade association.

It's this:

http://www.logodesignlove.com/woolmark-logo

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

+1.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just got in from my daily lunch break thrift excursion. I found an interesting piece. It is an Vintage Oxxford for Abercrombie and Fitch Herringbone Tweed Topcoat. I didn't even know Oxxford ever made clothing for A&F, or that A&F actually carried high-end items from other makers. I estimate this is 70's or earlier. Super nice. I couldn't get a photo of it yet, but will post when I get home tonight. Does anyone know anything about this Oxxford / A&F phenomenon?

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

+1. I actually snagged a Brioni and a RLPL (unfortunately not 7 fold, but still) for $30 each at TJ's last week. They also had a slew of Versace, Dior and PRL monstrosities but I left well alone. Luckily the Brioni and RLPL are nice and conservative.

6. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

I've been experiencing the same phenomena with Marshalls/TJ Maxx.

Brioni's, Ferragamo's, Charvet, Versace <-rediculous prices on these

And this Drakes which may or may not join my collection...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

7. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have some Oxxford / A&F pants that are gorgeous. Styling and tags are very classic, so they're tough to date, but I think they're 60s or early 70s.

8. bourbonbasted

I've got no evidence to support this but I have noticed an influx of nice merchandise at my locations starting a few weeks after Filene's/Syms filed for bankruptcy. Again, I have no insider knowledge to support the claim, but it feels like a lot of stuff I would normally find at my Filene's is now at my Marshall's/T.J. Maxx. Just some food for thought.

9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I've noticed this as well. Just a couple days ago I got a beautiful silk&wool Faconnable tie @ TJs and yesterday saw silk and wool scarves by Dior, Givenchy, and Valentino and a bunch of RLPL in the men's section. Never saw shit like this at TJs before...must be coming from somewhere.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Nice find. Don't really know anything about the relationship but someone will chime in I'm sure. There was actually talk about these Oxxford/A&F topcoat's 30-40?? pages back.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Does everyone who's seeing this have one of those nearby? There used to be a Syms here but they shut down 5 years ago or so. May need to take a trip to Buffalo.

I was under the impression that a lot of the stuff by big name designers at Syms was really diffusion line stuff made for Syms though?

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

I went at lunch... Spotted an Aquascutum glen check flannel suit, around a 38 or so... Unfortunately the lining is worn through in one spot and there was a little stain on one of the sleeves. I almost got it anyway since it was only $5, but oh well.

Also, anyone know about Harry Rosen? I saw a vintage 60's looking navy blazer tagged Harry Rosen. Very well built with pick stitching on the lapel, but I didn't know much about it.

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Had to pass on a nice Brioni 1/4 zip thin sweater because of a huge run along one of the sleeves and some stains. :-(. I have a bad feeling that that was the leftovers from someone who beat me and snagged up a lot of other good stuff.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks, I found the previous posts, I hadn't thought to search "A&F" rather than spelling it out.

15. bourbonbasted

Never seen anything worthwhile at a Syms. They are (were) the parent company of Filene's so when I mentioned the bankruptcy I included them. That said I would not spend time investigating Syms. Filene's was the only part of that family that had anything to offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.