• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on "luxury" pens? I've run out of my pre-covid supply at my apartment and starting to consider buying some high quality pen (hopefully something I remember not to lose). I'm thinking max $25 which isn't luxury per se but certainly not your typical corner store purchase. I'm literally penless right now so I guess a cheap purchase is in the offing tomorrow to tide me over. Would appreciate any suggestions or purchase guides especially since I may have to purchase online (i'm considering farhney's downtown if I do stop in somewhere). I am open to fountain pens although I do not have experience with them.

I know it is above your requested price range, but I am looking at one of these,

Hi friends,

I just joined, live in Great Falls, spend entirely too much on Billy Reid, japanese denim, and vintage boots. In fact, I have a pair of Vibergs, never worn, that are too big and available: https://www.reddit.com/r/Shoeexchange/comments/hlqn6z/wts_viberg_service_boot_1052030_bnib/

Happy to join this community and look forward to getting to know some of you.

Welcome!

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Speaking of LUXURY PENS, the first pen that came to my mind was Mont Blanc fountain pens. We got one for his retirement present. I tried writing with it but I don't get it. I think ink pens from Staples is good enough for me.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of LUXURY PENS, the first pen that came to my mind was Mont Blanc fountain pens. We got one for his retirement present. I tried writing with it but I don't get it. I think ink pens from Staples is good enough for me.

Not picking on you, because I do this myself, but I always get a laugh when someone who is into watches or clothes or bikes or whatever says “I don’t get it” about another hobby. Fountain pens and fancy watches and expensive menswear and high end stereo equipment and and and...are all exactly the same thing.

Guarantee there’s some guy on a fountain pen forum tonight saying “I don’t get why anyone would pay more than $100 for a pair of shoes. My Nunn Bush from Macy’s are just fine”

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not picking on you, because I do this myself, but I always get a laugh when someone who is into watches or clothes or bikes or whatever says “I don’t get it” about another hobby. Fountain pens and fancy watches and expensive menswear and high end stereo equipment and and and...are all exactly the same thing.

Guarantee there’s some guy on a fountain pen forum tonight saying “I don’t get why anyone would pay more than $100 for a pair of shoes. My Nunn Bush from Macy’s are just fine”
:crackup:
As a clothing guy and a fountain pen guy, I have met both these types of culprits...

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on "luxury" pens? I've run out of my pre-covid supply at my apartment and starting to consider buying some high quality pen (hopefully something I remember not to lose). I'm thinking max $25 which isn't luxury per se but certainly not your typical corner store purchase. I'm literally penless right now so I guess a cheap purchase is in the offing tomorrow to tide me over. Would appreciate any suggestions or purchase guides especially since I may have to purchase online (i'm considering farhney's downtown if I do stop in somewhere). I am open to fountain pens although I do not have experience with them.

My mother forced me to write with fountain pens damn near until high school because she believed using them would improve my handwriting.

It didn't.

However I became a minor celebrity in 5th grade once I realised that by quickly flicking the pen it would throw ink across the room. Guys would borrow my pen, silently ink up other kids backs and then give it back to me.

Over the years I have had a bunch: Cross, Faber Castell, Parker, Pentel, Shaeffer, Waterman, but they all seemed to have disappeared. I had a vintage sterling silver Tiffany ballpoint with fancy scrollwork that disappeared on me in college.
I used to carry a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck fountain pen/rollerball set after college but ended up losing the rollerball in a bar after signing my tab and a random girl kept the other after giving me her phone number.

sad.

Currently I have an old chocolate brown Parker Duofold NS fountain pen that dates back to the 1940s and is none too fancy but it belonged to my grandfather so it has sentimental value. I've been debating on restoring it but...priorities.

You have to figure out whether you prefer slim or chunky pens. Then you have to figure out if you prefer metal, resin or wood construction. Go for a rollerball first as they are more practical. If not used regularly the ink in fountain pens will dry up around the nib and clog.

I'll keep my eyes open for some decent yet not cheesy looking ones

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do I think about the NMWA gun check sport coat when compared to the gun checks at Spier & Mackay, which are a fraction of the price? I know full canvas vs. partial canvas is a piece of the difference, but aside from that is the quality that much different? I don't have any NMWA stuff but do have S&M sport coats, so I'm very curious.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Metro to the office in Chinatown for the first time since March. My tie knotting skills have seriously deteriorated...
20200707_092048.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you bought the NMWA gun check sport coat?

Guilty ;)

With LuxeSwap credit, I paid around $181 for the jacket and a Tie Your Tie square.

And, as with every summer over the past few years, I say again... "No more tan, brown, or beige spring/summer sport jackets!" *

*Until next year...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guilty ;)

With LuxeSwap credit, I paid around $181 for the jacket and a Tie Your Tie square.

And, as with every summer over the past few years, I say again... "No more tan, brown, or beige spring/summer sport jackets!" *

*Until next year...
It’s good to know I’m not alone with that mindset! I think the weather, more than a full closet, is having a larger impact on my clothes purchases. It’s just so hot and humid here I never wear jackets casually in the summer anymore unless we’re going to more upscale restaurants.

Also, it’s hard to imagine eating inside again until next year or whenever a viable vaccine comes online.

Sigh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads