• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

benhour

Reaction score
I just noticed this stain and have no idea what to do about it. Any thoughts?
It looks like an oil stain that spread through the brogue hole ! Let it rest for a while and if it doesnt get any lighter then use a 1/3 white distilled vinegar/water solution (just add a tiny drop in the brogue hole)!! then polish as usual and hopefully it ll get lighter or disappear

bigL84

Reaction score
I did a mirror shine on a new pair of C&J's and after one day there is some creasing/cracking towards the edge of the cap toe, particularly on the right shoe. Is it possible to fix this easily? I was thinking of applying some renomat to pull off the wax where the cracks occurred and then just polish up with some cream.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recommendations on quality cobblers who will take shoes shipped to them? Would like to replace sole but cork bed too. Anywhere in the continental US.

If you want arguably the best, Bedo’s in Va.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a mirror shine on a new pair of C&J's and after one day there is some creasing/cracking towards the edge of the cap toe, particularly on the right shoe. Is it possible to fix this easily? I was thinking of applying some renomat to pull off the wax where the cracks occurred and then just polish up with some cream.

View attachment 1187605

The mirror shine will always crack where ever ur shoe flexes. The best practice to follow is to avoid applying mirror shine to such areas in the future.

For now u can use something like a renomat to remove the polish. U can then use one or two coats of polish

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
44D64737-5AB6-4EBB-AB9D-0F786B729EB2.jpeg

So I slipped and fell on a wet piece of flat lumber on the sidewalk in NYC (placed under scaffolding). This left what I suspect is a dirt stain. I tried Bick4 and while that removed some of the muck, it didn’t remove the stain. Any other thoughts on how to clean this?

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Is it possible to "re-wax" a pair of C&J Roughout suede boots? When new, the boots were nearly black with the green suede just showing through in patches. Now, most of the waxy stuff has gone.

I have tried Saphr greasy leather cream, but it doesnt give the same appearance.

Is it straight shoe wax the right stuff to use? Does roughout have a hot filled process like Chromexcel, or is it just a wax painted on after forming the shoe?

Raimar

Reaction score
Recently obtained a pair of second hand "black" Mezlan Antolini shoes. They looked in good condition but uncared for. They are one size too big for me, so decided to use them to experiment and try to get to them to like new status. Started by using saddle soap to clean and remove wax. This revealed that the shoe was originally brown. I felt the saddle soap wasn't removing all the wax so started using 91% alcohol on one. It looks like I got overenthusiastic with the alcohol and I ended up removing the original brown dye. Would it be possible to use acetone or more alcohol to keep removing the original dye and try to make them into a lighter brown (with fiebings light brown/tan dye)? Like the ones in the bottom picture. Or should i just go ahead and get them back to original chocolate brown? Thanks for your suggestions.

IMG_6364.jpg IMG_6365.jpg IMG_6366.jpg 9c0515cf-7065-496d-8b1b-01ed7c913f2a.jpeg

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to "re-wax" a pair of C&J Roughout suede boots? When new, the boots were nearly black with the green suede just showing through in patches. Now, most of the waxy stuff has gone.

I have tried Saphr greasy leather cream, but it doesnt give the same appearance.

Is it straight shoe wax the right stuff to use? Does roughout have a hot filled process like Chromexcel, or is it just a wax painted on after forming the shoe?

I'm fairly sure it is but not sure what the right product is.

I would recommend contacting C&J, they are usually good at answering queries.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1188183

So I slipped and fell on a wet piece of flat lumber on the sidewalk in NYC (placed under scaffolding). This left what I suspect is a dirt stain. I tried Bick4 and while that removed some of the muck, it didn’t remove the stain. Any other thoughts on how to clean this?

use a leather cleaner. maybe saddle soap or any other type of cleaning product..

that should help more than bick 4

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently obtained a pair of second hand "black" Mezlan Antolini shoes. They looked in good condition but uncared for. They are one size too big for me, so decided to use them to experiment and try to get to them to like new status. Started by using saddle soap to clean and remove wax. This revealed that the shoe was originally brown. I felt the saddle soap wasn't removing all the wax so started using 91% alcohol on one. It looks like I got overenthusiastic with the alcohol and I ended up removing the original brown dye. Would it be possible to use acetone or more alcohol to keep removing the original dye and try to make them into a lighter brown (with fiebings light brown/tan dye)? Like the ones in the bottom picture. Or should i just go ahead and get them back to original chocolate brown? Thanks for your suggestions. View attachment 1191380 View attachment 1191381 View attachment 1191382 View attachment 1191383

View attachment 1191380 View attachment 1191381 View attachment 1191382 View attachment 1191383

it totally depends on u. the more acetone u use, the more dye u will remove..

u can strip the entire dye and decide. if u wanna go medium brown, u can use a medium brown cream.

if u wanna go dark.. u can always go dark brown.

but, my input will be to go dark brown.. will look a bit more even

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Recently obtained a pair of second hand "black" Mezlan Antolini shoes. They looked in good condition but uncared for. They are one size too big for me, so decided to use them to experiment and try to get to them to like new status. Started by using saddle soap to clean and remove wax. This revealed that the shoe was originally brown. I felt the saddle soap wasn't removing all the wax so started using 91% alcohol on one. It looks like I got overenthusiastic with the alcohol and I ended up removing the original brown dye. Would it be possible to use acetone or more alcohol to keep removing the original dye and try to make them into a lighter brown (with fiebings light brown/tan dye)? Like the ones in the bottom picture. Or should i just go ahead and get them back to original chocolate brown? Thanks for your suggestions.
What a great experiment! You probably already know this, but removing dye with acetone is a little easier if you use cotton wool balls instead of a cloth. And the acetone solution in nail polish remover is usually quite weak. You can buy a much stronger solution from a chemicals supply company on ebay. As for the shade of brown, a lighter one will be harder to maintain...you could easily ruin many hours of work just with an accidental stain, as you can see from the many people with tan shoes asking for stain removal help in this thread.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure it is but not sure what the right product is.

I would recommend contacting C&J, they are usually good at answering queries.
EnglishShoes, please let us know what C&J say. I'd be very interested because I have two pairs of waxed roughout boots.

If you want face to face advice you could call in at the 92 Jermyn Street branch - there's a very helpful patina artist called Bismarck who works on shoes right there at the front of the shop. He's a mine of information.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads