• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
There seems to be some reading comprehension issues in this thread. No one is "hating" on RRL. I actually just picked up four shirts, a cardigan, and two pairs of jeans, and a pair of boots over the last week. (I even posted pictures of me wearing the stuff). Not exactly hatred in any sens of the word. RRL is a decent value especially with the sales.

I simply mentioned that if you are going to wear jeans as a matte of wearable art there are better products to do it with. I don't care for such things but others do.and I understand that.

I would recommend The Strike Gold SG1109 for such wear. I have a pair and the quality and construction are outstanding and the price is not ridiculous. They have hidden rivets in the rear pocket folds which is a very nice touch. The rivets are all custom made for the jeans and have a copper outer ring and an iron inner which will start to rust with time and sweat and show through adding to the patina. The antique looms that they are woven on leave a lot of chatter marks which fades amazingly (if you are into such things) and looks different than most other jeans. They are quite heave so that may not be for everyone. I do have quite thick thighs so they are a little tight there but have started to soften up and break in over the last 6 months.

Anyway, those are some of my favorite and I'm sure other members have theirs.
There's no reading comprehension issue on my part. The post of mine that you quoted never claimed you were hating on RRL; I addressed exactly what you said.

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not going to import jeans from Japan or scour the net for months looking to get a deal on Rakuten, if you're going to go based on discount prices then you can get RRL raws on ebay for $175 or less and twice a year $40 at outlets. SE and BiG are both readily available and the pretty much the standard for US pricing so I'll go by that when making comparisons.

Hate Left Field and 3sixteen. PBJ and Sugar Cane are both great and generally more expensive.

RRL denim and construction IS that damn good, and you get higher prestige and brand cachet than going with unknown repro/heritage brands.

The crotch blowout and poor fading on the SG jeans just shows that they're neither "high-end" nor "masterpiece" jeans, they're just like most other Japan made jeans, overhyped and overpriced.

Edwin/ Big John are nice "value" jeans, but you'll have to import the good models from Europe/Japan. Very few US shops even carry them.

Its not really discount pricing you have to scour for though. A simple search will yield good results. http://www.and-japan.com/ for example is way cheaper than BiG or SE and has free shipping to the US, last time i ordered I got the order within 5 days of ordering. Same goes for last time I ordered off the English version of Rakuten. It was at my door in 4 days coming from Japan. SE and BiG are good for trying something on but if youre going to mailorder some denim then youre just lazy buying from them. RRL Raws are way better than most Japanese brands especially at the price point. I wouldnt put them at the top for construction or material but for fit I always go for them.
Those SG look like they were worn way too tight by a bike messenger.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my RRL shipment today.

Star Iron Shirt is unreal. The fabric is amazing. Fit feels like my Spellbound shirt - fitted like an old school workshirt.

Also got the wool buffalo-check cardigan and the zip-front trapper shirt. I love the wool on these - thick and soft. I really want to like it, but the trapper shirt is just a funny cut. The buffalo-check is awesome, but not sure if it's right for me, either.

Then was in a store today and scored this Black Label water resistant, hooded biker jacket on sale. This is really an amazing piece with a lot of details. Feels like oil cloth, but it's a water resistant cotton/poly blend. The cuffs are zip and snap with leather trim. Adjustable cords everywhere. Removable hood. Really awesome jacket

What size did you get in the Buffalo Plaid cardigan? I wanted it, I just didn't pull the trigger quickly enough. I'd be interested in it if it's a small.

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gambler and Plaid western while playing in a snow pile with my daughter

Last edited:

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my RRL shipment today.

Star Iron Shirt is unreal. The fabric is amazing. Fit feels like my Spellbound shirt - fitted like an old school workshirt.

Also got the wool buffalo-check cardigan and the zip-front trapper shirt. I love the wool on these - thick and soft. I really want to like it, but the trapper shirt is just a funny cut. The buffalo-check is awesome, but not sure if it's right for me, either.

Then was in a store today and scored this Black Label water resistant, hooded biker jacket on sale. This is really an amazing piece with a lot of details. Feels like oil cloth, but it's a water resistant cotton/poly blend. The cuffs are zip and snap with leather trim. Adjustable cords everywhere. Removable hood. Really awesome jacket

What size in the buffalo plaid cardigan did you get? I wanted that thing, just didn't pull the trigger fast enough. If it's a small, I'd be interested if you're not going to keep it.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rrlgambler

Reaction score
This is may have been answered already, but I does anyone know if they make RRL peices specifically for the outlets? I recently won an auction online for a cashmere shawl cardigan on ebay that was outlet tagged that felt significantly thinner than the same one I felt in the actual RRL store. The label reads the same but the weight of the cashmere is much thinner. Any thoughts...

rrlgambler

Reaction score
Oh, I don't really know, it says denim, so perhaps it is thick. The weave is just too intricate for my taste.
I would have to agree. When I initially saw the hoody posted on here my initial thoughts was that it looked terribly similar to a hoody I purchased for my girlfriend about a decade ago from Jcrew. So yes, it is kind of feminine. But then again as Adam Carroll says In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, I don't really know, it says denim, so perhaps it is thick.  The weave is just too intricate for my taste.

Oh I thought you were speaking from close up experience...

I like the pattern, and it seems very 'cool' - in the sense of absence of heat- and nice to wear in the summer.

DRCLARK16

Reaction score
Your star iron shirt, is it short enough in the length to where outside the pants or is it a must to where it tucked because of its length

RobearH

Reaction score
Your star iron shirt, is it short enough in the length to where outside the pants or is it a must to where it tucked because of its length
If fit is like the similar one from last year (black w/dots) is is very short and even more fitted then a western IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads