• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
debateclubnerdsayswhat

C57CA67F-88D3-49A8-B6CF-4E2B31D059B7.jpeg

eaeden

Reaction score
;)

Wow- I didn’t imagine you thinking of me in that way, but I’m flattered.

To speak to your substantive critique:

ive contributed— just a year or two ago stopped being active. As folks on this thread are wont to do, I’ll suggest you go back to the beginning and read all million posts to educate yourself (tongue in cheek— I hate when people make that suggestion— but it does show you that I’ve been here). Also, I’ve been thrifting clothes for three decades fwiw.

Pertaining to the original topic—all I did was ask a question— what are you doing to solve the problem— you guys ramped up the insults. So either you all have made this a toxic thread through your comments, or my question hit a sore spot, which implies that you’re growing. If thinking of me with my pants around my ankles helps you do that, im happy to contribute.

Why? This is a hill I’m willing to die on too— the worst conflicts are internal ones!

In all seriousness, you all seem usually seem like great people — not so much when you’re freaking out at me, but otherwise, yes — who want to make good things happen. I’m trying to echo what I thought @Pyrrhomaniac was writing: start chopping wood. Candidly, what if he and I are wrong, and you are right? Then you devote yourself to a righteous and failed cause. Way better than not. What if we are right? You did your part. It’s a no-lose situation

if you need to punch yourself out on me first, so be it

leisurewear

Reaction score
;)

ive contributed— just a year or two ago stopped being active. As folks on this thread are wont to do, I’ll suggest you go back to the beginning and read all million posts to educate yourself (tongue in cheek— I hate when people make that suggestion— but it does show you that I’ve been here). Also, I’ve been thrifting clothes for three decades fwiw.

Pertaining to the original topic—all I did was ask a question— what are you doing to solve the problem— you guys ramped up the insults. So either you all have made this a toxic thread through your comments, or my question hit a sore spot, which implies that you’re growing. If thinking of me with my pants around my ankles helps you do that, im happy to contribute.

Why? This is a hill I’m willing to die on too— the worst conflicts are internal ones!

In all seriousness, you all seem usually seem like great people — not so much when you’re freaking out at me, but otherwise, yes — who want to make good things happen. I’m trying to echo what I thought @Pyrrhomaniac was writing: start chopping wood. Candidly, what if he and I are wrong, and you are right? Then you devote yourself to a righteous and failed cause. Way better than not. What if we are right? You did your part. It’s a no-lose situation

you're missing the point. i actually agree with both of you guys 100% on the actual topic but chose not to add to the convo because it wasn't really going anywhere. i'm attacking you because you sound like an asshole. i would never attack someone because they disagree with an opinion i have. assholes, however, deserves to be attacked on an online forum

eaeden

Reaction score
Lol you didn’t read my whole post, because I was saying what you just wrote, more or less, while encouraging you and hopefully everyone else to take action.

That said, if my asking what someone is going to to do to solve a problem he’s going on about makes me an asshole, then perhaps you’re correct in thinking that taking action will be too tough.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
;)

all that happened was that I misunderstood where he was coming from. I thought he was denying the existence of systemic racism, white privilege, etc, and his definition of “real change,” which apparently he defines as making a difference to a handful of people in your community, while I was defining it as toppling some sort of national oppressive system like private, for-profit prisons. I took issue with his dismissing how easy change is, when yes, his definition has few obstacles, but what I had in mind has many obstacles. just a misunderstanding, that’s all.

Pyrrhomaniac

Reaction score
you're missing the point. i actually agree with both of you guys 100% on the actual topic but chose not to add to the convo because it wasn't really going anywhere. i'm attacking you because you sound like an asshole. i would never attack someone because they disagree with an opinion i have. assholes, however, deserves to be attacked on an online forum
In my defense, I was trying very hard to keep the topic directed and constructive, despite being up for over 36 hours. My personal motto: take the victories wherever you can, accept defeat only when you must. I encourage people to see the better parts of this world and life, it's not always sunshine and rainbows, but it seems unwise to watch the weather channel just to know it's raining *somewhere*. I enjoy feeling like I can and am making a positive difference, and feel that a lot of the arguments I hear are miscommunications, which is where I feel 330CK and I got to: a positive and mutual understanding of each other's position. I really like being part of this community, and try hard to remain civil despite civility and friendliness not being part of my core personality or initial response to hostility. I owe a lot of knowledge to you guys and even more laughs!

leisurewear

Reaction score
Lol you didn’t read my whole post, because I was saying what you just wrote, more or less, while encouraging you and hopefully everyone else to take action.

That said, if my asking what someone is going to to do to solve a problem he’s going on about makes me an asshole, then perhaps you’re correct in thinking that taking action will be too tough.

again, missing the point. Let’s break down the timeline between you and I:

- A few bros talking/debating about an issue
- me: have an opinion but just keeping it to myself
- bros have moved on, starting to post thrift stuff agaib
- you: some rando who hasn’t post in a year decides to jump back in and try to stir **** up
- me: asks who you are as I’m confused to who you are and why you’re trying to stir the pot
- you: gets offended, tells us who great of a person you are, asks me what I’m doing about the issue when I wasn’t even part of the original convo
- me: bro you sound like an asshole, gtfo
- you: you’re the reason why the world doesn’t change, blah blah blah, etc etc

leisurewear

Reaction score
In my defense, I was trying very hard to keep the topic directed and constructive, despite being up for over 36 hours. My personal motto: take the victories wherever you can, accept defeat only when you must. I encourage people to see the better parts of this world and life, it's not always sunshine and rainbows, but it seems unwise to watch the weather channel just to know it's raining *somewhere*. I enjoy feeling like I can and am making a positive difference, and feel that a lot of the arguments I hear are miscommunications, which is where I feel 330CK and I got to: a positive and mutual understanding of each other's position. I really like being part of this community, and try hard to remain civil despite civility and friendliness not being part of my core personality or initial response to hostility. I owe a lot of knowledge to you guys and even more laughs!

yeah exactly. Thats mainly the reason I took offense to some rando coming in with no context throwing **** around and putting words in people’s mouths

eaeden

Reaction score

“Nice, white people who really aren't doing anything other than being nice people are racist. We are complicit with that system. There is no neutral place.”

I’m cool with being a rando.

Pyrrhomaniac

Reaction score
yeah exactly. Thats mainly the reason I took offense to some rando coming in with no context throwing **** around and putting words in people’s mouths
I mean this with the best intentions, I hold grudges and I'm mean as hell when I think someone is trying to **** with me. So I've learned that I really just HAVE to remain agnostic with respect to intentions. Did someone speak down to me because they had a fight with their wife this morning and this is out of character? Are they just a bull in a china shop sort? Or is this a deliberate attempt to be ****** to me? I withhold answering the last question until the answer is unavoidable, then I spend wayyy too much energy and time stewing over it. But why even bother speculating or assuming intentions over asking simple clarifying questions? Most people are better people than I am, so it might not be such an investment for you to think "this person is mistreating me and stepping out of line." It's a big deal to me, but that's my cross to bear.

eaeden

Reaction score
Look, man, you are very much misreading my posts. Especially the npr link.

That said, I probably am an asshole by your definition. And I didn’t mean to harsh the thread, so I apologize for that.

however, I encourage you to do something - and if you already are doing something, I commend you

leisurewear

Reaction score
Look, man, you are very much misreading my posts. Especially the npr link.

That said, I probably am an asshole by your definition. And I didn’t mean to harsh the thread, so I apologize for that.

however, I encourage you to do something - and if you already are doing something, I commend you

Yeah I realize I probably misunderstood which I apologize for. Your super serious response while putting a bunch of words in my mouth to my sarcastic way of saying “dude we moved on, just drop it” kind of just set me off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads