• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

osadolor619

Reaction score
The problem with the resellers who post exorbitant prices (some way above retail) is with the smaller sellers who look at these inflated prices and think they can jack up their prices as well rather than their sell items at decent markup based on cost. If someone buys something for $ 10 and can sell it for $ 20, that's a pretty good return. But with RRL and some other brand merchandise, they put up a wildly inflated price because they see the gougers ask 30-50x cost.

I wonder if they actually sell at those prices, or if a lot of sellers end up sitting on their items for months on end.

They're sitting on the ****... Check the completed listings of specific sellers.. **** isn't moving. That's where my original argument came from.. Lower your prices and **** will fly off their shelves. The demand isn't high enough to justify those prices.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

srgprod

Reaction score
They might. I think that dweeb w/o the face sits on stuff all the time. His prices are off the charts.

He's part of the problem. Other sellers see those inflated prices and swarm the outlets to grab every piece of RRL in sight. Why spend $ 15 on PRL jeans that you can only get $ 30 for, when you can spend the same on RRL and sell it for $ 150 or more.

The market becomes overpriced because of all the gouging.

I wonder if they actually sell at those prices, or if a lot of sellers end up sitting on their items for months on end.

jimmyfingers

Reaction score

The problem with the resellers who post exorbitant prices (some way above retail) is with the smaller sellers who look at these inflated prices and think they can jack up their prices as well rather than their sell items at decent markup based on cost. If someone buys something for $ 10 and can sell it for $ 20, that's a pretty good return. But with RRL and some other brand merchandise, they put up a wildly inflated price because they see the gougers ask 30-50x cost.

This is the exact problem I was talking about. Why would you list your 20 dollar jeans for 90 when everyone else is selling them for 280.

I used to buy most my stuff on ebay or here. Recently, I have been making all my purchases at RRL Melrose and using my discount. It works out to be cheaper than ebay or here in most cases

Dexter_

Reaction score

This is the exact problem I was talking about. Why would you list your 20 dollar jeans for 90 when everyone else is selling them for 280.

I used to buy most my stuff on ebay or here. Recently, I have been making all my purchases at RRL Melrose and using my discount. It works out to be cheaper than ebay or here in most cases

Employee discount?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Long time lurked joined 7/11?.. Nice try, racist.

No way that is him. He had nothing but disdain for outlet resellers, wouldn't touch the new stuff, and his vintage inventory is unparalleled.

Sometimes it works the other way around: some sellers buy bulk, sell cheaper, and undercut the overpriced competitors, which is why hanansi and some other sellers are still trying to unload stuff that cheaper sellers have long since gotten rid of. Note to hanansi: the market for $170 shirts already bought them at $60 from other sellers.

As a rule of thumb, always check what SF sellers are selling for before ebay. Prajna is a case in point. He often has awesome stuff and is selling for much cheaper than alot of ebay only sellers, like the wallets he was most recently selling for $100 less than some ebayers (RRL accessories belts and bags are especially ludicrously priced on ebay).

srgprod

Reaction score
+1

Sometimes it works the other way around: some sellers buy bulk, sell cheaper, and undercut the overpriced competitors, which is why hanansi and some other sellers are still trying to unload stuff that cheaper sellers have long since gotten rid of. Note to hanansi: the market for $170 shirts already bought them at $60 from other sellers.

As a rule of thumb, always check what SF sellers are selling for before ebay. Prajna is a case in point. He often has awesome stuff and is selling for much cheaper than alot of ebay only sellers, like the wallets he was most recently selling for $100 less than some ebayers (RRL accessories belts and bags are especially ludicrously priced on ebay).

Rangoe

Reaction score

I have a pair of these thanks to Stu00 and they're my favorite RRLs - from the wash to the fit, everything is perfect. I have some slim fits from other seasons that are a little tighter round the leg, or have other small issues such as extremely shallow pockets, but these are simply ideal. Highly recommended.

Rangoe

Reaction score
Resellers are more than welcome to jack up their prices. As others have mentioned, that doesn't mean you'll buy...and on the rare occasion, I've even paid a bit of a premium on something I really wanted.

However, when the prices are basically at MSRP, or in the case of people like blue present, often over MSRP, you wonder where their business sense is. There is always an ideal balance between volume & per-unit profitability, and I doubt folks like Blue Present really understand it. So much of their stock just sits there for 10, 12, 18 months. I'm sure they still turn a profit, maybe even a healthy one, but the cost of inventory is also extremely high, as is the opportunity cost.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of these thanks to Stu00 and they're my favorite RRLs - from the wash to the fit, everything is perfect. I have some slim fits from other seasons that are a little tighter round the leg, or have other small issues such as extremely shallow pockets, but these are simply ideal. Highly recommended.

You are welcome! :slayer:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Long time lurked joined 7/11?.. Nice try, racist.

As I'm relatively new to the RRL thread I'm interested who the racist is? :lurk:

Also, I think I want the Black on Blue in a low straight - nice pics NAMOR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads