The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

As promised, here are the photos of the Topcoat I found today. Super nice, just my size too! 44R with hidden button front, a button vent and velvet lined pockets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I wish Acecow followed this thread because I found an off white Lands' End Direct Merchandise, 15½ x 33, split yoke, button down cotton shirt IN TRIM FIT for $2 today! He'd be so jelly.

You may now return to discussion of T&A, Pink and PRL.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  3. BernieStevens

BernieStevens Senior member

Awesome. It's one of the reasons I love this site, community.

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

Wow! That is solid.

All this TJ Maxx talk...definitely heading there after my haircut tomorrow. See what pops up, if anything.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks, I think I will hit up TJ Maxx too. My wife goes there all the time,but I've never even been through the door.

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

The TJ Maxx here in the Nati has some higher end ties and shirts in over the summer. D&G and Valentino for the shirts and Versace, Robert Graham and a few others mentioned earlier. Personally is picked up a Zegna, Valentino, and a couple RG's once they hit the markdowns. I've also seen Armani. Sadly since this summer it seems like they have scaled back the ties. The one store has the "Runway" section, but it's all women's crap.

I feel WGP's pain on Cowtown having my wife working up there (WGP..we are staying in the Nati though). They really only have one good mens store. Here we Hunt Club which I love, and Blaine's which sells more of the trendier stuff. Stock's closed two years ago, but you will find stuff with their tags. Plus given the fact we have P&G here and people get transferred in from all over...you find an occaisional nugget.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

Only hit a couple stores today. Grabbed Zeppelin III lp, great condition, 45 cents. 30 year anniversary polo RL jacket, 5 bucks. Looks like it's worth about 35. Better than nothing

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Score on Zeppelin III? Is it an early pressing (Broadway address on the label)? I've got multiple copies of their first and fourth, but their second and third seem to the toughest to find, especially in nice shape.

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Just remember guys...side one of Zeppelin IV

11. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Do you mean "...when it comes to makin' out..."

12. mainy

mainy Senior member

Yeah, it's the 1970 w/ the 1841 broadway address. I was pretty happy to find it in this good of shape. I picked up a couple other classic rock records too, nothing worth anything more than a couple bucks though, just to listen to.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

The A&F Oxxford find is a true homerun find. If it fits you--and since it's not my size--don't ever let anyone talk you out of it. A&F was once a great company, and carried the best. Several of us have come across their Oxxford offerings.

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

+1. When you described it I wasn't so sure, but from the pictures it looks fantastic. Great find.

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Capnwes - I loooove that Oxxford for A&F overcoat! Is it one of those super-duper-heavy deals? I have a similar charcoal herringbone one - though not for A&F - that's dated 1957 and it's an absolute beast. Congrats! I think old Oxxford coats are really worthwhile, perhaps even more so than their older suits/sc's. If anyone ever finds a camel hair - or, heck, any outerwear from Oxxford at all - in any size 44 or up, let me know. ;) An Oxxford for A&F item of some sort is on my grail checklist, though not a very high priority.

As far as TJ Maxx - go ahead, check, doesn't hurt. The odds are exceedingly low, but when are they not? I will say that around here I don't think I've ever picked a single thing up at TJM/Marshalls - saw some Polo cashmere sweaters there last year but this year they don't even have that, just wool & cotton. Ah, well, focusing on other markets like everyone else I suppose.

jkidd, sorry to hear you're staying in the 'nati - though I'd be lying if I said i wanted more thrift competition around here with such slim pickings as it is! ;) We really need to get together one of these days and look at the stuff we're saving for each other!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.