• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You don't have to brush off dust that never lands on the shoe in the first place. Also, I definitely have shoes that don't get worn every month, sometimes even longer, so doesn't it make sense to keep them as dust-free as possible?

Yes, it does. One of the most critical things a person can do to maintain their shoes is to keeps them as dust free as possible. Regular brushing...twice a day perhaps...for shoes in daily service would not be excessive.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is it recommendable to use a desinfectant spray for the insoles? My podologist told me that I should use a spray that I don't remember how is it called to avoid fungus inside. Is that recommendable?

Your podiatrist is a smart man...the many here who would disagree with him notwithstanding. Esp. when it comes to thrifted shoes.

That said, if your shoes are yours and yours alone and always have been and you have never had an infection, spraying the insole / interior with a disinfectant (probably alcohol based) may not be necessary. Of course, it depends a lot on personal hygiene and how many pairs of untreated thrifted shoes you wear and own.

And having said all that, it is my understanding is that here is a UV device available now that when placed in the shoe can kill bacteria and fungal spores(?)...even long dormant ones. Theoretically with little or no damage to the shoe.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how effective something like this would be:

Chawk806

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting since all of my better quality shoes were preworn before I got them. They all seem to be clean on the inside. This is why I perfer to purchase worn shoes from guys on the forum. I feel much better about how the shoes were cared for
1f601.png

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does. One of the most critical things a person can do to maintain their shoes is to keeps them as dust free as possible. Regular brushing...twice a day perhaps...for shoes in daily service would not be excessive.

OK - so I'm not crazy (at least, not totally crazy)

Threeputt

Reaction score

I wonder how effective something like this would be:

As one who's been working in microbial control for quite a while, I am a bit skeptical here. Assuming proper intensity (bulb maintenance is important) and exposure time (needs at least an hour or two), UV radiation will kill microbes and this may work well for light surface fungal contaminations. I wonder about the nooks and crannies however where the light don't shine. Any organisms not killed would simply spread given the right conditions (like the next wearing where moisture content goes back up).

Also not sure about spore efficacy. They can be quite inert.

Would be very interested in any direct experiences or studies that may be out there...

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wonder about the nooks and crannies however where the light don't shine. Any organisms not killed would simply spread given the right conditions (like the next wearing where moisture content goes back up).

Nook and crannies...deep in hair follicles, pores, under the edges of the insole, under heel pads or sockliners...etc..

Thing is fungal infections are usually systemic (or so I've been told by doctors) and you can pick up a fungus...esp. from vintage shoes...and it will remain dormant in the body for years, even decades. When it does manifest it may be a as toenail infection or a stubborn case of athletes foot or as an itchy irritation under the nose or any number of similar, seemingly unconnected, problems.

Aside from the near certainty of never, ever being properly fit in used shoes (simply because the insole will already have been molded to someone else's feet) at some point it's a game of Russian Roulette.

And an example of evolution in action.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always do so to keep them looking nice. Can you explain the non aesthetic benefits?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I always do so to keep them looking nice. Can you explain the non aesthetic benefits?

Removes...or helps to remove...dust, grit, & microfines from creases. IMO, such...often unseen...detritus is the single biggest cause of cracking. The fact that it is picked up and held into the creases by wax, oils, fats, and most conditioners, only makes removing it more important.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Removes...or helps to remove...dust, grit, & microfines from creases. IMO, such...often unseen...detritus is the single biggest cause of cracking. The fact that it is picked up and held into the creases by wax, oils, fats, and most conditioners, only makes removing it more important.

Thanks! I learn something every time I come here. Sounds like I need to add a brush to my travel kit.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly.

Some may consider it overkill, but I keep mine in the boxes and in the bags. With more than 40 pairs of shoes, a given pair won't get worn for up to 2 months. It seems silly to me to have shoes that cost north of $800 for every single pair and not spend 20 extra seconds to bag and box them. Plus the box makes it really easy to identify what's what.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics