• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glenjay

Reaction score

i ahve a problem where my shoe trees seem to be too small (in terms of their thickness, i guess) so there is not really much support to keep the vamp tight (?) not sure if i'm describing properly, but if anyone understands what i mean, is there anything i can do to remedy this issue? 

If the trees are the recommended size for the shoe, then I would suggest adding an inexpensive rubber insole insert (the kind you can buy off the rack at almost any store) and use them with the trees to push the trees up against the vamp. You may need to be careful when doing this with split toed shoe trees as you could force a crease in the vamp over time.

Another option, if you are using solid toed shoe trees, is to use a tongue pad (can be bought online or at a shoe repair store). A tongue pad is a soft rectangular pad with a peel off sticky side you would normally stick to the underside of the tongue of your shoe to make it fit better with a low instep. But you could stick the tongue pad to the top of the shoe tree instead to achieve the tighter tree fit you are looking for.

Lucifigus

Reaction score
Thanks very much. If nobody else says anything soon, I'll give it a shot.
Is there a place online that ships to Canada where I could buy all of these items?

Some Lexol products are available at Amazon.ca. The Safir products are available from a few sources that will ship to Canada. Do an internet search to display a couple suppliers - Safir products are expensive. It's a bit disappointing in a country with conditions that are hard on good leather footwear, we seem to have a dearth of good products to care for our shoes and boots.

Lucifigus

darbebo

Reaction score
Please! Can anyone please help me? Novice question about NAPPA leather

I am getting a pair of black bruno magli Nappa leather shoe "Raging" and I want to know if my steps below are correct since i believe this is not normal calfskin leather. So i want to make sure the steps i am taking caters to this kind of leather

1. Get a damp (not too damp) paper towel and wipe down dirt on the shoe
2. Apply some Leather Honey with Detailer's Choice Polishing Cloth . The leather honey is put on generously all over the shoe in circular motion. No need for a cleaner because i already wipe it down with the damp paper towel as far as i know
3. Go do something else for a 30 mins???? while the leather sucks up the Leather Honey
4. Wipe down with a dry cloth/undershirt, I will now have well-conditioned and clean leather, but unpolished
5. Apply Meltonian Shoe Cream Polish (this is not wax right?) to the nappa leather shoe using a Shoe Dauber Brush in a circular motion. Leave the polish on for ONE min after they the polish has been applied, I was told you don't want to leave polish on too long.
6. Wipe off all excess with a clean undershirt (or do i need a "stencil dauber"
7. Use this Shoe Brush and buff my shoes to a perfect shine
8. get a drop or 2 of water onto a clean cloth and wipe the shoe (alt. to a spit shine) once overall
9. Use the shoe brush to buff it some more
9. apply edge/sole dressing

Is this correct for Nappa leather care??

Please help!

archangle13

Reaction score
This is my first time shining my shoes. Is this how it's supposed to look like?

Do you polish (not shine) the rest of the shoe besides the toe cap? How many layers of polish do you use for that? I'm afraid that if I polish the rest of the shoe, the leather will crack over time.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you polish (not shine) the rest of the shoe besides the toe cap? How many layers of polish do you use for that? I'm afraid that if I polish the rest of the shoe, the leather will crack over time.

I only use cream polish on the rest of the shoe besides the toe and heel. You can get a little more shine on the vamp without risking cracking with some good brushing and buffing after a coat of cream or renovateur, but they look good already unless you want to go for the way of the mirror.

Karembeu

Reaction score
I only use cream polish on the rest of the shoe besides the toe and heel. You can get a little more shine on the vamp without risking cracking with some good brushing and buffing after a coat of cream or renovateur, but they look good already unless you want to go for the way of the mirror.

Newb question...but why would there be risk of cracking? I thought conditioning and polishing helped the shoes to not crack?

archangle13

Reaction score
Buffing only refers to the use of a cloth right? Is there a difference in result between using a brush or a cloth?

I have seen plain toe cap mirrors before, but how exactly will a mirrored perforated toe cap look like? Any links or pics?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buffing only refers to the use of a cloth right? Is there a difference in result between using a brush or a cloth?

I have seen plain toe cap mirrors before, but how exactly will a mirrored perforated toe cap look like? Any links or pics?

Yes, buffing with a cloth. I usually use a cut up old undershirt. The shine with be better with a cloth, but the brushing evens it out first and gets into the brogues, etc.

Check the pics in this thread. I've posted one at least and others have.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking good. Polish the heel counters. Can also try a layer or two light color/neutral wax on top of the existing shine to give it a bit more depth.

Last edited:

Lear

Reaction score

Looks nice. You can either keep as is, or if you're one of those strange obsessive types, add more product + elbow + finger grease + time. But do you really want to do that? What you have is an easily maintainable shoe. A practical shine. If you're a young happening dude, with things to do, places to go, just stick to what you have. I have yet to find a woman who climaxes at the sight of a highly polished toecap. I've tried... my God I've tried :embar:

Lear

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Lear, but you have misunderstood the reason why the mirror toe is desired; talking to a woman wearing a skirt? Slide your foot slowly forwards and look down.

archangle13

Reaction score
Quote:
Looks nice. You can either keep as is, or if you're one of those strange obsessive types, add more product + elbow + finger grease + time. But do you really want to do that? What you have is an easily maintainable shoe. A practical shine. If you're a young happening dude, with things to do, places to go, just stick to what you have. I have yet to find a woman who climaxes at the sight of a highly polished toecap. I've tried... my God I've tried
shog[1].gif

Lear

The difference between what I have now and a mirror shine is simply more layers of polish? Man... how many layers does it take??

Quote:
Looking good. Polish the heel counters. Can also try a layer or two light color/neutral wax on top of the existing shine to give it a bit more depth.

Light colour as in tan or light brown? Is there a problem with using Saphir for the black, and Kiwi for the neutral/light polish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads