1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Yes Sir.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Whatchman1
    That's incredible! I've never seen anything like that.

1 person likes this.
  3. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I had a very small separation of the dog tail and the upper piece connected to it on my AE wholecut Hanover. They never fixed it. FWIW, sometimes they'd tell you that the shoes or boots are gone, and that you need to invest in a new one.

Was the original surface remained intact, or did you remove it and started polishing all over?

4. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Yes Sir,

This entire process took around 3-4 hrs worth of work total plus letting them sit overnight.

All Saphir Regimen.

Neutral products only...no color ever on my shells unless their is a deep scuff the bone and brushing wont remove.

Thanks.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Nicely done Watchman1. I made a similar attempt at my color 8 PCT's when they were new. After a few days, I removed the high shine and decided to stick with a more matte finish so they were a bit more versatile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Do you wear them with casual outfits? Or simply strip them because, well, "versatile"?

7. garland

garland Senior member

I just had the exact same repair done on a pair of my AE boots. It shouldn't be an issue. IF those are the boots I'm thinking of, they're the Long Branch. Its very much alive and well.

8. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hi folks!

Check out the new Shoeshine Video we made in collaboration with Yuya Hasegawa (Brift H) and GQ Taiwan!!!
    The video will be played around the country in the Mitsukoshi Dept and Eslite Bookstores. and of course, in OAK ROOM TAIPEI!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

The actual run took about 20~30 minutes, this video was cut to under 2 min since it will be played in public spaces. I hope to get hold of the full version from GQ.

and here is the accompanying article on the JUN issue of GQ TAIWAN! (sorry in Chinese!)

[​IMG]

ENJOY!!!

5 people like this.
  9. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Very nice indeed. Thanks Nutcracker for making the video and posting the link.

My only issue with the video is that Hasegawa-San was brushing a brand new pair of shoes and so I can't really appreciate the difference. Maybe I should watch it on a computer monitor instead of my iPhone.

10. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Somehow I get the impression that Japanese favors natural glow on their shoes. It's a rare thing to see their shoes in full spit shine's capability.

11. benhour

benhour Senior member

I have to agree with Chowkin on that too!! I can never understand why posting a shoe care tutorial using a brand new pair of shoes(probably showing the procedure but you cant see if that method works )

Generally is a very good guide but i think he is doing things too fast (in the bad way)! Products need to sit properly to work well! And if you spit shine fast after conditioner-dubbin application all the mirror effect ll dull

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

13. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Cool tutorial @nutcrackerthank you!

We had a major downpour here last Thursday and I didn't have galoshes so I was doing my best but my shoes were getting fairly wet. Imagine my surprise/frustration when I noticed salt (stains) in them the next day! :censored:

Who is putting out salt in June?! I will admit while trying to avoid puddles etc. I did see what looked like rock salt somewhere but I immediately disregarded it for what I thought were obvious reasons. :violin:

Thankfully I know how to remove them fairly easily. (I use a water and vinegar mixture, at about 10:1. It's fairly weak and requires several reapplications but I've seen a strong mixture turn leather into wood bark, so I like to play it safe.)

My PSA is to be judicious in wearing your beaters in inclimate weather. And never underestimate how bad things can go.

1 person likes this.
  14. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I refinished my old Red Wing 595s.
    [​IMG]

I can't get the white soles any cleaner, but I may get them resoled. (Still undecided on that)
    What do you think?

15. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Put a Ridgeway or JR on it.

16. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

A JR on old Red Wing chukka?

17. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Could be.

18. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Is anyone here familiar with Leather Honey? It seems to be good with cleaning leather and getting gunk out, but I'm unsure about the conditioning merits. Thanks!

19. phototristan

What are peoples opinions on goat hair brushes? Apparently they are softer than horse hair so are mainly good for just dusting already shined shoes. Worth it or no?

20. phototristan

Is this the same guy as here? Because it seems very similar.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015