• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people actually buy Black Label? Ive handled some of their jeans recently and they were $495, made in Turkey, not selvedge and horrible cheapo wash. The rest of the label looks like a joke too. PLRL is also lulzy with their $300 polos and $500 oxfords. I dunno maybe I am just too poor and dont get it.

A lot of people talk about "quality" on styleforum but quality can be expensive. RRL is pretty expensive relative to all of Ralph Lauren's other lines (only Black Label and Purple Label are comparable on cost), so quality should be better than Denim and Supply. Denim and Supply is typically priced lower than the "Polo Ralph Lauren" line. I'm sure that line has some gems that provide great value, especially on sale (I've never examined the merchandise).

However, it's a terrible thing that they've done to that block on University. The Rugby Store there was well styled. People seemed to like carrying around the blue and yellow Rugby bags as well.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Do people actually buy Black Label? Ive handled some of their jeans recently and they were $495, made in Turkey, not selvedge and horrible cheapo wash. The rest of the label looks like a joke too. PLRL is also lulzy with their $300 polos and $500 oxfords. I dunno maybe I am just too poor and dont get it.

i like their suits. slim cut, decent quality, modern cut anchored in traditional styling

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks guys. ill pull the trigger on that D&S sweater and report back. at $100 i dont think i can complain if it turns out sub-par. from the pics, the material looks great and I really love the aran weave. i think D&S would have to go out of their way to **** up that sweater

Baldomero

Reaction score
Do people actually buy Black Label?

This is Black Label, and the buffalo nickels used as buttons are real antiques:

Also, I was able to handle the below jeans and I must say it was much more amazing and palatable in person (though still not that versatile, admittedly) it singlehandedly changed the way I thought about resinated denim:

What RRL is to selvage denim, Black Label is to resinated denim. Though I do get that people don't like that. Also, I have a blue micro-gingham version of the Bond Shirt that is terrific, though, like RRL, it is tough to justify any of this for full price. Except that leather jacket.

Last edited:

Baldomero

Reaction score
Holy ****. I just had to look up Avicii to get an idea of what you guys are banging on about. Listened to "Wake Me Up", its the worst garbage imaginable.

At about minute in I started to think that the clothes the chick wears looked familiar, and then I saw the saddle...http://cdnd.lystit.com/photos/2012/...t-product-1-4586726-821856373_large_flex.jpeg

And the gratuitous branding...

Ralph Lauren most likely financed every aspect of this video, including paying for the model (a top-rate Ralph Lauren model, the horse, the actors, the location, the clothes, and possibly even the song. Music videos now usually have several cell phone/headphone product placements and films are full of them, even base their plots around them (See: Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, This Is the End's Milky Way scene), so I think they can be forgiven for flashing their brand a couple of times for 2 seconds.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isnt a buffalo nickle worth like five bucks?

I didnt know Black label made western. RL is just all over the place these days.

Marshalls had that exact jacket in blue label sans buffalo buttons in xs and large.... Down from two grand to five hundred. They have been sitting there for weeks, along with similarly priced blue label bomber jacket.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yo wassup baby what tuney tunes you be listen' tu? nahmeaN?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just glad the weather in austin is finally cool enough to break out the baja

Denim

Reaction score

Isnt a buffalo nickle worth like five bucks?

I didnt know Black label made western. RL is just all over the place these days.

Marshalls had that exact jacket in blue label sans buffalo buttons in xs and large.... Down from two grand to five hundred. They have been sitting there for weeks, along with similarly priced blue label bomber jacket.

The pictures are Black Label Denim, they do have some western shirts and Etc with that sub brand. More experimental than the regular black label product.

It's sort of like a mesh between RRL's rugged feel with a black label sleek twist to it.

Trimalchio

Reaction score
I just bought the Straight Leg Repaired Denim. I found them on ebay so thankfully didn't pay full price.

Two unrelated questions/issues:

1. They are a 34" inseam but feel (and measure) about a full inch shorter than all my other jeans with the same inseam. Is there anything I can do about this, e.g. will it stretch over time? I have 15+ pairs of RRL jeans so I'm not exactly new to this, but haven't noticed it being an issue before... they definitely haven't been hemmed either (I can tell).

2. The paint splotches are bit extreme to me. Yes, this is the look I bought, but I was wondering if there is a way to scrape it off a bit just to tone it down? Or will the paint rub off over time? Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Baldomero

Reaction score
1. They are a 34" inseam but feel (and measure) about a full inch shorter than all my other jeans with the same inseam. Is there anything I can do about this, e.g. will it stretch over time? I have 15+ pairs of RRL jeans so I'm not exactly new to this, but haven't noticed it being an issue before... they definitely haven't been hemmed either (I can tell).
2. The paint splotches are bit extreme to me. Yes, this is the look I bought, but I was wondering if there is a way to scrape it off a bit just to tone it down? Or will the paint rub off over time? Has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks
They're not going to get longer, no denim does. The closest thing you can do is get them wet and pull as apart as hard as you can.

Just clean them man, no big deal. No need to wait for the paint to rub off if you want it more subtle right now. I have that same pair and I doubt I'll ever clean them though, they're sick as is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads