• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1010772/width/350/height/467
Just got in from my daily lunch break thrift excursion. I found an interesting piece. It is an Vintage Oxxford for Abercrombie and Fitch Herringbone Tweed Topcoat. I didn't even know Oxxford ever made clothing for A&F, or that A&F actually carried high-end items from other makers. I estimate this is 70's or earlier. Super nice. I couldn't get a photo of it yet, but will post when I get home tonight. Does anyone know anything about this Oxxford / A&F phenomenon?

As promised, here are the photos of the Topcoat I found today. Super nice, just my size too! 44R with hidden button front, a button vent and velvet lined pockets.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish Acecow followed this thread because I found an off white Lands' End Direct Merchandise, 15½ x 33, split yoke, button down cotton shirt IN TRIM FIT for $2 today! He'd be so jelly.

You may now return to discussion of T&A, Pink and PRL.

Last edited:

BernieStevens

Reaction score

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The TJ Maxx here in the Nati has some higher end ties and shirts in over the summer. D&G and Valentino for the shirts and Versace, Robert Graham and a few others mentioned earlier. Personally is picked up a Zegna, Valentino, and a couple RG's once they hit the markdowns. I've also seen Armani. Sadly since this summer it seems like they have scaled back the ties. The one store has the "Runway" section, but it's all women's crap.

I feel WGP's pain on Cowtown having my wife working up there (WGP..we are staying in the Nati though). They really only have one good mens store. Here we Hunt Club which I love, and Blaine's which sells more of the trendier stuff. Stock's closed two years ago, but you will find stuff with their tags. Plus given the fact we have P&G here and people get transferred in from all over...you find an occaisional nugget.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just remember guys...side one of Zeppelin IV

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Score on Zeppelin III? Is it an early pressing (Broadway address on the label)? I've got multiple copies of their first and fourth, but their second and third seem to the toughest to find, especially in nice shape.

Yeah, it's the 1970 w/ the 1841 broadway address. I was pretty happy to find it in this good of shape. I picked up a couple other classic rock records too, nothing worth anything more than a couple bucks though, just to listen to.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score

http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1010772/width/350/height/467

As promised, here are the photos of the Topcoat I found today. Super nice, just my size too! 44R with hidden button front, a button vent and velvet lined pockets.

The A&F Oxxford find is a true homerun find. If it fits you--and since it's not my size--don't ever let anyone talk you out of it. A&F was once a great company, and carried the best. Several of us have come across their Oxxford offerings.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. When you described it I wasn't so sure, but from the pictures it looks fantastic. Great find.
The A&F Oxxford find is a true homerun find. If it fits you--and since it's not my size--don't ever let anyone talk you out of it.
A&F was once a great company, and carried the best. Several of us have come across their Oxxford offerings.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Capnwes - I loooove that Oxxford for A&F overcoat! Is it one of those super-duper-heavy deals? I have a similar charcoal herringbone one - though not for A&F - that's dated 1957 and it's an absolute beast. Congrats! I think old Oxxford coats are really worthwhile, perhaps even more so than their older suits/sc's. If anyone ever finds a camel hair - or, heck, any outerwear from Oxxford at all - in any size 44 or up, let me know. ;) An Oxxford for A&F item of some sort is on my grail checklist, though not a very high priority.

As far as TJ Maxx - go ahead, check, doesn't hurt. The odds are exceedingly low, but when are they not? I will say that around here I don't think I've ever picked a single thing up at TJM/Marshalls - saw some Polo cashmere sweaters there last year but this year they don't even have that, just wool & cotton. Ah, well, focusing on other markets like everyone else I suppose.

jkidd, sorry to hear you're staying in the 'nati - though I'd be lying if I said i wanted more thrift competition around here with such slim pickings as it is! ;) We really need to get together one of these days and look at the stuff we're saving for each other!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads