• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Yes. I was going to recommend that. Hopefully it'll work!

Looks like the Saphir recolorant (Renovatrice) did the trick. That said, so I know what to expect in the future, does Reno'mat or any other of the stronger shoe cleaners strip the recolorant, or is that truly permanent?

Last edited:

Goofy

Reaction score
So, I wore my renovatrice-treated LWB last night.

The result was that the renovatrice just peeled off the cracks. It did not adhere at all: it came off like plastic film.

Did I put this on wrongly? It dried for 48 hours. It was completely adhered before I put it on - but afterwards, it just peeled off. I have had much less success with renovatrice than most other people have. Am I doing something wrong with the application? Do I need to add something to cure it so it completely adheres and becomes a hard resin?
I fear that the cordovan leather is simply to smooth and impermeable for the renovatrice to properly adhere to it. There is no Saphir bonding agent I am aware of.
Alternatively, you could try a product from a different brand that does, like the Angelus acrylic leather paint primarily designed for sneakers, but matching the color of the paint to the shoe may pose a challenge.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fear that the cordovan leather is simply to smooth and impermeable for the renovatrice to properly adhere to it. There is no Saphir bonding agent I am aware of.
Alternatively, you could try a product from a different brand that does, like the Angelus acrylic leather paint primarily designed for sneakers, but matching the color of the paint to the shoe may pose a challenge.

Would the leather paint fill in the tear?

Sadly: I also tore the LWB at the shoe lace hole last night. It seems these shoes are destined to become watch straps...

I have an idea: I am going to call up Horween tomorrow and see if I can't ask them what they'd recommend.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Saphir recolorant (Renovatrice) did the trick. That said, so I know what to expect in the future, does Reno'mat or any other of the stronger shoe cleaners strip the recolorant, or is that truly permanent?

Yes. Renomat removes renovatrice.

Renomat basically eats through anything it wants.

florent

Reaction score
So, I wore my renovatrice-treated LWB last night.

The result was that the renovatrice just peeled off the cracks. It did not adhere at all: it came off like plastic film.

Did I put this on wrongly? It dried for 48 hours. It was completely adhered before I put it on - but afterwards, it just peeled off. I have had much less success with renovatrice than most other people have. Am I doing something wrong with the application? Do I need to add something to cure it so it completely adheres and becomes a hard resin?

AFAIK no filler would hold on properly when the cracks are in a bending area. Sorry but I would call these shoes a lost cause
But I'd love to be proven wrong if you find a solution, that would be a game changer in shoe restauration!

Goofy

Reaction score
Would the leather paint fill in the tear?

Sadly: I also tore the LWB at the shoe lace hole last night. It seems these shoes are destined to become watch straps...

I have an idea: I am going to call up Horween tomorrow and see if I can't ask them what they'd recommend.
Sorry for laughing at your expense, but your watch strap comment had me laughing out loud. I could use me some shell watch strap, provided it’s sturdy enough and doesn’t fail. That would be a complete catastrophe. Imagine your high end watch tumbling to the floor because the strap tore. The thought alone makes me shudder.

On the subject; yes, Angelus offers a wide array of leather paints, including a line which is designed to repair damaged leather. Some of it even adheres to plastics. For reasons previously stated, I’m uncertain whether it would work.

P.S: You’ll find a plethora of Angelus shoe restoration video’s on YouTube.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for laughing at your expense, but your watch strap comment had me laughing out loud. I could use me some shell watch strap, provided it’s sturdy enough and doesn’t fail. That would be a complete catastrophe. Imagine your high end watch tumbling to the floor because the strap tore. The thought alone makes me shudder.

On the subject; yes, Angelus offers a wide array of leather paints, including a line which is designed to repair damaged leather. Some of it even adheres to plastics. For reasons previously stated, I’m uncertain whether it would work.

P.S: You’ll find a plethora of Angelus shoe restoration video’s on YouTube.

Not a problem. It is pretty amusing to think!

Good thing is: a good amount of this shoe is in good condition. There's a guy here on Styleforum that has made several watches out of old shoes. I don't remember his screen name, though. I'll try to dig it up.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I thought this shoe had a crepe sole and Juan has confirmed this. Crepe soles are usually of stitchdown construction and - sometimes - a rand goes on top. As it happens, I have just ordered a made to order pair of desert boots with just this combination. There is nothing wrong with either of these features. I would be surprised to see a stormwelt on crepe soled light suede shoes.

Sanders, by the way, make great shoes! Best wishes, Munky.

Reporting form Sanders factory. The Archie suede shoe in crepe sole is GYW. Awsome shoe.

MortimerHobbs

Reaction score
I've searched the forums for an answer and unfortunately can't find any definitive answer on non-renovateur leather conditioners.

I'm looking at Cobbler's Choice, Bick 4, Venetian, and Blackrock and wanted to know which one is best at hydrating leather, providing some amount of weather proofing, and do what it can to fix scuffs. I've watched a ton of videos but those are never as good as folks with actual experience with the products.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've searched the forums for an answer and unfortunately can't find any definitive answer on non-renovateur leather conditioners.

I'm looking at Cobbler's Choice, Bick 4, Venetian, and Blackrock and wanted to know which one is best at hydrating leather, providing some amount of weather proofing, and do what it can to fix scuffs. I've watched a ton of videos but those are never as good as folks with actual experience with the products.
Bick 4 will be great for moisturizing the leather without darkening. It won't really give a shine though, that's what polish and wax are for. If you want weather proofing why aren't you using wax? If you want a small shine with your moisturizing then you can go renovateur. You are kind of asking for 3 products in 1 to be honest. Moisturizer will be one product, polish to get rid of scuffs another, and wax for a weather proofing.

cristianivc

Reaction score

DapperAndy

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
I already try with shoe cleaner and it didn’t work. Do you think I should repeat the process with a more concentrated solution?
My post doesn’t reference a shoe cleaner, so I can’t speak to anyone in particular’s cleaner. But it does recommend using a glycerine & coconut oil shampoo along with room temperature water. The glycerine in the shampoo will pick up the material, while the coconut oil will keep the leather supple and avoid drying out. The water will allow the spread, but will also act as a gentle solvent when coupled with the glycerine.

So, no, usually a more concentrated solution of something that didn’t work, isn’t going to help make something work more - just potentially run the risk of ruining the leather/suede.

cristianivc

Reaction score
My post doesn’t reference a shoe cleaner, so I can’t speak to anyone in particular’s cleaner. But it does recommend using a glycerine & coconut oil shampoo along with room temperature water. The glycerine in the shampoo will pick up the material, while the coconut oil will keep the leather supple and avoid drying out. The water will allow the spread, but will also act as a gentle solvent when coupled with the glycerine.

So, no, usually a more concentrated solution of something that didn’t work, isn’t going to help make something work more - just potentially run the risk of ruining the leather/suede.
I use Baxter of California protein shampoo, and it doesn’t have coconut oil. Do you think is better to buy a coconut oil and glycerin shampoo or any other shampoo with glycerin and oils should do the work?

DapperAndy

Reaction score
I use Baxter of California protein shampoo, and it doesn’t have coconut oil. Do you think is better to buy a coconut oil and glycerin shampoo or any other shampoo with glycerin and oils should do the work?
That ingredient list doesn’t appear to have any conditioning oils - which is important for ensuring the glycerine, solvents, etc. don’t totally dry up and ruin the suede.
I’d search for a 2-in-1 with a simple ingredient list.
And no, it doesn’t have to be coconut oil - but coconut oil is one of the best oils for keeping your leather conditioned and reducing oxidation and rancidity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads