• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess who has been quarantined for the past 2 days due to the sig. other testing positive for COVID?
Hope it clears fast! I had it last summer and Paxlovid knocked it down quickly.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Aram's website:
20230204_074424.jpg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know for sure, but it seemed like when Aram left sky valet, sky valet started restricting their cobbler business.

Also, I’m not sure if Aram & his brother had a falling out. As I understand it, they’re on good terms & talk regularly, but Aram wanted his own shop which is understandable.

I remember Aram thought about stocking Vass when he had his own shop (ah one shoes), for various reasons, Aram eventually shut down his own shop located in Springfield, VA. Also, if I was you, I’d take the discounted vass shoes & get the current ones resoled. If you look on his website, he does blind welt resoling

Blind stitch and handwelting are different. Blind stitch the sole is sliced and peeled back before the sole is sewn to the welt. Then, it is glued back down to make the sole smooth without visible stitching.

Handwelting is when a channel is cut and then the cordwainer or cobbler sews the welt and midsole together by hand and then the welt and outsole by hand. This is different than a goodyear welted shoe which uses gemming or a rib (canvas) that is glued to secure the midsole. The welt itself is still attached by hand to the upper and midsole, but the gemming helps prevent separation. The security of the handwelted shoes is because of the channel.

I'm sure Aram can do both, but even the cost of a blind stitched sole is not the same as the cost of handwelting. Anyone looking for handwelting should call or email him for the price quote.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went to Keens Steakhouse and it was great:

Oh fancy. I do enjoy a good steakhouse but I never go for the steaks. Mostly for the ambience, cocktails, and desserts. I find myself gravitating more towards ethnic cuisines these days.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh fancy. I do enjoy a good steakhouse but I never go for the steaks. Mostly for the ambience, cocktails, and desserts. I find myself gravitating more towards ethnic cuisines these days.
Same here. Asian fusion tonight. Other than the occasional Filet I’m seafood, Indian, or Asian chow. Enjoying a Rye Manhattan in Manhattan as wifey naps before dinner. Posted in watch thread too. Successful visit to Crockett & Jones and Hopper exhibit today!

14478BB2-15CF-4817-ABD9-E5EC2D4EBDC1.jpeg
77615465-DC7F-49C7-9BAD-A00350615286.jpeg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you DC guys have any good Georgian options? Boston doesn't, so when I am in NYC I often hit one up. My current pick of the handful is Oda House - it is a little out of the way, I think between 1st and 2nd on E 73rd, maybe even further East.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you DC guys have any good Georgian options? Boston doesn't, so when I am in NYC I often hit one up. My current pick of the handful is Oda House - it is a little out of the way, I think between 1st and 2nd on E 73rd, maybe even further East.
Georgian? Supra - it’s been a while since I’ve been but last time I went, it was good.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second Supra. I have absolutely no basis for how authentic it is, but I enjoyed it immensely.
A long time ago, I was talking to a girl who lived in Georgia for 3-4 years. she Recommended it. So take that for what it’s worth.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A (substantial) Rye Manhattan in….Albany. Headed to VT for a few days of skiing. A bit nervous as there was zero snow on the trip so far. Albany a bit bleak but it’s dark and cold. Wish I had more time to explore here.

Fitting in casually with Luciano Barbera flannel shirt and Kiton jeans.

Attachments

• D45F58C4-3F14-4B96-B6B9-0E111B149687.jpeg
    D45F58C4-3F14-4B96-B6B9-0E111B149687.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 21

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads