• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixx

Reaction score
So here's something I thought you guys might enjoy. Some of you may know that I've been working at a tailoring shop since last year, and one of my jobs is to go through the fabric swatch books and cut out all the old and out of stock goods. Sometimes we get rid of entire books, and so the whole time I've been hoarding them to use as future quilt squares. I've probably got a couple thousand at this point. I also get to take home the left over scraps from the garments we make. This is all top of the line ****, Loro Piana, Holland & Sherry, Zegna, Ariston, Scabal, etc. For Christmas this year, I made my mom my first quilt. The back is made from Scabal flannel pieces and the top is all super high end suiting swatches.
View attachment 899215 View attachment 899216 View attachment 899217 View attachment 899218 View attachment 899219 View attachment 899220 View attachment 899223 View attachment 899224 View attachment 899225
View attachment 899226
Next one is going to be full Loro Piana cashmere. Now that I've made on, I'm going to try a pattern like this...
View attachment 899231
Or like this....
View attachment 899232
And possibly some scarfs and stuff.

Thats so awesome - I'm working on similar with some of my old clothes, I may reach out to pick your brain :)

Newer skill for me, im better with furniture / exotic woods

Love the final results

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@eazye those are incredible. That blue/grey/beige one is great!

Took an early morning run to the store in the nearby beach town/port. Sorry for the messy pics

Lulu
20171229_145725.jpg

Paul smith
20171229_145555.jpg

Finally found a suit that fits me. No labels (so from some tailor somewhere) but nice wool flannel fabric and pattern, full canvased and solid stitching and handwork
20171229_150024.jpg

Orphan but works as a sc I think
20171229_145836.jpg

20171229_145912.jpg

Wish this suit fit me ....
20171229_150422~2.jpg

20171229_150534.jpg

Hope you all have a happy and safe New Year's Eve!

John

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@eazye those are incredible. That blue/grey/beige one is great!

Took an early morning run to the store in the nearby beach town/port. Sorry for the messy pics

Lulu
View attachment 899233

Paul smith
View attachment 899235

Finally found a suit that fits me. No labels (so from some tailor somewhere) but nice wool flannel fabric and pattern, full canvased and solid stitching and handwork
View attachment 899238

Orphan but works as a sc I think
View attachment 899240
View attachment 899241

Wish this suit fit me ....
View attachment 899242
View attachment 899243

Hope you all have a happy and safe New Year's Eve!

John

Jammy bastid.

Vixx

Reaction score
Those are pretty sick! I little too rock and roll for me, but cool nonetheless.

As a fan - It's hard, at first, to align your early musical career with finer men's clothing and quilting - but you've grown so much sense the 80s

Glad to hear the stories of your death were just rumor

Biggie will love that quilt (make sure it's a king) and hit up 2pac for any hand stitching - If you think his lyrics are fire, you should see his pick stitch....

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RETRACTION: Earlier this week, portions of a Xmas gift were mistakenly identified as ‘snakeskin’. Subsequent research (and common sense) have revealed the material to be lizard. We regret the error.
I was going to say something but I looked in a mirror and well some of you know the rest.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that place still around? When I started on SF, the NYC crowd was pulling some killer stuff from there for cheap.

Short answer: no.

It first started in 1909 in the basement of, you guessed it, Filene's which opened in 1881 in Boston. Downtown Boston has been going through a ton of redevelopment and they ended up doing a major renovation to the Filene's building in 2007 which shut the original basement. I still remember their closing sale.

:cool2:

12filenes-span-jumbo.jpg Filene's Window circa late 1940's(from Michael).jpg Filene's basement 1949.jpg Filene's 1950 Washington and Franklin Streets(from Michael).jpg c4b53e547ae0be8f_large.jpg Filene's Basement 1960's.JPG TimelessNEFilenesBasmt.jpg

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone really liked this style (bib?) of T&A shirt:

View attachment 899149
View attachment 899148

13 in total... 7 had bad stains or rips though so only copped 6.

Reminds me of the time I saw a clutch of lovely T&A shirts at an op shop. All size 20, so perfect for re-donating to a charity that I support. Each and every one had the price tag punched through the collar point. Pharque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8