The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Harry Rosen is a upscale menswear store here in Canada. Items marked only as Harry Rosen are their house brand. It often is of pretty good quality, but sells for less than the designer labels that they sell in their stores. The majority of the stuff they sell is on the Canali, Armani, Burberry, Ferregamo, etc.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

Cool, thanks!

3. GHo

GHo Senior member

Cheers to you.. very nice.

4. GHo

GHo Senior member

that pig was on ebay, yes? I was watching/bidding and the owner took it down. would be happy to talk offline... ;)

5. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Shoot me a PM...I'm always open to offers.

6. catside

catside Senior member

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Just a data point... Hit up all four TJ Maxx in the local area today and found zilch. My theory is, the Filene's in Columbus was having things trucked in to it from elsewhere, and so now that it's gone, TJMaxx doesn't feel compelled to ship nice stuff into cowtown just because there was formerly a Filene's here. Ah, well.

At thrifts, I did find a pair of Bills M1 flat fronts in waist 38, a Burberry Brit polo and a Southern Tide polo to pay for my gas, at least. The nicest miss I saw was actually uncommonly nice for this area - a Zegna pure cashmere sweater... with no fewer than a dozen holes in it.

Man, what a waste of a day. :brick: Glad to see everyone else is having nice finds! :lol:

8. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

That theory would explain why the TJ Maxx here in Cheesetown doesn't have anything worth mentioning in it! Maybe that will save me the trouble of stopping there while running a couple of errands later tonight. Probably not though.

9. GHo

GHo Senior member

wanted to give mad props to Toby (horse's ass) for this Brioni jacket. kopped it for a very friendly price and it was at my doorstep in a couple days. unbelievably quick.

[​IMG]

Fit pick - i think it fits well. Not that the pigs in Des Moines will care anyway.

[​IMG]

Question for those in the know. I've never seen/touched/owned a jacket of this quality before. What is the "bubbling" below the bottom button? Is that normal? a sign of age? just wondering - doesn't look right to me.

[​IMG]

10. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Damn all of you with access to TJ Maxx with a good selection of ties, although I do hope to see some nice stuff hit the B&S soon!
    The selection at the Omaha TJ Maxx would rival the contents of TSB #2 :hide:

11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Ouch. Burn. :happy:

Yeah actually I have seen some amazing stuff lately, not just ties. I also have had some good fortune of finding stuff that seems to have been price tagged by someone who is not aware what they are handling. For instance I got my Brioni tie for $30. The Versace (with an atrocious pattern) lying next to it was $75. I also bought my dad a BC 100% cashmere sweater for $200. There was a Dolce and Gabbana half polyester disaster on the next rack for $350.

I might have to start doing some interest checks on the big tymer items I've found lately as well. The Marshall's the next street over from me has an impressive cache of Brioni rain jackets with cashmere lining for $900.

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I can vouch for this. I was there a week ago, they don't even carry PRL custom fit anymore :plain:

13. GHo

GHo Senior member

ditto that in Des Moines. Apparently that's where all the Michael Kors, Polo Association, and skinny Penguin (brand?) ties go to die. fok.:embar:

i did get a nice pink Brooks Brothers Makers tie there once. thought i found gold.

14. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Glad the jacket got there so quick.

As for the "bubbling," you're right, the fabric does seem to lay slightly awkwardly near the bottom of the jacket. The jacket is fully canvassed, so I think it may just be a product of how the jacket was folded for shipment. I'm guessing that this issue would be remedied by a drycleaning or steaming?

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

It was my pleasure ;)
    And thanks for your kind comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.