• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Linea PItti in Dupont last week getting some alterations done on several pairs of trousers I got from Dapper Classics (brown flannel, light gray hopsack, blue linen). The proprietor, Ihsan Dura, does full bespoke and I looked at some of the pieces he was working on. Very very nice. He said his preferred fabrics are from Holland and Sherry and price is around $4k for a 2-piece suit.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a hand warmer I would have put it in my pants...

They come in like packs of 50.... enough for inside both boots, gloves or jacket pockets (or both) and two in the trou if you want

I am going have bespoke camping underwear made with "warmer pockets" built in

1647275837855.png

Rickr

Reaction score
What did you end up getting for him?

good idea to try them out in person on how they feel in hand etc

Fahrney's Pens is a good store if you're downtown.
Also, if you're near Columbia, MD, check out The Pen Boutique: https://www.penboutique.com/
Both stores have excellent selections, helpful and knowledgeable staff, and will allow you to try out any pen you like.

Mont Blanc has the most recognizable fashion logo, with the classic white snow-capped-peak on the crown of the cap. That's why they charge $400+, but their pens are really no better than any other good fountain pen. You're buying it for the way it looks in your pocket, rather than the way it writes.

IMO the three main Japanese brands, Pilot, Sailor, and Platinum, make the highest-quality fountain pens. Which one is "best" depends on how they feel to you. Personally, the Pilot Custom 74 fits me perfectly, but others will swear by the Platinum 3776 or the Sailor 1911. All of them are around the $200 mark, and all have gold nibs.

If you really don't want to spend that much, then you will be looking for a pen with a stainless steel nib rather than a gold one. There is disagreement about whether a gold nib writes any better than a steel one, and it's certainly fair to say that neither one of them is necessarily smoother than the other. In my experience, having used fountain pens on a semi-regular basis for the past 20 years, the gold nibs will conform to your writing style over time, because they're more malleable than steel. It's a very small difference, and it only matters if you're actually going to use the pen, but it makes a difference to me. YMMV, of course.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Also, if you're near Columbia, MD, check out The Pen Boutique: https://www.penboutique.com/
Both stores have excellent selections, helpful and knowledgeable staff, and will allow you to try out any pen you like.

Mont Blanc has the most recognizable fashion logo, with the classic white snow-capped-peak on the crown of the cap. That's why they charge $400+, but their pens are really no better than any other good fountain pen. You're buying it for the way it looks in your pocket, rather than the way it writes.

IMO the three main Japanese brands, Pilot, Sailor, and Platinum, make the highest-quality fountain pens. Which one is "best" depends on how they feel to you. Personally, the Pilot Custom 74 fits me perfectly, but others will swear by the Platinum 3776 or the Sailor 1911. All of them are around the $200 mark, and all have gold nibs.

If you really don't want to spend that much, then you will be looking for a pen with a stainless steel nib rather than a gold one. There is disagreement about whether a gold nib writes any better than a steel one, and it's certainly fair to say that neither one of them is necessarily smoother than the other. In my experience, having used fountain pens on a semi-regular basis for the past 20 years, the gold nibs will conform to your writing style over time, because they're more malleable than steel. It's a very small difference, and it only matters if you're actually going to use the pen, but it makes a difference to me. YMMV, of course.
Thank you so much! Definitely helpful!

I was actually looking at some Pilot pens... I was unaware of the other two you suggested, but i will look into them as well.

I was actually leaning towards a rollerball pen... seen so many reviews saying that if you plan to carry the pen in a pocket of a suit, etc fountain pens might not be the best as they leak. I def wont want an ink all over my shirt and suit... Hence rollerball option since it is sort of in between fountain and ballpoint. Unless of course I want to leave my nice pen at home to write at my desk, which might be a bad idea considering the cost :)

and yeah, a buddy of mine gave me his Mont Blanc to try... i was not blown away to justify $500 cost. I am comfortable at 100-200 mark for a nice pen so yours def fit my budget. thank you!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Definitely helpful!

I was actually looking at some Pilot pens... I was unaware of the other two you suggested, but i will look into them as well.

I was actually leaning towards a rollerball pen... seen so many reviews saying that if you plan to carry the pen in a pocket of a suit, etc fountain pens might not be the best as they leak. I def wont want an ink all over my shirt and suit... Hence rollerball option since it is sort of in between fountain and ballpoint. Unless of course I want to leave my nice pen at home to write at my desk, which might be a bad idea considering the cost :)

and yeah, a buddy of mine gave me his Mont Blanc to try... i was not blown away to justify $500 cost. I am comfortable at 100-200 mark for a nice pen so yours def fit my budget. thank you!
I got nice rollerball pens for my son. I've had fountain pens before and they do leak. Best avoided unless you leave them on your desk.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
I got nice rollerball pens for my son. I've had fountain pens before and they do leak. Best avoided unless you leave them on your desk.
100% agree!

i tried few rollerball pens and I def like them over ballpoint.. almost like fountain, but yeah, not the same as you can't change the thickness of the line with them, etc

but yeah, i would like to have a functional pen in my pocket suit or pants to have it on the go with me... esp now that i dont feel like touching other pens at stores, etc to sign something, would like to carry my own. and like you mentioned fountain pens do leak and people who enjoy journaling etc, like to keep them on their desk

right now i have fisher space pen that i carry super small and cheap, but i would like to have something nicer when i am dressed up

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I've had fountain pens before and they do leak. Best avoided unless you leave them on your desk.
As an collector and user of fountain pens since 2007, I disagree with this general statement 🖋

That said, there are exceptions in my experience - I had five antique FPs from the 1930s that were "incontinent". I traded/sold those.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
ps. I was told to consider/try Waterman Expert/Hemisphere. French pen and relatively inexpensive of 50-100 range.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an collector and user of fountain pens since 2007, I disagree with this general statement 🖋

That said, there are exceptions in my experience - I had five antique FPs from the 1930s that were "incontinent". I traded/sold those.
My data points are few, admittedly. I've owned two and they both leaked a little, mostly on my hand. Kind of put me off to fountain pens in general.

Rickr

Reaction score
ps. I was told to consider/try Waterman Expert/Hemisphere. French pen and relatively inexpensive of 50-100 range.

Good idea - Waterman makes good pens. With rollerball pens, look-and-feel is everything, so try whatever strikes your fancy.

I have a higher tolerance for inky fingers than others do, so I don't mind if a fountain pen leaks a little. That being said, not all fountain pens leak, unless you're taking them on an airplane where the changes in cabin pressure can do interesting things to the ink reservoir.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Worth looking into on both fronts. From my collection, hands down the Japanese and French FPs are my most reliable writers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads