• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

subdivide

Reaction score

Too much speculation in this thread. First, there is 5000+ RRL items on ebay and the same amount this time last year.. and the year before that. It's summer so every kid with $50 bux is on ebay trying to flip a pair of jeans and this is the off season for clothing in general. Even if Double RL sells online it will still be profitable to sell on ebay because it can be found on discount at outlets. If you compare the Double RL sellers to the POLO, RL67, Purple Label and RLX sellers you will see that it's 100 to 1 and they make MORE profit selling the other labels then RRL simply because the average bloke has no idea what Double RL is. POLO is as accessible as it gets (tjmaxx has racks of it) and there is still lots of demand from it worldwide and on ebay. You should thank god that ebay sellers exist, since half the guys on this forum just discovered RRL a few months ago and wouldn't have known about it without Ebay since there are no online websites.

causer, blue present, katerosev, the rl_store, hananasi and silvio all buy from outlets and all make $150-200,000 a year +. Small sellers can make $30-50,000 a year even if they have no clue what they are doing if they sell designer clothing and most of the time they can't even post listings with the correct measurements or proper grammar and don't forget the lulzy descriptions (this 24oz carpenter pant will keep you COMFORTABLE AND IN STYLE for years to come. everyone around you will wonder where you bought it..collectors item..only 10,000 made). Some of them pretend to be affiliated with PRL in some way when they're running a garage based business. There are some legit sellers on ebay who put a lot of time and effort into their listings and do actually own a real B&M store and sell lots of other trendy labels as well, so they deserve to be well compensated. You can tell the legit sellers from the shady ones just by looking at the listings and pictures and the way they respond (or lack of) to your questions.

I have seen blue_present at my local stores. He travels the country and goes to all the Polo stores and buys 400-500+ items each time and he shops alone. His name is Kyle and he has been doing it for 10 years, he's pretty well known and respected among the outlets by management and staff and never gets restricted on PSR or banned. Recognized the dude from his stupid poses off ebay. 5'6'', goatee, well built.

There is no 5 per customer PSR rule. If a manager restricts you can write to corporate and get the royal treatment. This is how sellers like the ones listed above are able to buy 1000s of items a month from the clearance section. Of course if there is a 5 per person rule you can always bring friends and family, or come at different times of the day but if you want to argue about it, there are ways to get results without the need of relying on semantics. I have never heard of a manager not allowing the purchase PSR at all or banning someone for buying PSR. There is no grounds for a ban, unless you tried to shoplift or smell really bad or start fights with customers. There are laws for consumers they have to follow. They can try to implement a limit but they can't prevent you from purchasing. The WORST they can say is "5 tops 5 bottoms, see you again tomorrow, have a nice day" If you get hostile treatment contact corporate immediately with the name of the manager (usually Loss Prevention is above the Store Manager.) Some sellers have family members and friends in high places at factory stores and they hoard it for them and will alert them to new arrivals and then receive compensation. I know this happens personally.

As for the salty scrubs in this thread complaining about resellers, go sleep outside a polo outlet yourself and invest a hundred thousand in merch and then see how easy it is to find and sell these items while dealing with ebay's bullshit policies. If you live near an outlet that's great for you, so hook it up (I'm tired of members talking about "spotting 100s of items at outlets" but when someone asks for a proxy they just DISAPPEAR), the rest of the world doesn't have access to Double RL. hell, if you put your mind to it you might even put other sellers out of business and start ******** money yourself. Better yet, go buy RRL at MSRP so there won't be that much overstock at the end of the season to pass down to outlets then there will be no more "seedy vultures" buying it for resale. In fact, i'd rather see Double RL selling for decent change on ebay then for $60 for a $400 item or $300 for a $1800 jacket. If everyone keeps asking for reasonable prices and discounts, the label will die. If you can't afford RRL go buy some POLO or CHAPS. You reap what you sow. It's people who flip it for chump change make RRL look cheap and ubiquitous. The ones who try to sell it at MSRP (Here's looking at you, blue_present) keep the label exclusive even though you all see them as douchebags. This thread used to be cool, until everyone started talking about outlets all the time and price gouging. Cry me a river.

/rant.
Great rant, totally agree and I'm excited that you've spotted "Kyle" in the wild. Real talk!

srgprod

Reaction score
With all the talk about high prices asked on Ebay, you can buy most of this off the self (and newer items) at the RRL/RL store sales. One was on recently. I bought a ton of stuff for much less than prices listed on ebay.

It sucks having to wait for a sale (2x a year) but it sure beats some of those outrageous posted prices from those resellers waiting for bids from overseas buyers.

Last edited:

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I posted here or not. but
Last year, at Camarillo outlet they had 7~8 boxes on the floor, with big boxes blue sticker "PSR" on it. It was all RRL. And there was a *********** sitting on the floor digging in the boxes to find his oxford sportshirts with pony on. Back then I had no idea what RRL was, and I though damn that is really expensive but who buys that **** for that much money. I can't believe I missed that, there were leather jackets, which retailed for like $1200 or something. Anyway, I just started this "Business" whatever you want to call it, and I actually love it, not because of money.

Last week, one of the manager of outlet asked me about RRL, and I guess he hates sellers. He told me that RRL's profit they are selling in outlets are very low. And General managers are directly responsible for store's sales(revenue) AND profit. And that store was extremely slow comparing to other outlet stores. He came up to me and said Brian(my name) from now on you are allow to buy 0 PSR items. and I was like what the ****? I'm not trying to shoplift or something or I wasn't smelling bad.

And it was just a couple days ago and I talked to RL customer associates and she reported it to higher management person.

I can file a lawsuit against this manager, and he's not even General manager, he's just an assistance manager who can applied for the job right after college. Anyway, waiting for RL management call/email me about this. will report it as soon as I receive the reply.

I mean, they don't have to sell me, but I felt personally discriminated and that was violation of consumer rights.

osadolor619

Reaction score
****.. Someone always has to ruin the conversation. Let's talk about sizing for the 9,375,987th time so that this thread is peaceful again...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got no issue with resellers. For some reason, some people have an issue with people making a living. There are plenty of people, and not just for RRL, who buy entire lots from big department stores or boutiques for resale on the secondary market. There is a lot of work involved, not everything sells, and they can actually lose money if they are not careful, just like any other business. Most people don't have access to outlets (I used to, but don't anymore) and no SA is going to patiently go through all of their merchandise for you. Resellers provide a service. I have the same rant about people who complain about vintage shops overcharging. It costs money to send people all over the country to swapmeets, garage sales, etc..., not to mention cleaning, reconditioning, merchandising, etc...

As for Ralph, well, I have an issue with his changing his name, pretending to be something he is not, etc... but not with his money or his cars. He worked hard, and made smart decisions, to get where he is now. That, and he was lucky. You can't begrudge a guy good luck.

Rangoe

Reaction score

Here are a couple pics of the "golden brown" wash, for whomever it was that requested them.

Interesting...I was told by an SA that the golden brown was only available in straight leg, and here I see you have it in slim bootcut.

Pisses me off because I ended up buying it in the straight leg cut, which I am not too fond of, because I thought I had no choice.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found black and blue jeans slim jeans, thanks to a member, in 30x32, on Ebay, and I pulled the trigger. I usually wear 31x32, and they fit pretty loose through the top block and seat (I can slide in and out of them without undoing any buttons) so these should fit a bit tighter (I should probably lose 10-15 lbs anyway.) I didn't pull the trigger for these at retail, and I'd called pretty much every store in the USA that carried RRL to find them. So, thanks, reseller.

osadolor619

Reaction score

I found black and blue jeans slim jeans, thanks to a member, in 30x32, on Ebay, and I pulled the trigger. I usually wear 31x32, and they fit pretty loose through the top block and seat (I can slide in and out of them without undoing any buttons) so these should fit a bit tighter (I should probably lose 10-15 lbs anyway.) I didn't pull the trigger for these at retail, and I'd called pretty much every store in the USA that carried RRL to find them. So, thanks, reseller.

.....? Alright.

el duderino

Reaction score

Interesting...I was told by an SA that the golden brown was only available in straight leg, and here I see you have it in slim bootcut.

Pisses me off because I ended up buying it in the straight leg cut, which I am not too fond of, because I thought I had no choice.

That's because the SA was telling you what was available from the current season. They did only came in straight leg for that wash, the slim boot was from FW.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got no issue with resellers. For some reason, some people have an issue with people making a living. There are plenty of people, and not just for RRL, who buy entire lots from big department stores or boutiques for resale on the secondary market. There is a lot of work involved, not everything sells, and they can actually lose money if they are not careful, just like any other business. Most people don't have access to outlets (I used to, but don't anymore) and no SA is going to patiently go through all of their merchandise for you. Resellers provide a service. I have the same rant about people who complain about vintage shops overcharging. It costs money to send people all over the country to swapmeets, garage sales, etc..., not to mention cleaning, reconditioning, merchandising, etc...

As for Ralph, well, I have an issue with his changing his name, pretending to be something he is not, etc... but not with his money or his cars. He worked hard, and made smart decisions, to get where he is now. That, and he was lucky. You can't begrudge a guy good luck.

You don't have a problem with any people making a living? What about tow truck drivers and repo men? What about bail bondsmen? Ticket scalpers? What about any number of bullshit little petty ***** who find a niche and exploit it until the market closes the hole? In the words of Repo Man (the movie, not the character): "Managing a band ain't no job for a man." Same can be said for the above.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with resellers, either. But that doesn't mean I can't ***** about prices or call something out when it's too expensive in my opinion. I like the fact that all this outlet stuff makes it to ebay, where I have access to it. The seller can list at whatever price they want, and I can call bullshit. It doesn't mean I think the guy is a crook; it just means I don't agree on price. So what? I don't buy it.

I can understand how the comments on this thread might seem whiny or negative. But it's really a bunch of guys who love this stuff, are looking to find it at a price they can afford, and are looking to get honest opinions about what things are worth, while at the same time sharing interesting finds. That last one includes both cool/funny/weird pieces and items that are good deals price-wise.

And I also think there is a genuine interest in the marketing and logistics that go around all of this. There is a certain curiosity in wondering why one seller prices something at $300 that another prices at $150. (As well as why the retail price was $800!)

Why is a bunch of catty clothes horses talking about prices such a big deal? The resellers set their own prices, and they know what they're doing. They realize that some people know the retail and sale prices of these items, and therefore won't buy from them - and possibly ***** about them. Do you think they care?

I don't think anyone should take the banter on here for more than it is.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with resellers, either. But that doesn't mean I can't ***** about prices or call something out when it's too expensive in my opinion. I like the fact that all this outlet stuff makes it to ebay, where I have access to it. The seller can list at whatever price they want, and I can call bullshit. It doesn't mean I think the guy is a crook; it just means I don't agree on price. So what? I don't buy it.

I can understand how the comments on this thread might seem whiny or negative. But it's really a bunch of guys who love this stuff, are looking to find it at a price they can afford, and are looking to get honest opinions about what things are worth, while at the same time sharing interesting finds. That last one includes both cool/funny/weird pieces and items that are good deals price-wise.

And I also think there is a genuine interest in the marketing and logistics that go around all of this. There is a certain curiosity in wondering why one seller prices something at $300 that another prices at $150. (As well as why the retail price was $800!)

Why is a bunch of catty clothes horses talking about prices such a big deal? The resellers set their own prices, and they know what they're doing. They realize that some people know the retail and sale prices of these items, and therefore won't buy from them - and possibly ***** about them. Do you think they care?

I don't think anyone should take the banter on here for more than it is.

I agree. But I figured that I should say my piece as well.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oooof, my Black on Blue Slim fits came in today but are too tight in the thigh. Sad, sad, sad :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads