• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before:

P1030744.JPG

After:
_1030813.JPG
_1030814.JPG
_1030815.JPG

DaveCPA

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/E1ptT

What can I do to prevent these from darkening right here? That’s where the split toe tree is making contact with the side of the shoe.

This is a cheap pair of CH loafers, but I love the way they feel and I wear them a lot as Friday shoes, so I want to keep them up as long as possible

right_hook

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Mr Hook. You are right, health comes first. Thanks, also, for searching for some 'safe' products.

Do you know of any masks that would be suitable and readily available? Is there one, for example, that I could buy from Amazon? Thanks, again, Munky.

You're welcome, Mr. Munky. I'm glad to help you!
I've bought the basic one on eBay - 3M 6200 half facepiece respirator mask with 6001 cartridge. According to description it's: "NIOSH approved for protection against certain organic vapors". I've checked their selection guide and it seems that OV 6001 cartridge meets our requirements.
At the same time, I should say that it's just my choice which based on internet research. Maybe someone can provide us better information.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, Mr. Munky. I'm glad to help you!
I've bought the basic one on eBay - 3M 6200 half facepiece respirator mask with 6001 cartridge. According to description it's: "NIOSH approved for protection against certain organic vapors". I've checked their selection guide and it seems that OV 6001 cartridge meets our requirements.
At the same time, I should say that it's just my choice which based on internet research. Maybe someone can provide us better information.

Thank you very much. This information is so useful! I think I have found the product that you suggest, from e-bay. I really appreciate your doing this search. I am now hoping to breathe much more frequently now! Thanks, again, Munky.

Nat Jag

Reaction score

What can I do to prevent these from darkening right here? That’s where the split toe tree is making contact with the side of the shoe.

This is a cheap pair of CH loafers, but I love the way they feel and I wear them a lot as Friday shoes, so I want to keep them up as long as possible

I think it's just your own natural patina.
I have similar but in suede, a brush with a suede brush does the trick, but can't help for these.

DaveCPA

Reaction score
I think it's just your own natural patina.
I have similar but in suede, a brush with a suede brush does the trick, but can't help for these.

I'll take some pics from all around and add to that album for further opinions.

Christian GV.

Reaction score
Before: photo
After: photos

These results are splendid Michael, been following the discussion on this for a while. What method did you end up with doing?

What can I do to prevent these from darkening right here?

Hi Dave, looks like a bit of oil/grease. Perfectly ok on its own. You can try a leather soap to lighten that part, e.g. Savon Cuir Lisse by Saphir. Don't rub too hard with the sponge, and let dry. Condition lightly with a soft leather conditioner.

Alternatively, brush off with a clean brush, then cautiously try a little dab of Saphir Renovateur on a cotton cloth and clean the darkening off with swift movements back and forth over the area. Soft to medium pressure. Let dry and brush. There's two possible outcomes; The darkening lightens, or the darkening evens out slightly. And as always, test the products on another area of the leather to see if you'll be confident with the process. Hope this helps!
Best regards, Chris

Last edited:

DaveCPA

Reaction score
I don't mind the color so much, as long as it doesn't appear to be "dirty"

So in your opinion that's more of a character thing than poor care?

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These results are splendid Michael, been following the discussion on this for a while. What method did you end up with doing?

Thank you kindly. I removed the finish on the toe cap and started from scratch. I made sure the leather was completely dry and added small amounts of polish at a time. It was just a case of building up the wax finish slowly over time. It took a few polishing sessions to achieve a consistent finish.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After I posted a pic of my muddy fishing boots (Zug Snowdon GMTO) on IG some questions regarding maintenance were asked.
Thought I might share my vid cleaning them here.

Removed mud, scrubbed them down, let dry and applied Obenaufs.

dBNszBd.jpg

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
What is the general approach for fixing/hiding a scratch in calf leather?

Is it best to go over with cream polish? Do I need to smooth it over with something first?

toe scratch.jpg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful and instructional video Crat!
Even at quick speed, one can see how accurate and loving your work is.
I like the smoking coffee cup lazily resting on a side, too:cool2:.
Best wishes, Luigi

Christian GV.

Reaction score
I've got a coffee stain on a pair of calf skin DMs here. Considering stripping the area with soap or acetone, then apply black Saphir dye.

What do you think? Best wishes, Chris

IMG_2270.JPG

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After I posted a pic of my muddy fishing boots (Zug Snowdon GMTO) on IG some questions regarding maintenance were asked.
Thought I might share my vid cleaning them here.

Removed mud, scrubbed them down, let dry and applied Obenaufs.

dBNszBd.jpg

awesome work, how long did it take you to do the proper clean up, 1.5hr?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads