• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oynag

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I saw your photo's initially, that's part of why I got interested in this jacket. Looks great, although by your description I'm pretty sure I should go with an S (I'm only a 5'10 150 lbs skinnyfat build myself). Now only to find one...

Yes, size down. It's an odd fit. I needed a smedium. Good luck!

aquila49

Reaction score
Hmmm, those shirts Gatsby's throwing around look suspiciously like Purple Label :sly:

My God, you're right! I checked the 2013 version and they also looked like Purple. Couldn't find the scene from the 1949 version, so we'll just have to go with F. Scott Fitzgerald's elegant prose:

“I’ve got a man in England who buys me clothes. He sends over a selection of things at the beginning of each season, spring and fall.”

He took out a pile of shirts and began throwing them, one by one, before us, shirts of sheer linen and thick silk and fine flannel, which lost their folds as they fell and covered the table in many-colored disarray. While we admired he brought more and the soft rich heap mounted higher — shirts with stripes and scrolls and plaids in coral and apple-green and lavender and faint orange, and monograms of Indian blue. Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.

“They’re such beautiful shirts,” she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such — such beautiful shirts before.”​

This time, words say far more than a picture … or a GIF.

McSp

Reaction score
I saw several of these at the La Jolla store, but they only have a size Large now. I'd call around and see who has it in stock, they're on sale for ~500 down from ~900 so its a pretty good deal.
Are they selling online too? What is their website? Thanks.

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score
My God, you're right! I checked the 2013 version and they also looked like Purple. Couldn't find the scene from the 1949 version, so we'll just have to go with F. Scott Fitzgerald's elegant prose:

“I’ve got a man in England who buys me clothes. He sends over a selection of things at the beginning of each season, spring and fall.”

He took out a pile of shirts and began throwing them, one by one, before us, shirts of sheer linen and thick silk and fine flannel, which lost their folds as they fell and covered the table in many-colored disarray. While we admired he brought more and the soft rich heap mounted higher — shirts with stripes and scrolls and plaids in coral and apple-green and lavender and faint orange, and monograms of Indian blue. Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.

“They’re such beautiful shirts,” she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such — such beautiful shirts before.”​

This time, words say far more than a picture … or a GIF.

Hah! I'd never read that before, it doesn't paint a very pleasing picture for Purple Label. It's quite funny how each of the Lauren men seem to represent each of the labels. David is Purple Lable, Andrew is Polo, but it's probably safe to say people on this thread probably prefer Ralph's.

Bethany Heck

Reaction score

Cooly

Reaction score
Last edited:

aquila49

Reaction score
In other news, (or perhaps it's already been talked about on this forum), a Proctor and Gamble president will be taking the helm of Ralph Lauren at the end of the month: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...-p-g-president-will.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Is it time for another round of the "The End of RRL" conspiracy theory jitters? more excuse for me to buy more this next season? :wow:

Does anyone else think this is a really stupid idea? The guy who's in charge of the Pantene and Head & Shoulders lines of SHAMPOO is going to turn Ralph Lauren around?

What kind of drugs are these people on?

This reminds me of the time Apple's Board of Directors hired Gil Amelio, the CEO of National Semiconductor to run Apple. Of course, someone who was successful selling a commodity—computer chips—was the obvious choice to run a diverse personal computer company. Amelio was more executioner than executive. By the time he was shown the door, Apple was close to flatlining. And the vultures were circling, waiting for the stock to fall to a bargain-basement price.

But Amelio did make one good move, even if it was purely accidental. He bought NeXT for $425 million, a deal that returned Steve Jobs to power and reversed Apple's fortunes.

Unfortunately for Ralph Lauren, the odds don't favor a last-minute rescue by an apparel-industry version of Steve Jobs.

Ghost01

Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is a really stupid idea? The guy who's in charge of the Pantene and Head & Shoulders lines of SHAMPOO is going to turn Ralph Lauren around?

This reminds me of the time Apple's Board of Directors hired Gil Amelio, the CEO of National Semiconductor to run Apple. Of course, someone who was successful selling a commodity—computer chips—was the obvious choice to run a diverse personal computer company. Amelio was more executioner than executive. By the time he was shown the door, Apple was close to flatlining. And the vultures were circling, waiting for the stock to fall to a bargain-basement price.

But Amelio did make one good move, even if it was purely accidental. He bought NeXT for $425 million, a deal that returned Steve Jobs to power and reversed Apple's fortunes.

Unfortunately for Ralph Lauren, the odds don't favor a last-minute rescue by an apparel-industry version of Steve Jobs.

Or you could see it as a shrewd business move - get a proven business leader with strong strategic distribution knowledge of a global company that will concentrate on building the business but allow the creative side (Ralph) freedom to continue what he does best. The biggest growth in RL history was when Ralph was creative and Roger Farah was running the business under radar.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or you could see it as a shrewd business move - get a proven business leader with strong strategic distribution knowledge of a global company that will concentrate on building the business but allow the creative side (Ralph) freedom to continue what he does best. The biggest growth in RL history was when Ralph was creative and Roger Farah was running the business under radar.

I agree with you. You don't need subject matter expertise to be an effective executive if you surround yourself with people who do have subject matter expertise. It certainly helps, but by no means is it necessary.

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score

Anybody who's seen the non RRL line up on the Website will know the rot has well and truly started to take hold of the aesthetic as well. The company seems to have truly lost its way, design wise. Anyone with kids who was a fan of Rugby (or even of Polo a few years ago) can still dress them like little versions of themselves from 2011, since Lee Norwood still seems to have sway there.

Polo seems to be a weird hybrid of Uniqlo/Gap/Everlane/Black Label that doesn't know what it's trying to do. Purple Label is as bizarre as ever, looking like the costume of choice for anyone wanting to LARP as a real life super villain. RRL seems to be the only thing worth having. People here were worried that RRL might get the axe when the H&M guy took over, now the real concern is the entire company going down the drain and taking RRL with it (not soon, but maybe eventually).

I didn't mention Denim & Supply for similar reasons that Vincent Vega didn't visit Burger King.

Cooly

Reaction score
Anybody who's seen the non RRL line up on the Website will know the rot has well and truly started to take hold of the aesthetic as well. The company seems to have truly lost its way, design wise. Anyone with kids who was a fan of Rugby (or even of Polo a few years ago) can still dress them like little versions of themselves from 2011, since Lee Norwood still seems to have sway there.

Polo seems to be a weird hybrid of Uniqlo/Gap/Everlane/Black Label that doesn't know what it's trying to do. Purple Label is as bizarre as ever, looking like the costume of choice for anyone wanting to LARP as a real life super villain. RRL seems to be the only thing worth having. People here were worried that RRL might get the axe when the H&M guy took over, now the real concern is the entire company going down the drain and taking RRL with it (not soon, but maybe eventually).

I didn't mention Denim & Supply for similar reasons that Vincent Vega didn't visit Burger King.
Well...I think we are still seeing the effects of the last CEO...have no idea, but from what I can see/surmise, he was trying to squash all the brands into either polo or purple (for mens at least)...including RRL...so that's why you see this weird amalgamation now. My only hope is a P&G guy was brought on board for the know how to build several different brands within one company: Purple, RRL, Polo, Polo Sport...etc. Ralph said publicly the problem he had with the last guy was how he was trying to bring the company to market.

aquila49

Reaction score

I stand by my impression—right or laughably wrong. Soap isn't denim and polo shirts. You can't refresh this brand with strategic distribution. The market space is too fickle and constantly shifting. I would have preferred some young turk who's grown a clothing brand and understands what motivates consumers. Even then, there's no guarantee of success.

This selection is the typical yo-yo dynamic. (Much like my history with wives.) RL tried to go with someone who was industry-specific, Larson, and that choice fizzled. Now the company is going in the opposite direction—choosing a generalist, someone who's sold a lot of widgets. (Hence, the Amelio example.) Sure, Ralph might retain creative control but is that what will save the brand?

Louvet might cause a bump that will make the stock attractive in the short term, but I can't see him righting this ship for a longer haul.

Corporations are like organisms—they grow, thrive and ultimately die, making way for new individuals and species. It's not a bad thing. But we care because we want our favorite brand to continue year after year so we can continue to stuff our closets with faux military/worker garments that bring us joy.

Who knows? In 20 years we might be printing our clothes at home and market success will depend on cut-and-sew algorithms.

I would love it if Louvet is successful, but I'm not betting on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics