• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dangerous

Reaction score
I messed up with my RW CRT before I really got around to learning enough. I looked around and basically messed up big time.

They are now not necessarily ruined, but the colour is nowhere near what I was thinking.

RW mink oil > got them really muddy and had to whipe them down real badly with water > put on boot oil instead.

They are now WAY darker than I want them to be. I just bick 4'd them a week ago after wearing them 2-3 times a week for 3 months. They got a bit lighter, but still the same darkness.

xWKZOLr.jpg

I've got the suggestion of soaking them in warm water over night and then bick 4 them in the morning. I'm thinking eventually going with saddle soap.

Any suggestions?

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
In my limited experience raw denim can give colour transfer when dry when new, but after a couple washes this is greatly reduced. Come this spring I am going to be wearing that denim with my Loden suede boots. I'd say treat the suede with spray stain/waterproofing beforehand. If there is any staining, I hope that the Saphir Omni will take care of it.

True, it is greatly reduced. But it still looks ghastly with a slight blue teint on your brand new snuff suede chukkas :)

I own Saphir Omni as well, but i have not tried if it willl work. It would be a damn shame if a ruined a nice pair of Suede Chukkas only because i didnt ask on this forum.

Again, if anyone have any kind of experience with this do please let me know :)

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dangerous ... why not try just to let your boots alone?
None of the substances you used has any colour in it, and therefore I'd think that the darker colour does only come from oversoaking.
Were your boots mine, I'd restrain from using/adding other chemicals and just brush them, a lot and every day, wether you used them or not.
It may take time, but doing so the oils and greases you stuffed your boots with should disperse uniformly in the leather and result in a lighter, or at least more uniform, look.
Good luck, Luigi.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MrUnderwood , I've worn my last jeans more than ten years ago but I never experienced them staining my suede boots.
Maybe my jeans had been washed dozens of times.
In small Italian towns, many years ago, you only found jeans blue as the night and stiff as cardboard, and only after months of abusing and washing they got the distressed look - the one shouting "Hey, real badass here".
As a matter of fact, for some time we used our new jeans only indoor, to do home or garden work, and machine washed them when needed ...
Maybe my experience is too far from yours, but that's all I have to share.
Best wishes, Luigi.

dangerous

Reaction score
@dangerous ... why not try just to let your boots alone?
None of the substances you used has any colour in it, and therefore I'd think that the darker colour does only come from oversoaking.
Were your boots mine, I'd restrain from using/adding other chemicals and just brush them, a lot and every day, wether you used them or not.
It may take time, but doing so the oils and greases you stuffed your boots with should disperse uniformly in the leather and result in a lighter, or at least more uniform, look.
Good luck, Luigi.

Thank you for your help! 3 months of wear didnt help and the leather got dry so I bick 4’d them. I could try to brush them even more I guess, any other ideas? Warm water over night?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I messed up with my RW CRT before I really got around to learning enough. I looked around and basically messed up big time.

They are now not necessarily ruined, but the colour is nowhere near what I was thinking.

RW mink oil > got them really muddy and had to whipe them down real badly with water > put on boot oil instead.

They are now WAY darker than I want them to be. I just bick 4'd them a week ago after wearing them 2-3 times a week for 3 months. They got a bit lighter, but still the same darkness.

xWKZOLr.jpg

I've got the suggestion of soaking them in warm water over night and then bick 4 them in the morning. I'm thinking eventually going with saddle soap.

Any suggestions?
I agree with the previous suggestion of leaving them alone. I wouldn’t bother with brushing them on days that I didn’t wear them.
If this is going to bother you, take them to your local Red Wing store and ask their advice. I’m sure that they have dealt with people putting too much product on their boots before.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help! 3 months of wear didnt help and the leather got dry so I bick 4’d them. I could try to brush them even more I guess, any other ideas? Warm water over night?

I think that they look really good as they are. You have introduced a really interesting patina and I would leave them alone. Certainly don't consider soaking them in water overnight!

I like the slightly 'knocked about' finish to some shoes. I have a pair of Dr Marten shoes that are made of some sort of nappa leather. They show every scratch and mark and the more punishment they get, the better they look! To me, anyway and presumably to other people who buy them. I like the paradox: generally I take care of all my shoes and try to avoid any scratches or knocks. With this pair, I purposely kick them around! Shoes don't always have to be pristine!

I love the creases in your boots and the colours. Do consider leaving them as they are.
With all good wishes, Munky.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading that shell cordovan requires their own blend of polish. Is this true because of the membrane structure?

Second, can a leather conditioner be used in shell cordovan?

Finally, I bought Saphir cordovan creme for my first and only pair of shells. Can this creme be used for calf leather?

Thanks!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@flipstah , I may answer your third question only: your calf shoes will not explode if you sometimes happen to use cordovan creme on them.
But cordovan-specific cremes have in them less nutrients, due to the nature of the cordovan that has already many oils in it, and so the calf might not get the nourishment it needs from the use of a cream not intended for it.
This my understanding of what I have read on this thread, but I'm ready to stand corrected if I'm wrong.
I own just a pair of cordovan Aldens and sometimes (maybe once a year) give them a spare (VERY spare) shot of Bick4 with my fingers, massaging it until it's absorbed. Then, the day after, I brush my shoes thoroughly.
Best wishes, Luigi.

dangerous

Reaction score
I think that they look really good as they are. You have introduced a really interesting patina and I would leave them alone. Certainly don't consider soaking them in water overnight!

I like the slightly 'knocked about' finish to some shoes. I have a pair of Dr Marten shoes that are made of some sort of nappa leather. They show every scratch and mark and the more punishment they get, the better they look! To me, anyway and presumably to other people who buy them. I like the paradox: generally I take care of all my shoes and try to avoid any scratches or knocks. With this pair, I purposely kick them around! Shoes don't always have to be pristine!

I love the creases in your boots and the colours. Do consider leaving them as they are.
With all good wishes, Munky.

It seems like everyone except me likes the patina and creasing. I might just leave them the way they are. I was considering picking up a new pair of CRT:s, but IR:s or moc toes, but we'll see!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

xWKZOLr.jpg

Any suggestions?
New to this thread, greetings all. At this point wear, brush occasionally, enjoy and repeat.
Edit: They actually look pretty bad-ass!

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the specific case, this is the best advice! :fonz:

Yes! This idea of 'beaten up shoes' and those with very noticeable creases is very much an acquired taste! Mostly, I like a 'roll' in the vamp, rather than a crease. Trickers brogues are very good for this - in my experience they rarely crease. But...sometimes it is great to break the rules. I particularly like the look of boots that have been worn, heavily and show their age. All good wishes, Munky.

dangerous

Reaction score
The shoes are bought in september last year lol. They are not really that beaten up and heavily worn, but I guess I'll get around liking them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads