• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really wondering about this place. I don't care about the decor or environs (assuming at least safe!), however, what's with all the truffle oils, etc.? Usually that makes me wonder about the freshness of the fish, yet, Go's Mart is prided on the quality of the fish, and the variety. Some of the rolls look downright nasty (albacore special roll looks like something I'd pick up at a local supermarket!).

Only Jet can settle this.

He does put truffle oil and some sea salt on a lot of the sushi. By no means is it drenched in it, nor does it mask the fishes taste, but it is there.

The location is fine. It is in a mini mall in Canoga Park/West Hills. If you're in the area, and or live in the Valley it is worth a visit. Won't blow your mind, but it is a quality spot.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
don't think i'll be in the area any time soon or make an effort to go sadly

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Hiko Sushi? Anyone been there? It was recently recommended by the Chef of Hinoki & The Bird.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Hour at Mom's bar in SaMo… :slayer: Great dive.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To you sushi guys, I went on an omakase odyssey a couple weeks ago including Mori Sushi twice and Shunji twice as well. Other spots were Sushi Sushi, Sushi Tsujita, and Q! Sushi.

My favorite was Mori Sushi, due to the purity of ingredients, excellent rice (shari if you're a snob like me), and they had the best stuff each evening. Shunji was a second place, sort of like the brooding, dark brother of Mori. I'm more of a nigiri guy, so Mori is stronger in that realm, although Shunji's soups and other creations are really a visual treat.

Sushi Sushi was a balls-out feast of old-school sashimi (think spiny lobster, oysters, etc.) and nigiri (lots of toro, etc.). Portion sizes are massive for LA.

Tsujita has a lot going for it, although I didn't like that the head chef does not create the nigiri rather heads up the operation while overseeing the rice. Some interesting dishes such as Shirako were wonderful, however.

Q! Sushi was a misstep, but downtown LA was such a disaster. The people next to me should have eaten at McDonald's not a high-end sushi bar. That said, some of the purity of flavors were impressive, although I'm not as big on white fish and the service had so many kinks.

(I've done the Sushi Zo, Sasabune thing to death, but warm rice can be fun. Urasawa is still another level, but I don't consider it a sushi restaurant, per se.)

Next up on my list is Go's Mart.

JL77

Reaction score
Prime Pizza on Fairfax (same owners as Golden State/Bludso's North/Cofax) has the best New York style pizza I've had in LA. Anything else I should check out?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Just moved here from Texas, living in Silver Lake area. Anybody down to play basketball once a week?

Welcome, man. I'd offer to at least meet for a pick-up game, but you're way the hell on the other side of town. (That said, Silverlake is cool neighborhood as long as it's reasonably close to work or school or whatever you've got going on.)

Prime Pizza on Fairfax (same owners as Golden State/Bludso's North/Cofax) has the best New York style pizza I've had in LA. Anything else I should check out?

Pizza-wise, or generally? If the latter, can you narrow it down to a handful of interests or preferences? It's a pretty big town for a question that broad . . .

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prime Pizza on Fairfax (same owners as Golden State/Bludso's North/Cofax) has the best New York style pizza I've had in LA.

Good to know, I've been meaning to try Prime out! I'll just have to be ready to bob-and-weave through the swarms of Odd Future tee, snapback wearing, more advanced smartphone than me skateboarding youngins' on Fairfax

Speaking of pizza - I know its been around forever but I finally ate some slices at Two Boots (Echo Park location, if that makes a difference) - I loved it. It's taking over my Tomato Pie recommendation go-to quick stop pizza category. For now.

Edit: I got all hyped up and decided to stop at Prime after work. I jumped on their site to read their menu and fantasize what I was going to order - but they are closed on Mondays. Looks like it's Campbell's Chunky Soup tonight. Again

Last edited:

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome, man. I'd offer to at least meet for a pick-up game, but you're way the hell on the other side of town. (That said, Silverlake is cool neighborhood as long as it's reasonably close to work or school or whatever you've got going on.)
Pizza-wise, or generally? If the latter, can you narrow it down to a handful of interests or preferences? It's a pretty big town for a question that broad . . .

Oh man. I would totally be down if I was still living there. But I do visit often.

Marshall High School probably still has pickup games but those are outdoors. They usually play on Saturday around lunch.

piluchavez

Reaction score

Thanks lawyerdad, yeah I work downtown while my girlfriend works in Brentwood. We moved because I landed a job first but after our leases is up later this year we'll probably move further west.

Thanks for the rec, djblisk, I'll have to check out Marshall HS.

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are definitely games at the outdoor court next to the dog park at the reservoir.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Time to wake this thread up.

Dine LA this week. Any recs?

I realize this is only marginally responsive to your question, but my advice would be to stay away from the Dine LA thing. In my limited experience it's kind of a clusterfuck. Go to the restaurants you want to try when they're back in normal operation.

:cheers:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrieMeyers