• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I much prefer using Bick4 over Lexol, as the latter seems to leave a greasy residue over the leather surface even with a light application.  However, having read your comment, I wonder if Bick4 is nice to use as it doesn't leave ANYTHING on the surface!
Your reasoning for using it over Lexol is why I am skeptical of it. First off all I tested the pH, which was around 8-9. Bad for leather right there. Secondly, it doesn't leave any surface residue, even on heavily topcoated leather. This is also suspect to me because it could be all, or mostly water, emulsifier, and other agents that will evaporate quickly. How exactly is that nourishing for leather? Sure it makes the finishing process easier and cleaner, but I am not convinced it is actually imparting much, or anything into the leather. In my opinion, I feel that for a leather conditioner to do anything it has to disrupt the wax finish on the shoe to get into the pores. If nothing is left over on the surface, even in minimal amounts I am not convinced that it is imparting anything into the leather. Of course the company, like most are terrified of telling people what is in their products and rely on consumers taking their word for it that it works. Frankly, I don't care if it is an old grandad recipe passed down over 200 years. We know a lot more about leather today than we did then.

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I much prefer using Bick4 over Lexol, as the latter seems to leave a greasy residue over the leather surface even with a light application. However, having read your comment, I wonder if Bick4 is nice to use as it doesn't leave ANYTHING on the surface!

Personally, I believe Lexol's leather conditioner leaving a greasy/oily residue is the whole point of the product. Just like a hair conditioner, it's bringing back necessary oils and nourishing the leather. After an application, the conditioner is absorbed into the leather; there is no residue remaining.

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if linking to outside websites is allowed, but this blog has a quick guide on cleaning/conditioning. There's also a few YouTube guides on polishing shoes and shining. 
Good blog I'll plan to start off with these tonight.

Alexandru

Reaction score
Hello. What would happen if I were to use a lighter-than-shoe cream on a pair of burgundy shoes? Just a few shades lighter, like Saphir's rouge cerise, carmin or hermes.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. What would happen if I were to use a lighter-than-shoe cream on a pair of burgundy shoes? Just a few shades lighter, like Saphir's rouge cerise, carmin or hermes.

I prefer to use lighter colours. Nothing adverse will happen from a few uses. Using darker coloured shoe cream will make the leather darker. Using a lighter coloured shoe cream may make the shoe look a little lighter over many uses and time. But if you're cleaning/conditioning regularly, this shouldn't be an issue.

kbuzz

Reaction score

I prefer to use lighter colours. Nothing adverse will happen from a few uses. Using darker coloured shoe cream will make the leather darker. Using a lighter coloured shoe cream may make the shoe look a little lighter over many uses and time. But if you're cleaning/conditioning regularly, this shouldn't be an issue.

would it add some depth of color? Or just change the tint slightly?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want depth or antiquing, you'll want to use a darker coloured polish. Personally, I've never used lighter-than-shoe cream/polish long enough (without cleaning/conditioning in between) to know if the colour changes, but with the buildup of product on leather, I can imagine a change in tint to a lighter colour.

Last edited:

starro

Reaction score
^ this. One application won't do it. Repeated application might change the color, but only depending on the original color, the uniformity of the color on the leather, the type of leather etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you want depth or antiquing, you'll want to use a darker coloured polish. Personally, I've never used lighter-than-shoe cream/polish long enough (without cleaning/conditioning in between) to know if the colour changes, but with the buildup of product on leather, I can imagine a change in tint to a lighter colour. 

^ this. One application won't do it. Repeated application might change the color, but only depending on the original color, the uniformity of the color on the leather, the type of leather etc.

In general I would use a slightly lighter shade all of the time. The lighter pigments offset the natural darkening imparted from the oils in the polish. I dated a makeup artist for ~7 years and she told me the same principle applies to makeup and skin.

narcosis219

Reaction score
Shoe bags...

How do you guys use shoe bags when the shoe soles are so dirty? Do you clean the soles every time before you put them in shoe bags or do you just nasty up the bags and wash them periodically?

Maybe I'm just grossed out having piss and other crap that's sitting around city streets/restroom floors soaking into the bags. Also concerned about dirt and pebbles scratching the uppers if they're loose in the bags. Not a huge issue? No one seems to talk about shoe bag maintenance

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads