• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

starro

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the two above me are tongue in cheek or in earnest. But washing polish cloth with the rest of laundry runs the risk of transferring the colored polish to your clothes. Not washing it at all leaves a dry hardened mess. Just soak in soapy water, scrub, rinse, dry. Simple.

I also don't know what's the point of buying fancy cloths for just applying the polish. Any rag will do, so why spend $$ on it?

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the two above me are tongue in cheek or in earnest. But washing polish cloth with the rest of laundry runs the risk of transferring the colored polish to your clothes. Not washing it at all leaves a dry hardened mess. Just soak in soapy water, scrub, rinse, dry. Simple.

I also don't know what's the point of buying fancy clothes for just applying the polish. Any rag will do, so why spend $$ on it?

I really do wash my cloths in the washing machine. Obviously, they don't go in with clothes. It works well and one company, who make cotton shoe cloths, Selvyt, say that washing their cloths make them 'better than new'. I have quite a few cloths, so I use the washing machine only when I have a reasonable bundle of them. Washed in this way, no colour is left in the machine.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the general recommendation is "don't wash it" - keep different cloths for different colors and just run 'em.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Why would you want to use the old, dried up polish (mostly wax now since the solvents have evaporated) built up into the cloth rather than a clean part of the cloth? I've read numerous times people saying the same thing about horsehair brushes and the need for "wax and old polish to build up in the brush." Makes no sense--just makes the brush harder and stickier and harder to build a soft shine. The same people have probably never washed their dauber brushes with soap and water to clean the bristles, make them soft again, and adequately spread polish around.

TL;DR, wash your dauber brushes frequently, polishing cloths occasionally, and polishing brushes regularly.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Why would you want to use the old, dried up polish (mostly wax now since the solvents have evaporated) built up into the cloth rather than a clean part of the cloth? I've read numerous times people saying the same thing about horsehair brushes and the need for "wax and old polish to build up in the brush." Makes no sense--just makes the brush harder and stickier and harder to build a soft shine. The same people have probably never washed their dauber brushes with soap and water to clean the bristles, make them soft again, and adequately spread polish around.

TL;DR, wash your dauber brushes frequently, polishing cloths occasionally, and polishing brushes regularly.

I suspect that, in the end, all that really matters is that you clean and brush your shoes, regularly. What you use to do that, is not particularly critical.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the picture of my shoes was used on the front page directing people to this thread, I thought I should give an update.
I used some cordovan cream, which helped a little. I think this is as close as I'm going to get to getting them to match.

IMG_0340.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of used AE MacNeil burgundy cordovans.

Do you guys recommend AE's own cordovan cream? Or Saphir's? Also, worth investing in the deer bone?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of used AE MacNeil burgundy cordovans.

Do you guys recommend AE's own cordovan cream? Or Saphir's? Also, worth investing in the deer bone?
AE recommends their shoe cream for their shoes.
Nick Horween recommends VSC.
I think either is fine.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jc848

Reaction score
I recently used saphir renomat on a pair of shoes and stripped the dye by accident on the toe area. I've since been able to restore most of the colour using a saphir shoe cream but when I come round to using a water polishing technique, this seems to strip off all the shoe cream and go back to the colour when renomat stripped it prior.

any suggestions to fix this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads