• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, six layers and no build up, very nice results (very nice photografi too)

We'll see how they hold up to some wearing. The creases may show a little cracking (or not). I'l wear them next week some. My initial wearing around the house last night was favorable.

Each layer of CREAM polish was rubbed vigorously into the shoe with a fair bit of pressure in small circles. The friction causes the wax to heat up and thus presumably drives it deeper into the pores in the leather.

When shoes are finished by the maker they often use a stick wax that is held up to a buffing wheel to put wax on the pads. They then hold the shoe into the pad and the wax transfers into the shoe via the friction and heat. This is what I am attempting to mimick via a manual process.

I would NOT advise that others simply apply six coats of polish to a shoe before wearing it, by the way. This is an experiment that is as of yet unproven as to outcome.

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Good info & advice. How long did you wait before applying each quote? Edit: also any crema alpina etc in between?

We'll see how they hold up to some wearing. The creases may show a little cracking (or not). I'l wear them next week some. My initial wearing around the house last night was favorable.
Each layer of CREAM polish was rubbed vigorously into the shoe with a fair bit of pressure in small circles. The friction causes the wax to heat up and thus presumably drives it deeper into the pores in the leather.
When shoes are finished by the maker they often use a stick wax that is held up to a buffing wheel to put wax on the pads. They then hold the shoe into the pad and the wax transfers into the shoe via the friction and heat. This is what I am attempting to mimick via a manual process.
I would NOT advise that others simply apply six coats of polish to a shoe before wearing it, by the way. This is an experiment that is as of yet unproven as to outcome.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good info & advice. How long did you wait before applying each quote? Edit: also any crema alpina etc in between?

One coat a night. I conditioned them before I started but they've had no other conditioning. There is a lot of conditioner in cream polish already. After all the cream polish was done I did one thin coat of Saphir paste wax in neutral just to give them a bit more 'depth'.

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Great technique - many thanks for sharing :fonz:

One coat a night. I conditioned them before I started but they've had no other conditioning. There is a lot of conditioner in cream polish already. After all the cream polish was done I did one thin coat of Saphir paste wax in neutral just to give them a bit more 'depth'.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone tried heating the shoes prior to waxing to have the polish take better?

I've used hot water to dip my rag into when bulling toes. I've heated wax over a candle flame. But I've never heated the shoes themselves, other than a hair dryer set on low used to help remove excess polish on a pair I was experimenting with.

Some around here were horrified that I brought up the idea of using a hair dryer - but the idea came from Tony at G&G and I'm sure I did no harm to the shoes in the process.

glenjay

Reaction score

Anyone tried heating the shoes prior to waxing to have the polish take better?

I can tell you from experence that warm is good and hot is not. In a moment of impatience I took a pastry tourch to the plug of a loafer (from a distance - I'm not stup... ) to melt some wax and had to throw the shoes away because of heat damage to the leather. I therefore learned that was not a good idea.

However, warm leather seems to accept wax better than cool leather, if for no other reason than the wax becomes softer and spreads easier.

I don't normally heat my shoes before polishing them because I polish my shoes when I am sitting in my home office which I keep around 80 deg F.

I think the concern some people have with using a hair dryer (even on low) is that it is forcing warm air on the shoe, and they have heard any number of times that you should never dry your shoes that way; which is true. However, in the case of using this method as a step in shoe maintenance when oils will be added either through a leather conditioner or the oils in shoe polish, I don't see the harm. A dry shoe being warmed to remove or prep for polish is a lot different than a wet shoe being force dried and put away.

dron

Reaction score
How do you guys clean you applicator brushes?

When I polish my shoes I end up with granulated dried out wax polish ALL over the place.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clean your brushes with dish washing liquid and hot water.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Clean your brushes with dish washing liquid and hot water.

^ This.

+ Try to avoid the water coming into contact with the handle. Good quality brushes are usually made by clamping the bristles to the handle with a hidden metal ferrule, overtime water will corrode it and you'll loose more bristles.

worldrunner

Reaction score
I have spent the last couple days reading all 76 pages. It is time I try to refine some of my shoes. First project is a pair of AE's. I am completely ignorant, but If I have learned correctly, I should:

1) Use Saphir saddle soap to strip shoes and remove the effects of the wrong color shoe polish on the toe / any wax.
2) Clean with Saphir Renovateur Cleaner and conditioner
3) Polish with Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish according to the color of the shoe / or use the correct AE chestnut polish I have purchased using a shoe polish dauber. (this is to get the scratches on the side out?)
4) Wait, then Brush off using a horsehair brush.
5) Wax
6) Complete overhaul and thanks style forum for saving shoes

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Wow, reading all of that is commitment. So I can't add much...you know as much as all of us now!

Regarding step 1, whilst Saddle soap is ok, Saphir Renomat will do a better job of removing old polish, resin or silicon deposits.

Last edited:

worldrunner

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice North Hampton... I'll surf the web to try to get some. Hopefully it isnt just sold in the EU.

Last edited:

kwhunter

Reaction score
Quick question: would treating the leather soles with Montana Pitch Blend would make them softer and accelerate the wear on them?
Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads