• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK fellas, just picked up the Kiton today, I'm sure you are all dying for details (not really), but I thought I'd make good on my promise for more pics anyways. FWIW I dialed the original retailer of this particular sports jacket (Harry Rosen) and gave them the SKU because the tag was attached, just hidden away in the sleeve. Guess what? Not only did I know when it was sold (2 weeks ago at their Kiton trunk show), but that it was a special order and the $10,500 price tag is legitimate. I am waiting for confirmation from Kiton regarding composition, but I'm presuming fairly good percentage (of vicuña).
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
So yeah, without adieu here are the pics, first of the Kiton trunk show (Bloor Street store in downtown TO, scroll down: http://www.harryrosen.com/store-events): Proof I won it for $253 plus tax:
HOLY. MOTHER. OF. GOD.

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

honesty it looks a lot like the style of Maurice Utrillo (a Montmartre native and contemporary with cubists but perhaps not altogether cubism). google some of his images you'll see what i mean (i often see utrillo prints fwiw)

so one thought is that it could be 'after Utrillo' or some such. the problem with that is that the house was demolished during wwi, so if it is a newer work based on an older work what is the original? 

so i'm not trying to say one way or the other, but that's how i start to think about this kind of research. good luck!

Yeah i looked at his stuff.sometbing doesnt make sense though.
If the house was destroyed WW1 how can this be painted after by Utrillo.anyway thanks
I'm gonna send out a few emails see what's up.

Tradvocate

Reaction score
Long time with no posts. I had a pretty good day. Stopped at a place I rarely go to and had some luck. Meat and potatoes first then some interesting things. (most things available though being sent off to @Snoogz very soon)

PRL suit 42R

PRL 41L

PRL 42R

PRL 42L

PRL 42 L

Burberry dark green plaid

Carroll & Co. POW

Brioni Super 150s

Incotex Brown cords

Loro Piana thick cotton houndstooth

LP dad jeans

Kick ass recent Oxxford Clothes Trousers

Two pairs of Luciano Barbera trousers

Linen PRL

Sulka Wool and Cash Flannel

This was like desert:

Silk Belvest Tux

Minty waxed cotton Barbour. Intense hardwear on this thing

Cashmere and Wool EZ tie

Basketweave Charvet

Then this happened: Very recent and minty grey three piece RLPL (made in Italy) with peak lapels. Working cuffs and fits me like a glove. Sorry for the crummy picture because this thing is sick. Definitely not available. Who donates these things?

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of recent ethrifts, both thrift funded, of course!

Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet (purchased from a dealer in Germany, and delivered cheaper than anywhere else I could find it).

Filson Scout Watch with Horween Leather strap (purchased at significant discount from Sierra Trading Post);

Last edited:

Chotii

Reaction score
A mini saga:

I went to local thrift and picked up what should have been Micky Sharpz 000 Iron T Dial and 000X Iron Micro Dial tattoo machines. At least, that was what the (authentic) boxes said. and they were priced what you'd expect for those. Got them home and took a better look....and they were $10-15 pieces of Chinese crap that didn't look ANYTHING like Sharpz items. Nothing.

They were also 'No Exchange'. Fortunately, one of the managers at the place has known me for years and let me do an exchange (they never do cash refunds; c'est la vie. So I had to try to find >$250 worth of things to buy in a store I'd already combed through 3 days earlier.

Will take pictures tomorrow when I'm more awake. Lots of stuff. I may never get through the winter stuff I have piled up. Some gorgeous men's stuff. Some gorgeous women's stuff too. Just way too frucking much of it.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Confucius say :

buy records like nataku
buy teak like frenchy
buy artwork like mr moo and 330ck
buy stuff that fits you like eazye
complain about UK selection like purple label
make your mannequins look like wes
make the face leisurewear made when he found kiton
be as helpful as 1ofthecoolkids
post insight to a far away land like thriftvader
e-thrift like cj52racers and kbadgley84
buy hawaiian shirts like fueco
never post bare feet
be as witty as drlivingston
buy sneakers like bahjls
buy vintage like playdice

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy catching up on other things since returning the epic road trip a few nights ago.

I'm honored to be in that sage bit of [no doubt whisky inspired] wisdom... Thanks Spooseph!

I want to thank everyone who has reached out to me in the past month or so offer words of support. It means a lot to know that people are thinking about us.

But yeah, road tripping... We made it to 11 US states as well as 4 Canadian provinces and one territory. The new ones for me were Yukon, Alaska, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

1. Seeing the Aurora Borealis from near Banff, Alberta (according to the Greenland Eskimo tradition, the northern lights are the spirits of children who died at birth dancing in the sky).
2. Seeing Kluane National Park in Yukon Territory. That place had a vastness and sheer wildness that really appealed to me. Add in that the entire Territory has some 50,000 residents, and you know you're in a remote place. I felt like I was hiking through an episode of Marty Stouffer's Wild America!
3. Seeing all the wildlife... Highlights were: Canadian Lynx, Grizzly Bears, Moose, Caribou, Elk, Bald Eagle (I've seen a lot of these, but seeing one swoop across the road in front of me was pretty cool)
4. Spending time with friends and family along the way. We stayed with friends in Arcata, CA; Everett, WA; Penticton, BC. We stayed with family in Nordegg, Alberta and Fargo, ND.
5. We spread some of Daniel's ashes along with those of his grandfather at a spot on Corkscrew Mountain in the foothills of the Alberta Rockies. My wife's dad worked in logging there when he was a teenager in the early 1940s.

Here are a few selected pictures from along the way:

Along the Bow River, near Banff, Alberta

Crazy Horse Monument (South Dakota)

Bison (Custer State Park, South Dakota)

Denali National Park

Grizzly Bear (along the Alaska Highway in northern British Columbia)

Along the Icefields Parkway (Banff National Park, Alberta)

Bull Elk at Edith Lake, Jasper National Park, Alberta

Kluane National Park (Yukon, Canada)

Liard Hot Springs (northern British Columbia)

Aurora Borealis from near Banff, Alberta

Above Skagway, Alaska

Walking around Wye Lake (Watson Lake, Yukon)

GetBlatzed

Reaction score
Yet another pair of bean boots. First ones I've found with the dark leather. Like the look a lot more than the regular light leather ones. Too bad these are a size too small for me (9N)

And certainly couldn't leave these behind for a buck each.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a few pair of shoes tonight. I haven't had much time to thrift lately but it amazes me what I'm still able to find at 8 or 9pm. Makes me wonder what I missed out on during the day, haha.

Couple pair of AE. Strand and not sure on the lighter colored (walnut?) model's name. Googled and even looked through the AE appreciation thread and didn't find it yet. Anyone know off hand? They appear new but with something spilled on them, hoping to learn how to save them but am assuming it involves just darkening them. Vibram heels and soles.
Also these anonymous woven penny loafers. Seem decently made, but only markings visible don't help me out much. Will be researching more tomorrow to identify both pairs.

Last edited:

rhz5001

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy catching up on other things since returning the epic road trip a few nights ago.

I'm honored to be in that sage bit of [no doubt whisky inspired] wisdom... Thanks Spooseph!

I want to thank everyone who has reached out to me in the past month or so offer words of support. It means a lot to know that people are thinking about us.

But yeah, road tripping... We made it to 11 US states as well as 4 Canadian provinces and one territory. The new ones for me were Yukon, Alaska, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

1. Seeing the Aurora Borealis from near Banff, Alberta (according to the Greenland Eskimo tradition, the northern lights are the spirits of children who died at birth dancing in the sky).
2. Seeing Kluane National Park in Yukon Territory. That place had a vastness and sheer wildness that really appealed to me. Add in that the entire Territory has some 50,000 residents, and you know you're in a remote place. I felt like I was hiking through an episode of Marty Stouffer's Wild America!
3. Seeing all the wildlife... Highlights were: Canadian Lynx, Grizzly Bears, Moose, Caribou, Elk, Bald Eagle (I've seen a lot of these, but seeing one swoop across the road in front of me was pretty cool)
4. Spending time with friends and family along the way. We stayed with friends in Arcata, CA; Everett, WA; Penticton, BC. We stayed with family in Nordegg, Alberta and Fargo, ND.
5. We spread some of Daniel's ashes along with those of his grandfather at a spot on Corkscrew Mountain in the foothills of the Alberta Rockies. My wife's dad worked in logging there when he was a teenager in the early 1940s.

Here are a few selected pictures from along the way:

Along the Bow River, near Banff, Alberta

Crazy Horse Monument (South Dakota)

Bison (Custer State Park, South Dakota)

Denali National Park

Grizzly Bear (along the Alaska Highway in northern British Columbia)

Along the Icefields Parkway (Banff National Park, Alberta)

Bull Elk at Edith Lake, Jasper National Park, Alberta

Kluane National Park (Yukon, Canada)

Liard Hot Springs (northern British Columbia)

Above Skagway, Alaska

Walking around Wye Lake (Watson Lake, Yukon)

I PM'd you but I'm adding anyway. Your pictures are way better. I'm an amateur with the camera.

Near Anchorage

View of Denali near talkeetna

Chena Hot Springs Resort

Near Kesugi Ridge public use cabin

Last edited:

Tom Pepper

Reaction score
Semi-thrift related because some of the personal pick-ups need tailoring, is there a rule of thumb for shortening sleeves on dress shirts, as in how far you can go or does it not matter ? I ask because I have read conflicting info on the interwebs and was curious what people here thought. Any insight would be appreciated .

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a downer but I think with a $10k price tag I would guess it's a fairly low percentage of vincuna. Still a baller jacket don't get me wrong.
YSL Rive Gauche Ethrift came, perfect fit.'way cooler than I was expecting. Asymmetrical zip and had moto style zippers in sleeves. Keeper

Not a downer, just speaking the truth, nothing wrong in that, also perhaps doing some favors, allowing people to take a seat and catch the breath, relax, cuz that **** ain't Jesus coming back as a ******* Kiton, not close. The words you share are the truth. If retail price was tagged at 10.5K then there is zero shot that jacket is anymore than 10% Vicuna tops, most likely 7%. These percentages of a fiber, specifically that extremely rare protein fiber, is a total ******* Scam. The fact that I happen to personally own a Kiton cash with a low percent of Cuna allows me to say without question, that these jackets are 100% in no way, noticeably different than a classic Kiton cash. However it does allow for Kiton to charge 4.5K more per jacket by doing it...."if it makes dollars it makes sense" - Dj Quik.

Last edited:

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sleeve shortening and cost will depend on if the placket needs to be moved or not. If theres a long placket (usually with a writst button) you can have the shortnened and lose the button
which is the cheapest option. If this has already been done and still needs to be shortened or you want to keep the button option its usually double the price. Locally this varies but
expect to look at $15-$30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads