• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kiwi is fine, it certainly doesn't have alcohol in it. Melatonin does have silicone in it, which many folks shy away from because it builds up and needs to be removed with a stripper.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Meltonian, not the sleep-related hormone melatonin!

Folks on here swear by Saphir for their creams, waxes, and other leather care products. Pretty hard to go wrong with Saphir.

Also, I just purchased some Bick4 leather conditioner...time to see if it lives up to the love!

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of used Allen Edmond Park Avenues in shell cordovan on eBay. I received them, but am now troubled by what seem to be indents on the cap toe. I was wondering if anyone could identify what these are from and if the cap toe can be restored. The left shoe also seems to have a residue of some kind, maybe wax build up. I love these shoes, but if they can't be restored I will have to return them.

Thanks,
Zach

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's an indent, it looks like the creasing of the shoe. You can see it on the right shoe as well, though to a lesser degree. The shoes were probably a bad fit for the original owner, and thus has the awkward creasing into the cap toe. Probably can't be restored, but I certainly wouldn't call the item defective or valid for return...you just happened to buy a used pair of shoes with bad creasing.

garland

Reaction score
The creasing is not what I am talking about. This is a better picture. Any ideas?

I would try a deer bone, personally. Or just enjoy them. With time and TLC, they'll become your own and who knows, you might even grow to like the character that your shoes have? idk. Thats how I always approach shell at least. Understandable if you don't feel the same way.

mirios

Reaction score
^^Meltonian, not the sleep-related hormone melatonin!

Folks on here swear by Saphir for their creams, waxes, and other leather care products. Pretty hard to go wrong with Saphir.

Also, I just purchased some Bick4 leather conditioner...time to see if it lives up to the love!
Haha, yea i meant to put melatonian***

Ah ok I will try saphir then. I do use Bick4 so I can support it and say it does a fantastic job!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, lexol is a conditioner, they don't sell polish. For polish use regular kiwi, saphir, lincoln, or any of those. Meltonian has silicone in it, which I said people shy away from.

The J&M salesperson didn't know what he's talking about. All shoe polishes have some sort of solvent in them, alcohol isn't a factor and it isn't in any shoe polish to my knowledge.

mirios

Reaction score
No, lexol is a conditioner, they don't sell polish. For polish use regular kiwi, saphir, lincoln, or any of those. Meltonian has silicone in it, which I said people shy away from.

The J&M salesperson didn't know what he's talking about. All shoe polishes have some sort of solvent in them, alcohol isn't a factor and it isn't in any shoe polish to my knowledge.
Outside man I greatly appreciate your help! One last question if you don't mind: What does silicone do to a shoe? Just curious...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Silicone itself isn't bad. I mean, it is completely inert. It is used in the human body in the form of implants (some more fun than others). The fact remains that silicones like to stick around, are very occlusive, and generally need some sort of solvent to remove. So continued use of silicones in shoe polishes will cause a buildup, which can have many harmful effects on leather in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads