• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with baseball and basketball to me. It’s football that’s beginning a slow death spiral. It’s insanely exciting, no arguments there, but I think it will fade over time to another Red State/Blue State friction point.

The Atlantic has some excellent writing on the racial dynamics as well.

Anyway, enough killjoy talk from me. Actually at work this week and happy to be back in CM!

I suspect over the years, football will go the way of boxing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with baseball and basketball to me. It’s football that’s beginning a slow death spiral. It’s insanely exciting, no arguments there, but I think it will fade over time to another Red State/Blue State friction point.

The Atlantic has some excellent writing on the racial dynamics as well.

Anyway, enough killjoy talk from me. Actually at work this week and happy to be back in CM!
I suspect over the years, football will go the way of boxing.

I could talk about this stuff for days. You will need a sport that steals away all the great athletes away from football.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could talk about this stuff for days. You will need a sport that steals away all the great athletes away from football.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe enough parents just refuse to let their kids play football and the sport atrophies. Those talented athletes are directed into other sports by mom and dad and never get a chance to decide they want to play football. I played pee wee and Jr. High football and baseball in college and am incredibly pro-sports. I know there's not a chance in hell I will let my son play football.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe enough parents just refuse to let their kids play football and the sport atrophies. Those talented athletes are directed into other sports by mom and dad and never get a chance to decide they want to play football. I played pee wee and Jr. High football and baseball in college and am incredibly pro-sports. I know there's not a chance in hell I will let my son play football.

A large majority of the D-1 football athletes come from broken or low income families. Football and basketball is seen as an escape. Until you have a multimillion dollar sport to replace it parents will continue to register their kids. Football and basketball marketing is at an all time high. There's a reason why Jordan became a billionaire.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Jomashop is legit. I bought an Omega from them and haven't had any issues with it. My rule of thumb is that you should look for a discount that is bigger than what a full manufacturer's service would cost. If something happens to the watch, you take it to Omega to service and then you'll have a manufacturer's warranty (post-service).

If I was buying a speedy, I would go with the hesalite, manual version or the FOIS.
Thanks for the response. I like Sapphire more than hesalite. So I'm about pull the trigger on an Omega Speedmaster Pro with Sapphire but am split on gator strap vs metal.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A large majority of the D-1 football athletes come from broken or low income families. Football and basketball is seen as an escape. Until you have a multimillion dollar sport to replace it parents will continue to register their kids. Football and basketball marketing is at an all time high. There's a reason why Jordan became a billionaire.

No disagreement with any of that. I just think the danger of the sport is impacting its popularity already. Youth football numbers are way down if I recall correctly. That has to have a long term impact.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I like Sapphire more than hesalite. So I'm about pull the trigger on an Omega Speedmaster Pro with Sapphire but am split on gator strap vs metal.

I have made this mistake, so I speak from experience. Always get the metal bracelet. I think OEM leather straps are an enormous rip off. You can easily find leather straps that are just as good as the Omega OEM leather for a fraction of the price. You can't, however, find a suitable, less expensive version of the stock bracelet.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
I have made this mistake, so I speak from experience. Always get the metal bracelet. I think OEM leather straps are an enormous rip off. You can easily find leather straps that are just as good as the Omega OEM leather for a fraction of the price. You can't, however, find a suitable, less expensive version of the stock bracelet.
You just made my life easier. I see that if I get the bracelet, it comes with a few extra stuff including a NATO strap. I'll go with the bracelet and see what I can get if I ever want to go leather strap. Thanks again.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This ^^ get the OEM bracelet. Then, if you still want leather, get a nice aftermarket one.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun fact: the top bowler in 1963 (Harry Smith) made more money than the MLB MVP (Sandy Koufax) and the NFL MVP (Y.A. Tittle, whoever that is) combined.

I don't bowl (every time I tried as a kid I hurt my hand); I just find it fascinating how in the 60s and 70s it was going to be the biggest sport in the country.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun fact: the top bowler in 1963 (Harry Smith) made more money than the MLB MVP (Sandy Koufax) and the NFL MVP (Y.A. Tittle, whoever that is) combined.

I don't bowl (every time I tried as a kid I hurt my hand); I just find it fascinating how in the 60s and 70s it was going to be the biggest sport in the country.

Fun(ner) fact - It's 100% socially acceptable to drink alcohol while bowling!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am clearly not the most informed person on sports. I do read that the Pop Warner league is having issues as parents are increasingly holding their kids back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads