• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrong Crowd

Reaction score
Hit my regular weekend stop today and found some unusually good stuff. Kind of surprising considering I left it until Sunday.

Pop on van Laack:

I love the three-hole buttons. Here's a close-up of a couple, along with the sleeve embroidery:

It's rare for me to find a shirt that fits in the body and has long enough sleeves for my lanky-ass arms. Thrift fit with a pair of Incotex:

Pop on Michael Bastian:

Never heard of this brand before- Colman and Watson- shirt is made in Ireland and listed as a size 3. At $8, and with a nice Seattle-appropriate pattern, I figured what the hell.

Pop on Massimo Bizzocchi:

34 x 32 Canali corduroys. Not sure why it looks like there's a stain on the leg, there's no stain:

Barney's house label tie. Content tag has another tag under it that says hand made in Italy (couldn't get a clear pic). Google searching leads me to tentatively conclue that this was made by Piattelli back when their quality was better.

Pop on ancient madder, I think. This is just an ancient tie in general- it just feels old, and it's significantly heavier and thicker than any of my other Brooks Brothers ties.

Here's a better picture of the print and texture.

And, on the other end of the spectrum, here's a more modern Brooks Brothers tie that would be perfect to wear to pick your kid up from school if you needed to make absolutely certain that they were incredibly embarrassed by you.

Rounding out the ties, I actually bought this one last week but never got around to posting it. Dior is so weird- they make some gorgeous ties, but then I've also seen some horrible thinly striped polyester skinny ties with a tacky "Dior" at the bottom of the big blade.

Pop on Seize sur Vingt. Or maybe pop isn't the right word to use when I'd never heard of them before today.

I figure it was donated by the same person who donated the van Laack as it fits me perfectly. Thift fit with the same pair of Incotex:

More details on the Incotex: Flat front venezia 1951 Super 130s

thebuddahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jeremy scott errything

From my thousands of miles away I like to imagine you rock up to the LuxeSwap store in this and just give directions from a thrifted throne in the middle of the shop floor.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
Found this at goodwill over the weekend.

Kinda bland but I'm thinking of getting some camo fabric that pairs well with it and sowing it onto the collar and straps. Also maybe lining the inside with something a bit warm sturdy to make it a light fall jacket.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Wrong Crowd, you've got it wrong on the dates of those Brooks Brothers ties. The paisley one is newer, the other one is the older tag.

Wrong Crowd

Reaction score
Found this at goodwill over the weekend.

Kinda bland but I'm thinking of getting some camo fabric that pairs well with it and sowing it onto the collar and straps. Also maybe lining the inside with something a bit warm sturdy to make it a light fall jacket.

Looks like my old Coast Guard ODU blouses, except it must predate me as I never had an ODU blouse with epaulets.

Americanaaa

Reaction score
Looks like my old Coast Guard ODU blouses, except it must predate me as I never had an ODU blouse with epaulets.
The stock number for this item says the style was registered in 1979. I don't have the first clue how the military categorizes and labels surplus. It doesn't look old or roughly used but some patches were removed from it.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about surveying instruments? I picked this up yesterday, no makers stamp, and it's really heavy for its size. Very well made too. Sorry for the Ipotato pic.

Last edited:

Lirum

Reaction score
Pop on ancient madder, I think. This is just an ancient tie in general- it just feels old, and it's significantly heavier and thicker than any of my other Brooks Brothers ties.

Here's a better picture of the print and texture.

And, on the other end of the spectrum, here's a more modern Brooks Brothers tie that would be perfect to wear to pick your kid up from school if you needed to make absolutely certain that they were incredibly embarrassed by you.

Like eazye mentioned, the label with "Brooks Brothers" in script is newer. IIRC, it's the second newest tie label. Newest ones have Script with "Makers & Merchants" below. That pattern looks textbook for Ancient Madder fabric, which feels chalky against your hand.

Last edited:

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night, I dreamt that I went to the LuxeSwap store. In the dream it turned out that Spoo was actually Freddie Prinze Jr. and he told me that he would never in a million years wear used clothing. All of the employees were like 1-2 foot tall imps and rode around motorized carts, yelling at people to get out of their way. It was ******* awesome.

Wrong Crowd

Reaction score
Like eazye mentioned, the label with "Brooks Brothers" in script is newer. IIRC, it's the second newest tie label. Newest ones have Script with "Makers & Merchants" below. That pattern looks textbook for Ancient Madder fabric, which feels chalky against your hand.

It does feel chalky! I thought that might be because of the age of the silk, it never occurred to me that it might be a property of the dye. Thanks for your help, I am always blown away by the amount of knowledge on this forum.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read that you cannot get "true" ancient madder anymore because one or more of the original dyes used was found to be toxic. The only way to get the real deal is to go with vintage.

Wrong Crowd

Reaction score
Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read that you cannot get "true" ancient madder anymore because one or more of the original dyes used was found to be toxic. The only way to get the real deal is to go with vintage.

I just did a little reading up as a result of this thread and I found an AAAC thread where someone was saying that they used to use lime to roughen the silk in order to get the hand feel and dye adherence they wanted. Lime has since been banned, so I guess they found other ways to treat the silk- as it sounds like it was more of a physical process than a chemical one, I imagine modern ancient madder is quite similar to the lime-based variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads