• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was on vacation with some of my friends in Tahoe, when my girlfriend decided we should leave a couple of days early. But my friends were staying so she gave me the choice of leaving with her or staying with them. Part of me wanted to stay, part of me knew I should go with her, so I left with her, but was going to drive back after. But when we got to her place, my thrifting senses were tingling. It was saying, "go home to San Francisco, thrift in San Franciscoooo, thrift in San Franciscooooo." So I was like, why the **** not. So I ditched my friends and my girlfriend and went home.

The first day back I decided to hit up an unusual spot.
There I found....nothing. Well, a Nicky's of Milano tie isn't nothing, but...meh. Did see a Arny's of Paris and a Sulka shirt as well as a pair of Acne jeans, but... I just didn't want them. Well the Arny's had paint on it and it was ancient.

The second place I decided to hit up was close, so I was like, why not?
There I found...don't hate me for this, but a Robert Graham shirt. Usually don't pick up, but it was quite normal looking and it was 2 bucks.
I also picked up a pretty sweet sports coat from Callisto Campora of Napoli. Never heard of them, but quite nice. Figured it was worth the 5 bucks.

Can anyone ID the maker?

The third place I hit up is a sweet spot. It always produces something good.
There I found...nothing.

Except a, BAM, Made in Italy Burberry sports coat.

And oh yeah, these:

I was fired up. My first day back I was like yeeeeeee, gonna hit up every store in SF. Then my dad called me home for dinner. I was sad, cause it would kill my luck. Oh yeah, saw a very recent with the heart Samuelsohn tweed here as well as a couple of Belvest and countless Zegna's.

Hoping my luck would ride over from last night, today I decided to head back out

First place I hit up is hit or miss. It's the biggest store in SF, but it's very popular so everyone passes through it.

I found nothing except for a Duncan Quinn shirt. Pretty sweet, it's tag actually reminds me of the Cucinelli makers tag.

Second place I hit up is a favorite. Always something good and not too crazily priced.
Hit the suit rack, see a recent Samuelsohn. I was like...meh, don't really want a Samuelsohn. However, next thing I see:

BAM, a very recent Brioni.

I saw alot of awesome stuff here, a RLBL shirt, a Dunhill shirt, a few super nice Zegnas and a lot of Thomas Mason J Crews. They were nice, but at 6 a peice, I was kind of ehh. Didn't really want to buy them, cause something was telling me I'd need the last 30 bucks I had in my wallet.

So I head over to the third store. This one is a big hit or miss, but usually has something that I want to buy, but it's at the borderline between too much for a item I'm not sure if someone on SF would want.

Go in, look around the leather jackets cause I've been looking for one. Looked at the first one and it was...

a London Fog. I was like whatevs, moved on to the second one. However, instead of a leather jacket, it was:

BAM, another very recent Brioni suit. IN MY SIZE. I was jizzing my pants. Even at 30 bucks, it was a Brioni that I could actually fit and wear and to top it off, it was recent, awesome flannel and just... nice. Pants are a wee tight, and the sleeves are short, but I think it's time I get a tailor and have them extended.

I wanted to keep going on, but my mom called and said I had dinner with my grandmama. SO MUCH RAGE. Hopefully my luck will carry over to tomorrow.

Oh yeah, errythang is fer sale/trade

Rayx, I have a three piece samuelsohn suit that has a ton of pick stitching and soft shoulders, I like it as much as a lot of my Isaia stuff. Especially this time of year, a tweed would do well on ebay or here on SF I would think. Obviously make sure the lapels are normal and that the shoulders are softer, but I always look for samuelsohn stuff :)

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
Rayx, I have a three piece samuelsohn suit that has a ton of pick stitching and soft shoulders, I like it as much as a lot of my Isaia stuff. Especially this time of year, a tweed would do well on ebay or here on SF I would think. Obviously make sure the lapels are normal and that the shoulders are softer, but I always look for samuelsohn stuff
smile.gif

I pick this up yesterday, it's a cashmere/wool. But a 40S, ugh

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's what I've been up to the last couple days. Yesterday I picked up some stuff that I need some help / feedback on. First the easy stuff:

TM Lewin, Thomas Pink, and Vineyard Vines shirts

Some Versace Jeans Couture jeans (these are real, right? Spoo?)

Next, a first for me and I don't think I've seen this in here before. A Lubiam suit... I've heard a lot of good things about LBM 1911 from Lubiam, but how desireable is something like this? Not sure if I should try to flip it or return it. I'm guessing it's around a 44-46 US.

Next is one of my mysteries for you guys. I found these pants... they seemed nice, had no belt loops, and had side adjusters, so I figured they were from a suit. I couldn't find anything on them that told the maker, though, until I looked at the metal of the slide clasp. It had the characteristic HF logo, so I figured I was looking for a HF coat... Here's what I found instead.

Anyone know anything about Giorgio Sant'Angelo? I mostly got it because it was an interesting mystery, and it'll go back on Tuesday unless anyone wants it at cost.

Next is my other mystery. I found this great DB peak lapel sportcoat but there's no tags in it at all except the "Man in Wool" tag. There's not even a fabric content tag, although it says 100% wool on the "Man in Wool" tag... It feels really soft like a wool/cashmere blend though.

Only half lined and the construction of the seams seems really nice to me

It fits really well in the shoulders, chest, and sleeves and is just a bit tight around the belly, so I'm going to take it to the tailor. I really like it so I'm keeping it for myself, but any thoughts on where it came from would be appreciated. Maybe it's from HF's factory store since it's here in town? Dunno.

I also got a pair of LL Bean boots w/ 3 eyelets, size 11E

Today I went to my favorite place and got there right as they opened. I'm thinking that was a good choice. I started at the shoes and got a pair of Florsheim Imperial longwings, size 6E. Maybe not that many guys with feet that small, but we'll see.

Next I went to the suits. Hickey Freeman... Hickey Freeman... Hickey Freeman... I think more than half were HF.

This one is a 42R that fits me very nicely and will be my spring / summer more casual suit

The rest of these are much too big and available

This one is a 46L and is the nicest of the black-tagged HF's I've found. The fabric is really nice and it's in great condition.

This one is a 46R and doesn't have the Hickey Freeman tag in it, but it is one... Probably from the factory store here in town. It feels very nice as well.

I also got a couple nice Sportcoats which don't fit me. One is a 48L Joseph Abboud Wool / Silk / Linen blend that feels and looks really nice, and the other is a HF in a nice pattern (44R)

Oh... and one other thing... an Oxxford size 44L (I think)

The one bit of damage is this seam in at the gorge is coming apart... Should be an easy fix

It's got cool accordion pockets behind the outside flap pockets:

After this I went to 3 other places and only found some little stuff for me that's not brag-worthy, but still a successful day. All of these are available except the khaki HF.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grendel...what's the. size on that TM Lewin sleeve wise? If you aren't keeping it I'd be interested.

MattR

Reaction score
Just realized I passed up about 3 pairs of Zanella pants the other day. Wasn't aware. Staple colors, too (brown/gray from what I remember). And I'm headed out of town tomorrow! :fu:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just realized I passed up about 3 pairs of Zanella pants the other day. Wasn't aware. Staple colors, too (brown/gray from what I remember). And I'm headed out of town tomorrow! :fu:

Don't sweat it. Zanellas are very common and most are triple or quadra-pleated.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a pair of Zanella plain front khakis yesterday. There appeared to be some stains on them so I passed. I've only ever found double pleats, which work fine for me.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't sweat it. Zanellas are very common and most are triple or quadra-pleated.

+ 1, been my observation.

I used to get Zanella flat front pants quite often paying north of $100 for them in discount / outlet stores. They always came with an MSRP of $325 or more. So question is: Are Zanella a high end brand or just mediocre garbage? They are frightfully common in thrift stores, for every Kirkland I see a Zanella.

The Zanella pairs I have are quite good quality, not too far off of the highly revered tailored brands. It seems like I answered my own question, but in context, I rarely see such fine Zanella's in thrift stores, so what gives and why the ugly pleats?

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+ 1, been my observation.
I used to get Zanella flat front pants quite often paying north of $100 for them in discount / outlet stores. They always came with an MSRP of $325 or more. So question is: Are Zanella a high end brand or just mediocre garbage? They are frightfully common in thrift stores, for every Kirkland I see a Zanella.
The Zanella pairs I have are quite good quality, not too far off of the highly revered tailored brands. It seems like I answered my own question, but in context, I rarely see such fine Zanella's in thrift stores, so what gives and why the ugly pleats?

I have found that double pleat zanella's will sell for $20-30 on Ebay assuming the size is decent, the inseam is long (at least 30"), and especially if they are khaki / tan. Also, make sure there is no sheen from wear / dry cleaning. Otherwise I typically don't pick them up unless they're cheap or like new, or one of their premium fabrics.

Ultimately I think they are nice pants. There are better pants out there with fancier details, but Zanella makes a pretty good daily driver. The ones with Loro Piana fabrics are nice. You see them so much because they are basically the default go-to nice dress pant for the business professional who is not a clothing fanatic. A sales person at our local high end department store told me he typically sells them 5-8 pairs at a time when they go on sale. A while back I picked up a pair of Zanella Sartoriale which appear to not be made any more. They are a step up the foodchain and more on par w/ Incotex.

I think you don't see the flat front ones because the guys that buy them (typically middle aged to older) prefer pleats. I've definitely found more flat fronts in the past 6 months than the past 2 years though.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Zanella is like Dockers for guys who shop at Saks, Nordstrom, and the other high end department stores.

MattR

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I had read on here they are pretty good quality. I was looking at them for myself, but I was unsure at the time. They may have been double pleated, which would be okay for my personal wear. Might have to stop in before leaving tomorrow, just to peak. Thrifting isn't so great where I'm headed, haha, so I might be jonesing if I'm out for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads