• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

its the waxes (in this cases bees wax) that cracking off making the effect of "dusting" (make creasing areas look lighter)! Nothing to worry about!! just brush and with time it ll go away!

hope i helped a little bit :happy:

I figured it was nothing but what can I use instead and avoid this issue?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I figured it was nothing but what can I use instead and avoid this issue?
Use bick4 or lexol sparingly every few months (or any conditioner cleaner)

Saphir is for dress shoes and their products give shines, even renovateur

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Use bick4 or lexol sparingly every few months (or any conditioner cleaner)

Saphir is for dress shoes and their products give shines, even renovateur 

So do I just spray them with bick4 or lexol and that's it? No need to brush?

What about otter wax leather oil!

jaywhyy

Reaction score
So do I just spray them with bick4 or lexol and that's it? No need to brush?

What about otter wax leather oil!
I'd brush before and after every wear especially along creases and feather. Dust and grit stuck in the creases is what cracks leather. I just put on a dab of bick4 on a rag and rub it in when leather feels a little dry.

No experience with otter wax.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never really worked out how to use Lexol. Do you use it in the way that might use cream; a very little rubbed in? Or do you pour a bit onto a cloth and wipe it all over the shoe?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Otter Oil Wax? Sounds good.  No waxes in it?

its this http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Oil-A...qid=1437925579&sr=8-13&keywords=otter+wax+oil

company name is otter wax but their oil seems to be just oil.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never really worked out how to use Lexol. Do you use it in the way that might use cream; a very little rubbed in? Or do you pour a bit onto a cloth and wipe it all over the shoe?

For shoe care, more is more.

Just pour liberally onto a cloth, test on conspicuous spot to make sure no discoloration, then smear all over your shoes. Wait dry or over night for absorption then buff.

Oh, and they are excellent leather dye base as well. Mix them with leather dye and paint away. They help leather dye penetrate deeper. And after dying, they could also be used as lubricant to remove the excess pigments.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just pour liberally onto a cloth, test on conspicuous spot to make sure no discoloration, then smear all over your shoes. Wait dry or over night for absorption then buff.

I agree with the above for conditioners. Seems to be contrary to alot of SF advice, but it works. For creams and polish I prefer to add a little at a time though.

FelixTheFinn

Reaction score
Yes, OS Brush Up is very expensive, but it's good and it's great for conditioning. It polishes up to a nice, deep shine, too. As with all of these types of 'alternative' products, it really is important to test them out before you use them on light-coloured shoes. They will, for example, sometimes darken tan shoes.

I did buy some Lexol but haven't used it very much. It just seems to sit on the shelf. I know there are many who know very, very much more about shoes than I do and who recommend it. I did look into Bic 4 but (as I remember) I couldn't get it in the UK.

I tend to stick to brushing, with occasional use of Brush Up and very occasional use of Saphir, coloured, cream. For me, the most important thing is the brushing.
I bought it here in case you're interested in giving it a try.
http://www.healthyeurope.co.uk/bickmore-bick-4-leather-conditioner-16-ounce/?setCurrencyId=2

Felix

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

its the waxes (in this cases bees wax) that cracking off making the effect of "dusting" (make creasing areas look lighter)! Nothing to worry about!! just brush and with time it ll go away!

hope i helped a little bit :happy:

What about the black saphir cream would that get the job done or same effect?

Yeah, I checked it before but I have never heard of it before.  Do you like it?

Haven't tried but another member recommended it to me said it got the job done.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, and they are excellent leather dye base as well. Mix them with leather dye and paint away. They help leather dye penetrate deeper. And after dying, they could also be used as lubricant to remove the excess pigments.
I also have use it for streching my shoes and for the linings.
I agree with the above for conditioners. Seems to be contrary to alot of SF advice, but it works. For creams and polish I prefer to add a little at a time though.
+1

ircfas133

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

Since AE leather shoes are made of animals' skin. Would it be a good idea to apply hand cream or skin protectant on leather shoes (like AE PA) for better protection, etc.? I applied hand cream on my leather wallet before, it seems to restore its health a bit. At that time, I didn't have any shoe care products. But now I have AE shoe polish, leather conditioner, lotion, etc. Thus, my question boil down to:

hand cream or skin protectant for human skin vs. specially-formulated lotion/cream for shoe leathers

Just want to get your opinion and insights on this.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgeclinton