• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know as well. Did the chinos go on sale last year?

alex99

Reaction score

nope they're a part of the 'icon' line--items that never go on sale

last night I went to school with two shorts and underwear under my rrl raws, with hand towels stuffed in the pockets. they had been too tight and i wanted to loosen em up. it worked, surprisingly, since i've worn them for several weeks already. the things we do for our denim.

Are you sure about icon never going on sale, or do you mean just icon jeans? I typed in "icon" on the rl website and looked at the 133 results. There were plenty of cheaper tshirts and waffle crew necks that I always see marked down come sale time.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bah, thanks

love the look of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Laure...904?pt=US_CSA_MC_Sweaters&hash=item27d96a1df8

missed out on the RRL version a couple season ago. can anyone speak to the denim & supply line quality?

Last edited:

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D&S is noticeably lower in quality than RRL with cheaper materials and construction.

amapola11

Reaction score
D&S is noticeably lower in quality than RRL with cheaper materials and construction.

Although D&S targets similar clients as RRL, there is no comparison in the quality of the garments. RRL by far pays full attention to execution and finish.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
some of the seasonal chinos go on sale but the standard core lineup does not. so no twill officer chinos.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although D&S targets similar clients as RRL, there is no comparison in the quality of the garments. RRL by far pays full attention to execution and finish.

Not really - D&S targets teenagers and college students while RRL targets an older clientele (25-35) with more disposable income given the pricing.

NAMOR, D&S is probably similar to Rugby or something in quality. If the price is right get the sweater

Last edited:

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought my selvedge officer ones last year 25% off during Giving in Style

I wish I was living in the States! I had to pay the full wack GBP 235/= for my British khaki officers chinos! No discounts here in the UK!

Last edited:

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really - D&S targets teenagers and college students while RRL targets an older clientele (25-35) with more disposable income given the pricing.

NAMOR, D&S is probably similar to Rugby or something in quality. If the price is right get the sweater

Rugby targeted College students. D&S targets bohemians and hipsters (who listen to eurotrash like Avicii.) Most of D&S is garbage, but they make some occasional high end stuff like rigid selvedge jeans and patchwork shirts and some outerwear that would fit right at home with RRL (like that Aran cable knit), those pieces can get pricey as well. I've seen D&S peacoats for $600.

25 is older clientele? I always assumed the average age for RRL (with the exception of the Asian market.. and 1% forum goers/workwear "enthusiasts") is around 40-50+

Not all RRL is high quality either. I've had corduroy trousers who's snap fasteners have torn off when I yanked on the pocket flap, or don't snap/misaligned, shirts/overalls where buttons fell off or were not stitched on in the first place. RRL pays more attention to quality and details, fit and finish, than their competitors, lower end labels, but it's not leaps and bounds anymore like it used to be.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MasonTMorris

Reaction score
This is completely off topic, but Avicii is by no means "Euro trash".

Now, to stay somewhat on topic, I'm not really a fan of of RRL or D&S. The prices are a little outrageous to me, along with the fact that most of their stuff doesn't fit with my style whatsoever. When it comes to jeans, I typically wear basic Levi 505s, but I own a pair from a new brand that is based in my hometown. They aren't cheap by any means, but they're 100% handmade right here in Raleigh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads